K9N Platinum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K9N Platinum

I have a MSI K9N Platiunum. I'm familiar wIth the cap issue and was an electronic technician. I was experiencing random shut downs and BSOD's. Opened up my box and sure enough I have three bad caps right between the CPU heatsink and the power supply tranistors heatsink. There are six total. They are 3300mF 6.3v. The brand is KZG. Has anyone heard of this brand or issues with this particular board.

Re: K9N Platinum

Forgot to mention the build date on the board is 08-06. No date code on the caps that I can see.

Comment

Those are Nippon Chemi-Con KZG caps. Chemi-Con caps are usually good but KZG series is prone to fail early under high heat stress. Replace all KZGs near the CPU.

Comment

Check the psu out also.

Comment

The above is correct.
          Chemicon KZG are in common use and have problems near heat.
          - You're lucky in a way because they don't always bloat when they fail.
          Bad caps in the PSU might have helped them along.

Specs wise they (in 3300uF/6.3v) are rated at 2800 for Ripple and .012 for ESR.
          That's on a par with Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, Samxon GD, and Panasonic FJ (in 10x25mm for FJ).

Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

My PSU is an Antec 400 watt. SL400 Has anybody seen these failing. I'll open it up and take a look. I got some Rubycons on order. I'll post my findings after the repair.

Comment

Went ahead and opend my PSU. It does have one bad cap on one of the outputs. Clearly blown. The wires are in the way I need to tear it down completely to see which rail and what brand. I'll probably just buy a new PSU. What have you guys had good success with. I'm running an AMD 5600 x2 only 1 DVD/CDRW (sata) and 2 SATA HDD's. I do have a bunch of case fans.

Thanks

Comment

The Corsair hx520w are good supplies at a reasonable price. I've running a few of them now.

Give up on the Antecs.

Comment

Good news on the mobo. I replaced the 6 caps with rubycons and it seems to be running fine. I have 3 PC's. I opened all 3 Antec PSU's. Two of the three have blown caps. I'm useing the one that is relativly new until I can get the corsair. I'll never buy Antec again.

Comment

Originally posted by ARACH
                    I'll never buy Antec again.
                    Good decision. I gave up on them when I found out that they have Ltec caps in their EA500D power supplies bundled with their popular Sonata III case. There's gonna be an inrush of faulty EA500D units at some point for sure.

Comment

I bought an EA500D just to look at the guts and there is only one LTEC bigger than 5mm.
                      - And only two 5mm or smaller. All the rest are Capxon. [Primaries are Samxon.]
                      It's a 1000uF 10v 8mm in +5vsb output and it's right in the suction of the fan so it's well cooled.
                      Not hard to get to if it does need replaced.
                      It's LZG series 1050/.070 so an FC wouldn't be enough but a KZE or ZL would be an upgrade.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X