Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5GD2-X new project and more

Hey all,
    I'm very new to electrical fine soldering (or soldering at all).
    I have an used old motherboard which I want to start an interesting (and in fact, for fixing, testing, trialing and improving purposes) project on it.
    there are few photos on the way...

First of all, i whould like to get from you a general equipment recommendation to start working on it (iron solder, pump, materials and such...)
    my budget is slightly over 1000$, but if there's a way to keep it under or about 250-350$ it will be more than nice (for starters )

Lets start:

On MB itself there are 2 bulged caps; one is around case panel pins and other is between the second and third PCI Slot.
    there is also a wierd problem with 2-3 ram slots that are not functioning, I've added a photo of the suspicious area that seems to be
    with some corrosion, there is also wierd yellowish material on board, likely (not sure) because of me eating on it :X (is it peanut butter?! )

so my goal is to replace all caps on board, and maybe few others components that i don't know what they are

I will be more than happy to recive some good ideas of moding the board (vmods? other mods?),

and for which caps to use (series, dims) . there's also space for 10 more caps on board;

X1 on usb f_panel/chasis fan pins,
    X1 between second and third PCI slots,
    X2 arround northbridge,
    X4 arround and inbetween RAM slots (and i think arround the 20+4 pin),
    X2 where's the CPU socket.

note: what do you think about polymod ? any possibilities?

(I'm using this thread mainly because it's not a big deal)

Next thing is my old Graphic card - ATI Radeon X1950pro 512MB;
    there are 3 bulged caps on it and it gives truely bad artifacts!
    there is also a 4th cap of the same model that probably will be better to replace as well.
    help me decide what to do with it !

If there is any miss info please let me know, I'll do my best to give answers.

btw, if it will all go well the next project will be PSU (and probably even if it won't go well .. )

p.s - sorry for the dust, sometimes I really need a good housemade

with some reason I couldn't attached photos/rar file so i just uploaded the photos and
    posted.
    notice Im not a great photographer + all photos were taken with my casual camera[olumpus u1010]

Motherboard :

680uf 6.3v

1500uf 6.3 (IER series not sure)

KZG 100uf 16v

KZG 820uf 6.3v bulged f_panel buttons and leds pins

KZG 1000uf 16v

MB general overlook

another MB general overlook

MB overlook - option caps and mosfets

corrosion & juice (or maybe it was peanut butter -ram area

another corrosion & juice (yep, still maybe it was peanut butter -ram area

TMV 680uf 4v

Graphic Card:

X1950pro bulged caps

X1950pro bulged caps another view

X1950pro overlook
    Last edited by PsyMaster; 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM.

Re: Asus P5GD2-X new project and more

Why haven't you got a protector cover over the socket ?

Won't matter how many capacitors you replace if you damage those fragile pins
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

These pins are perfectly fine, i don't have any trouble related to the cpu.
      this old MB has been in use untill recently (just grabbed another old and a little better board instead of him)
      It's working, but as I stated above what i'm doing is for fixing, testing, trialing and improving purposes... just need a bit of help for starters.

- I don't mind if that board will go to hell in the end of it ( I rather prefer it won't so I'll get positive results.. lol )

Comment

no one into the challenge ?

Comment

Why was my reply in this thread deleted?
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I'm sry mockingbird,
            I haven't seen nothing from you.
            what ever was the cause, i don't know.
            however, what do you think about hakko fx-888d, or fx-951 for starters?
            (or any other suggestions)

Comment

Hakko FX888 will be fine, plenty of replacement tips and spare parts available for it ... fx951 as far as I'm aware is a much older station.

FX888 or FX888d are the same, the d just has a digital display of temperature, otherwise is the same.

Get some quality solder wire, with good flux, rosin based or no-clean flux (stay away from water based fluxes or highly active fluxes)...

I recommend 63/37 or 60/40 , rosin/no-clean, 2-3% flux, low diameter (let's say under 0.6mm) etc

some suggestions :

http://il.farnell.com/multicore-sold...250g/dp/419308
              http://il.farnell.com/multicore-sold...50g/dp/5090787
              http://il.farnell.com/stannol/hs10-2...250g/dp/817480
              http://il.farnell.com/edsyn/su5250/s...250g/dp/835444

They may seem expensive, but it's a large quantity and it will last you a long time. I prefer the Multicore brand, but the Stannol and Edsyn brands are also great.

Get some extra liquid flux, it will always help:

http://il.farnell.com/electrolube/sm...12ml/dp/891186
              http://il.farnell.com/edsyn/fl88/flu...15ml/dp/876732
              http://il.farnell.com/circuitworks/c...n-9g/dp/130692

mokingbird ... everyone should know how to use Google Translate to convert something to and from Hebrew ... no need to strain yourself with other languages.
              Last edited by mariushm; 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much mariushm.
                I'm about to order the equipment than when it will arrive i'll get started, and will keep the post updated.
                for whom may concern, I'm about to start my degree [computer engineering @ the next summer].
                mockingbird,
                I'm not so sure about foreign languages on this forum since i'm new, but if no one will have any problem with us speaking hebrew it will be great.

how about caps?
                Last edited by PsyMaster; 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

PsyMaster... i gave you links to farnell, because they have a version of their site for Israel ... so I assume they ship there for a reasonable fee.

Digikey will naturally charge a high shipping fee unless you order a lot of stuff.

If you can't find the stuff you want on Farnell, there's also RS-Online, they also have a version of their site for Israel:

http://il.rsdelivers.com/?&cm_mmc=Wo..._-MainWorldMap

And really, while I don't think there's a rule against writing in Hebrew, it's kinda rude, and it prevents other people from finding this thread through the forum search or other search engines in case they have problems with the same motherboard.

Comment

well, sry for that, we'll keep on english .
                    we were just speaking about where i'm gonna get new caps from ...
                    last time i checked farnell site was down, i'll check again soon.
                    and rs-online actualy seems with reasonable shipping fee ! great.
                    (many appreciations for going directly to IL sites).
                    now i just have to choose the right brand/series .

edit -
                    i saw these cheap chinabina soldering stations in farrnel, do they worth anything ?

http://il.farnell.com/tenma/21-10115...-eu/dp/2062627
                    http://il.farnell.com/tenma/at60d-eu...-eu/dp/2075392
                    Last edited by PsyMaster; 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

all cpu vrm caps (8 of them, there are 2 open for more) are 680uf 4v TMV,
                      I want to switch to poly, what do you think ? which type should i take?

the 2 yellow caps (680uf, 6.3v) that are close to the ram, sb and psu socket are tricky, can't find anything
                      equivalent ... how about them ?
                      Last edited by PsyMaster; 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM.

Comment

This is an english-speaking forum, speak it.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by PsyMaster View Post
                          all cpu vrm caps (8 of them, there are 2 open for more) are 680uf 4v TMV,
                          I want to switch to poly, what do you think ? which type should i take?
                          560uF 4V polies will do fine for the TMVs. I often replace 680uF lytics on MSI boards with 560uF poiles. Something like http://il.farnell.com/nichicon/rl80g...-20/dp/1854122 would do fine. Fill the blank spots up too

Originally posted by PsyMaster View Post
                          the 2 yellow caps (680uf, 6.3v) that are close to the ram, sb and psu socket are tricky, can't find anything
                          equivalent ... how about them ?
                          Those are polies. They shouldn't need to be replaced
                          Last edited by c_hegge; 08-31-2013, 03:04 AM.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X