HP Elitedesk 800 G6 lost BIOS admin password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elitedesk 800 G6 lost BIOS admin password

Hello everyone, I am looking for help as I am struggling to remove lost BIOS Admin password on an HP EliteDesk G6 800 series desktop. I wanted to reset the vPro remote control IP kvm for homelab use.

Here is the hardware identification specs:
    HP EliteDesk 800 G6 Desktop Mini PC
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10500 CPU @ 3.10GHZ 16384 MB RAM
    BIOS ver S21 Ver. 02.05.01 01/05/2021
    Born on date: 07/26/2021
    SN MXL11841GN
    SKU 3X8V9UCHABA
    UUID 8116E79EF6FFE94DB0B98A3188270C5C
    SYSTEM BOARD ID 8710
    SYSTEM BOARD CT NUKBER PJLHQ0A8JF236L
    BIOS/IC chip seems to be Gigadevice 25B127DSIG located next to WIFI m.2 slot (see photo).

Tools at my disposal:
    - CH341a programmer (black)
    - my very limited past experience dumping/modying BIOS in other one motherboard (so I know CH341a works for others not this time)
    - computer boots up (not currently bricked)
    - HP 800 G6 running a very old BIOS from 2021 (no longer available in HP site; apparently it has security vulnerabilities, not sure if I can take advantage of this to override BIOS pw without flashing?)
    - hopefully your help

Troubleshooting:
    - I have attempted to access the BIOS with CH341a (black) programmer, using SOC8 clip and multiple different programs attempted but failed. The programs I have tried: AsProgrammer 2.0.4, NeoProgrammer v2.2.0.10, CH341a v2.2.0
    - I did attempt to do CMOS reset via button + battery pull out but that only achieves 'bios defaults' reset and no BIOS Admin password removal.
    - I don't have any soldering skills or tools. If this will be my only recourse, please share some advice on cheap aliexpress essential tools needed for this job?

All my attempts with the CH341a to read BIOS result in either:
    - IC chip not detected
    - NeoProgrammer message asking for "Choose Microwire Adapter" (this is weird as this chip isn't microwire? but I am a noob so can't tell 100% see photo of programmer setup).
    - NeoProgrammer detects a chip but it is FFFF or some random id that seems inaccurate (no specs on the chip are shown, just an id)
    - All my attempts to read BIOS chip are done with motherboard disconnected from power, BIOS CMOS battery still on the board.

While I have read that my progammer CH341a (black) can be sending 5 volts to data pins, I was still expecting to be able to "read" the IC chip in some way with this programmer. So far unsuccesful and not sure why. I just ordered a newer CH341a v1.7 model which has a voltage switch: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804266379696.html need to wait 2-3 weeks for arrival not sure if it will make a difference.

Attached is a BIOS dump from flashrom from linux live CD. I did `flashrom -r backup.bin` some SPI "locked" errors were shown but dump was completed and attached. Opened the .bin file in UEFItool and I do see the GB and other regions so I think it may be somewhat "ok" (I do not know if some data is hidden when reading bios in this way; it seemed like it would prevent access to some areas of the raw data on the chip since I am using the booted OS on the device itself).

Some questions:
    - Can I trust the only BIOS dump I was able to do via `flashrom -r backup.bin` regardless of the warnings/errors, or is the backup incomplete if I were to buy a brand new IC chip to program outside the board?
    - Does Gigadevice 25B127DSIG shutdown and prevent reading if CH341a (black) sends more than v3.3 on its data pins? In other words would my newer CH341a v1.7 possibly fix my IC detection and read problems (anyone tried new version of the CH341a)?
    - On boot screen this computer claims it has "HP Sure Start" BIOS protection mechanism: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06216928 - is this the reason why my programmer is unable to read IC chip without desoldering (or am I making wrong assumptions)?
    - If the Gigadevice 25B127DSIG is hard to detect or uncommon, can I easily replace this with a more common or easy chip like Winbond and simply restore the backup.bin from flashrom and expect this to work without the controller/hp sure start bricking the board?
    Attached Files

Re: HP Elitedesk 800 G6 lost BIOS admin password

Originally posted by intelg View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking for help as I am struggling to remove lost BIOS Admin password on an HP EliteDesk G6 800 series desktop.
    Unlocked
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-04-2023, 02:53 AM. Reason: edited full OP quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Originally posted by hoaca388 View Post
      Unlocked
      If I am unable to read/write bios with programmer, is there any windows tool that will accept this unlocked bios and flash it from windows or MSDOS?

SPI Region is blocked for write; so not sure if any Intel BIOS tool will let me take the unlocked dump and overwrite or if i must do programmer then I have to figure out how to solve my issues i mentioned in my post that it won't detect.

Comment

Originally posted by intelg View Post
        If I am unable to read/write bios with programmer, is there any windows tool that will accept this unlocked bios and flash it from windows or MSDOS?

SPI Region is blocked for write; so not sure if any Intel BIOS tool will let me take the unlocked dump and overwrite or if i must do programmer then I have to figure out how to solve my issues i mentioned in my post that it won't detect.
        You need a Programmer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
        Become a Badcaps supporter
        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
        Thanks to all supporters.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Code:
          - NeoProgrammer message asking for "Choose Microwire Adapter" (this is weird as this chip isn't microwire? but I am a noob so can't tell 100% see photo of programmer setup).
          Answering my own question. My CH341a programmer was faulty. I obtained another CH341a programmer and using the same clips it worked at reading and flashing.

Had to use RCUnlocker after to remove the password. Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
          X