Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A7S333 1 long beep 3 short beep and shut down ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A7S333 1 long beep 3 short beep and shut down ?

Here are some photos of the board, may be you guys will have an image which component is faulty ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bianchi77 View Post
      I have replaced all the FETs and it's still happened....turn on trying to POST and shut off after few seconds ??
      After a few seconds or after a very quick second? (i.e. nearly instantly?). A short-circuit or bad VRM typically shuts down the PSU nearly instantly (like 1 second or less).

Here are some photos of the board, may be you guys will have an image which component is faulty ?
      Well, sorry to say, but those pictures are extremely blurry and not very helpful.

Anyways, 3 short beeps could be RAM issue, so try cleaning the RAM slots. Better yet, give the motherboard a good wash with warm water and a few drops of dish detergent (but make sure to remove CMOS coin battery first!). Then dry the motherboard for a few days, preferably in a sunny windy place. Then test again. Sometimes dust and dirt can cause random RAM issues.
      I almost always wash any finicky boards I get.

By the way, please try to consolidate your multiple one-sentence posts into a single larger post. It's really hard to keep track of what you said and tested when you split everything into a million posts.
      Last edited by momaka; 09-08-2016, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion....it's after few seconds....I'll take the video later on ..

Comment

When I checked the Vcore on startup, it was raising to 3.3V for Vcore...that's why system is shutting down after few seconds....it's not the right voltage for AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Thoroughbred which is 1.5V....

I suspect my buck controller is not working properly....
          Any suggestions ? since all the FETs are new one....and without CPU...the whole board is running properly...

Comment

After a few seconds or after a very quick second? (i.e. nearly instantly?). A short-circuit or bad VRM typically shuts down the PSU nearly instantly (like 1 second or less).
            after few seconds....until it's trying to find memory
            C1C1.....no memory...beep...and shut down...I don't get it ??

Comment

A short-circuit
              In which area ? CPU ? caps ? FETs ? Buck controller ?

Comment

Here's the video...
                https://youtu.be/K9nPxWnfSWo

I got 9.2 ohms on the output of VRM to CPU...is that normal....or one of the capacitors is faulty....they look good physically but no idea if they are bad....
                Any clues ?

bad VRM
                = can it be a bad buck controller NCP5322 ? looks burned..
                Last edited by bianchi77; 09-13-2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Some photos of VRM area...caps, FETs, buck controller...
                  caps look good, FETs are brand new....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Better yet, give the motherboard a good wash with warm water and a few drops of dish detergent (but make sure to remove CMOS coin battery first!).
                    Do you mean there is a dirt / dust on RAM slot ? sounds like bathing a car....
                    in my observation, the board is clean enough...not dusty...
                    another thing, it's not dirtyness on RAM slot, by the time I put RAM, triple beep and C1C1 no RAM is gone...and it's just shut down instantly without beep....
                    Last edited by bianchi77; 09-16-2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

close up of NCP5322....with microscope...still I can not see the label...I reckon it was burned...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Light it from the side. There is definitely writing on there

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                          Light it from the side. There is definitely writing on there
                          Yes it's something there, but without the light...it's completely black...
                          I tried to see the label...and that's the best I can get....the light is on lense..

Comment

Do you mean there is a dirt / dust on RAM slot ? sounds like bathing a car....
                            in my observation, the board is clean enough...not dusty...
                            Yes, it's like washing a car... or cleaning the dishes in the kitchen, if you like

I always do it with board that doesn't work. That way, if there are any metal shavings or something else creating a bridge/short-circuit on IC pins or under a BGA chip, there's a chance that washing the board may get those out.

As long as you rinse and dry the board well, it's perfectly safe to do. I have motherboards that are close to 10 years old now that have been washed and still work (though, they were always working to begin with... so I am just implying washing the boards is safe).

close up of NCP5322....with microscope...still I can not see the label...I reckon it was burned...
                            I've seen IC chips and MOSFETs like that and they weren't burned. I suspect whatever the manufacturer used for making the marks on top wasn't very good and has just worn off with heat and time. Or perhaps after the motherboard was washed after manufacturing.

Only if an IC has chips and cracks, then it's much more likely to be burned.
                            Last edited by momaka; 09-22-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

after I removed that chip for a test....the short is gone and it can run normally....
                              I'm still thinking replacing this chip and see the response....
                              no other way ....FETs are new...caps are ok...what else could it be around CPU VRM ?

Comment

after I removed that chip for a test....the short is gone and it can run normally....
                                I'm still thinking replacing this chip and see the response....
                                Interesting.
                                Ok, do that and let us know what happens.
                                I hope you can find a replacement chip, though. The board being old as it is, this could be a bit tricky.

Comment

Yup, I'll find that chip and resolder back, easy and simple...I like it if it's running again...doesn't matter if it's old, I ever used this model and CPU before...
                                  ECS series....but same chipset....L7S7A2...
                                  http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Pro...uID=24&LanID=0

It would be nice if I can find that board again....not bad in that era...

Comment

I like it if it's running again...doesn't matter if it's old
                                    Same here. I myself have quite a few old motherboards from the Pentium 3 era, and they are still useful to me. Namely an ASUS CUR-DLS I use in a file server, a Gigabyte GA-60XT that is my main computer for the "country-side" house - that one is pretty speedy and boots Windows XP in less than 15 seconds... and last but not least a Jetway N2PAP-LITE that was in my first own computer. That motherboard was the start of everything I know about computers today, so it's very special to me. I recapped it back in 2013 and still take it out of the closet every once in a while to use it. Has the original Windows XP installation I put on it way back in 2003/2004.

So yeah, I understand you, it's good to have these older motherboards working again.

Comment

Yeah , you're right, another one I'm interested in...coreboot..
                                      Have you played with it ?

Comment

I put new NCP5322, and now it can start only a glance and shut off straight away....
                                        what do you think the cause ?

Comment

I've taken off all the FETs and now it's running normally without CPU...
                                          I tried changing all the FETs again....and see what happens....

Comment

Working...
                                          X