Asus P4S533-MX question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P4S533-MX question

hi everyone, been lurking around for a while, guess it's about time i joined in..
    anyway, i have this P4S533-MX board that I want to preemptively recap. caps look okay and it posts fine but I just want to avoid any future trouble.. it's got 3 KZE's on it and the rest are OST and "Elite" (?!)
    what i'm wondering about is this..

6 empty spaces in a row looks a little odd, do you think I should fill in some/all of them with extra caps? would anything explode if I do?

(btw, the 5 caps in a group there are Elite 1500uF 6.3v)

Re: Asus P4S533-MX question

Yes, you can add more. Be careful as Asus boards have reversed marking on the PCB (the white half is positive - as you can see on other caps on the board).

Comment

Measure the voltage, if you want to be safe. but i would say any Intel board should be fully equiped with all caps.
      I cant belive, that Asus used Elite brand, shame on them, or is this a older board?

Comment

Looking in the MOSFET area. Is that missing MOSFET spots? It does look like a cut down VRM supply. It should be safe to add more caps. Just make sure that they are quality low ESR types, Nichicon , Rubycon,United Chemicon or Samxon.
        Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
        Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
        160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
        Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
        160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
        Samsung 18x DVD writer
        Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
        33 way card reader
        Windows XP Pro SP3
        Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
        17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
        HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

while you are at it replace the others in that group.
          i have seen several asus boards with elite caps bad.
          last one of those i had i replaced and filled all spots with panasonic fm.
          cutomer emailed back that the glitches the board had from new were gone.
          he sent 5 more the next week.

Comment

I had P4S533-MX and the caps were OST insted of Elite, IIRC. It's older board as it has both SDRAM and DDR memory slots.

Comment

yep, and a maximum 533MHz FSB, presumably
              still, it's not too bad a platform, i work with lots of stuff older.. i've seen so many crapped out socket A boards that i'm starting to think no one made a well capped one ever
              anyway, thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
              X