Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zyxel Prestige 642M-11 ADSL Bridge (Modem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zyxel Prestige 642M-11 ADSL Bridge (Modem)

A good friend of mine had one of these modems crap out at an office of his last summer. He has many offices. He has since replaced them with Alcatel units he purchased on the net. He gave them to me to look at, but I didn't have time 'til now. Damn if this thing doesn't have Hermei all through it. None of them showing physical signs. Any places I should probe on the board first?

Re: Zyxel Prestige 642M-11 ADSL Bridge (Modem)

yep hermei, supacon in zyxel equipment

how long was the unit in operation? i have some of that stuff.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I got about 3 1/2 years of good hard use out of it. Not bad compared to other consumer electronics I've come into lately. Though it really doesn't do much as far as loads, heat, etc. I borrowed a friend's Speedstream to get me running again. It worked on my provider immediately. I'm curious about the Westel brand modems (white plastic case) since they have tendencies to drop connections randomly and often. Anyone here that knows, will not use them. They avoid them and buy alternatives. The local Bell provider gives them away like candy to their DSl subscribers. If those people only knew!

Comment

i got a 652hw-31 here at home and various say 1 year earlier models at offices i have installed around the place. dsl came late here but the service is good. the isps were offering either intracom (local company) or alcatel modem/routers. then the dslams are either of those companies and a match is heaven. anyway i did not see any probs with the zyxel. nice equipment although i dont play games online. i have a gs-1008 8 port gigabit switch at home with suspect caps also. i will recap in the next months then i dont mind and some of the offices could use an upgrade when their units crap out.

i am suprised i did not see much mention of zyxel and badcaps on the net.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
        X