HP ProBook 4440s ONLY charges when OFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP ProBook 4440s ONLY charges when OFF

Hello all, has anyone encountered this issue? I've read the usual suspect is AD_ID or LIMIT_SIGNAL (in this case) but I'm measuring 7V. I suspect it is the power jack, but there's continuity between the center pin and the pin #3 of the cable.

Re: HP ProBook 4440s ONLY charges when OFF

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...f/td-p/5875274

Comment

Tried disabling the driver and still the same, but my symptom differs from his, the jack only turns on amber/orange LED when the laptop is off, when the laptop is on, it doesn't have the white or amber LED, it's as if the ac/dc adapter is not plugged in, but Window says it's plugged in.

Comment

mybe u need try to use live linux

Comment

Link or post the schematic for this laptop in the schematic forum.

The power adapter is not the proper rated model for this laptop or the laptop circuit is detecting the adapter to be under powered. When the laptop is off, the battery charging is able to continue and vice-versa. Unable to perform both tasks to keep the laptop powered and charge the battery.

Comment

Same effect booting with PartedMagic.

The adapter is original, but I also tried another adapter.

Schematic ---> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...09#post1012109
            Last edited by Vesko356; 06-12-2023, 03:26 PM. Reason: Attached schematic removed and replaced with link.

Comment

Measure the voltage to ground of VOLTAGE_ADC with the power adapter plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                Measure the voltage to ground of VOLTAGE_ADC with the power adapter plugged in.

Measuring PIN 3 of D2703 (VOLTAGE_ADC) I'm getting 1.45V

Also, I notice when I plug in the adapter, the led in the dc jack turn on white for 1 second.

To clarify, the laptop doesn't charge when I turn it off, I have to unplug ac/dc adapter then remove battery and then plug in the adapter, if I turn off the OS, it won't charge until I do that procedure.

Comment

Measure the voltage to ground of each pin on mosfet PU4002.

Source (1-2-3)
                  Gate (4) = ACDRV
                  Drain (5-6-7-8)

Do not remove the battery - leave in both, the adapter and the battery.

For this mosfet to enable, the gate voltage must be ~25 volts.

This boosted gate voltage must be stable at all times to confirm the logic board is being powered by the external power adapter. Otherwise, the battery is powering the logic board.

Comment

Measure the voltage to ground of each pin on mosfet PU4002.

Source (1-2-3)
                    Gate (4) = ACDRV
                    Drain (5-6-7-8)

Do not remove the battery - leave in both, the adapter and the battery.

For this mosfet to enable, the gate voltage must be ~25 volts.

This boosted gate voltage must be stable at all times to confirm the logic board is being powered by the external power adapter. Otherwise, the battery is powering the logic board.

With battery + adapter:

19.3v
                    25v
                    19.15v

Just adapter:
                    19.7v
                    25.67v
                    19.7v

I have to add that when I plug in the adapter, although it doesn't charge the battery, the battery doesn't discharge, but the dc jack led is off.

Comment

If you remove the battery and use only the power adapter, does the DC jack led remain on?

Does the laptop function with only the power adapter?

Test with a known good battery. Grab one from Amazon. You can always return it if it is not required.
                      Last edited by mon2; 05-27-2023, 04:55 AM.

Comment

If you remove the battery and use only the power adapter, does the DC jack led remain on?

Does the laptop function with only the power adapter?

Test with a known good battery. Grab one from Amazon. You can always return it if it is not required.
                        I'm not with the laptop at the moment, but it can work without the battery, just power adapter.

I forgot to state that I already ordered a generic battery off of eBay. So it's been tested with 2 power adapters and 2 batteries (generic).

I have to see if the led remains on if I remove the battery.

Comment

Just tested it, while off:

I remove the battery, put it back in, plug in power adapter: white (full ) or amber (charging) led turn on.

But if I remove the battery while the power adapter is plugged in: the led turns off immediately.

Comment

Bumping, would appreciate if anyone can help.

I tried with a new dc in jack and the symptoms are the same.

I tried flashing a new bios with clean ME too.

Even Windows says the adapter is plugged in, but the dcin jack has no LED on.

Most strange thing is that the laptop's screen react (brighten and dim) when the adapter is plugged/unplugged.
                            Last edited by orientalsniper; 06-12-2023, 06:26 AM.

Comment

It charges now, I was running the HP Battery Check.
                              When I first ran it, it said adapter plugged in. Ran the tool a second time and it showed charging, so it was like huh? Looked at the dc jack and it was amber!

I kinda suspect it was the ME clean combined with the HP Battery Check tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X