Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe CPU Cooler Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe CPU Cooler Suggestions

Looking for a member recommendation for a reasonably priced cooler, $40-$60.

Asus P5AD2-E Premium
    P4 560 LGA775, Intel 925XE & ICH6R chipsets
    Here's the CPUID info:

System is < 3 years old but has always run a bit warm on daily stuff and really hits the gas when running a game such as Doom 3.

I'm also using it for folding. That really jumps it up 50°F, going to 154-160°F.

I have only found one program that works with this board regarding monitoring the temps. CPUID Hardware Monitor.

The PSU fan ramps up rather loudly when I'm in the game, but comes back down after I exit and is back to normal in about a minute.

I'm using the stock Intel cooler, but it's the Copper Core cooler. Used AS5 on it. It has never really kept it below 110°F.

I used a Thermaltake CL-P0092 on it's twin, and it runs much cooler when running intense apps. Unfortunately, they've changed models and that cooler is NLA.

Your suggestions are welcomed. Height is a consideration, so one of the aerial lollipops is not an option. Neither is water.

TIA!
    Toast
    veritas odium parit

Re: Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe CPU Cooler Suggestions

i have a avc copper core 775 sink on a qx9650 with no issues.copper core is full height.has a 92mm fan and a removeable duct.bought it for $1 at a hamfest.$1 well spent.its big and heavy.

Comment

Toasty you might want to consider an H50 Corsair - yes it is water but completely self - contained - 59.99 on sale at Best Buy It comes with adapters for Intel and AMD CPUs - I have one on a Phenom II X4 965 and very happy with it - very cool and quiet

Comment

Thank you both for your ideas!

With all the "tweakers" here, I really hoped for more input than this...

KC - is it one of these in the first row? :

http://www.cwc-group.com/sope4prlgced.html

DBS: it sounds like a good idea, I just am extremely wary of water inside my unit(s).

I have a second unit in parts, soon to be assembled.

Any other suggestions are heartily welcomed.

Thanks!
        Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

First of all....what is your budget.
          Second....what sort of cooling are you after (I will simply assume air cooling).

Do you care about it being quiet?

Anyway...I like the Noctua heatsink's that are available where I live. They look great, are very quiet. However they are reasonably large (so be careful if you plan on fitting one in a small case) and they are quiet expensive to boot.

Comment

Hi Shadow,

Thanks for the reply!

In my original post I said $40-$60. The bloody cooler is worth more than the chip nowadays! LOL

Yes, air cooling is what I'm after. Again from the original, "Height is a consideration, so one of the aerial lollipops is not an option. Neither is water."

It's an Antec Sonata case with an air duct from the back emptying over the Video card and CPU.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

You can check out the coolers available here: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ath=207_23_311

I know its an Aussie site. However it has a fair range of products and all the specs are there.

I assume that you really want to keep this air duct. This limits your choices significantly due to height restriction.

You can check out:
              * Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 LP - This one does not look great but the price is very good
              * Scythe Big Shuriken CPU Cooler - This one looks great but is quite expensive
              * Thermalright AXP-140 Low Profile Heatsink - This one also looks good but is expensive

I know there are others, these are just the ones available on pccasegear.

Comment

I ended up getting a Noctua cooler from tiger direct last year for 70 dollars. Lowered my temps about 15 degrees. I had to modify the case for it to fit but, the hottest core is 120 at idle, the coolest is 104. The hottest core hits 140 under full load. Something similar might work for you.

Regards. Ron.
                sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Working...
                X