Acer 1716B no picture, Blinking power light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer 1716B no picture, Blinking power light

Personally, I have done something similar and find the new caps will still work fine as long as their is some solder pad left. I just choose really good caps so they last and hope I don't have to resolder anytime soon.

Others may have different viewpoints, but I think you will be okay if you just leave them.

I have also actually lifted the entire solder pad and then had to put in jumper wires to get connectivity.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you, I hope to get the rest of the soldering tonight them, when I get a moment and report back
      I was amazed at how the easy the trace came, off this is only the second monitor I have worked on and the other seemed to have much better traces I'm guessing. I have had problems with traces on really on stuff like the Atari 2600, but was a little shocked on this on. I will reall be more careful now knowing these are that delicate. I another Acer to work on so will see.

Will I be ok on the Transisstors as well?

Out of Curiosity, and for future reference. If I had to run a jumper would I just run it to the nearest trace in the same circuit, and in most cases it wouldn't matter what the component is? I have had to run a jumper once I believe but it was for something minor like a battery connection or or for a trace for a wire harness. I wasn't sure if something like a Cap or a Transistor or Voltage regulator would make a difference or a re mroe touchy as long as it a connection. I didn't know if wire size and such would matter much?
      Thanks,
      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nico95 View Post
        Will I be ok on the Transisstors as well?
        Yes.

If I had to run a jumper would I just run it to the nearest trace in the same circuit, and in most cases it wouldn't matter what the component is?
        That is what I did for my Benq power board. I ran it to the nearest trace in the same circuit and nearest component. I used a multimeter to verify the circuitry and that I had continuity.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Great, that is good to know. I have a feeling I will run into that, I know I have a Atari I have to still jimmy rig bagtogether. I Got a new NOS wire connector but a bunch of traces are really bad, so time permitting I will be doing that.

Thanks, and I will post how I made out on the monitor,
          Oh one more question if you don't mind. I had to waste a new post. I bought more caps for another monitor(acer 1706) same problem but that had bulging caps. I didn't test the caps or anything else. I I am jsut going to replace the caps and fireher up and see How I make out. Since the caps are bulging I thought that would be the way to go and not wate time testing other stuff, will that be ok, That is replacing the caps and if there was another problem Im guessing I won't cause any more harm buy doing so?

Comment

Originally posted by nico95 View Post
            I didn't test the caps or anything else. I am jsut going to replace the caps and fireher up and see How I make out.
            I love to use my multimeter so I will typically test everything before I power up and put the covers back on.

If I'm lucky enough nowadays to get a lcd monitor, I don't know the history so I will test the bridge rectifier, fuses, power mosfet, inverter transformer with ohms to see if they are okay. After I replace the caps, I will check DC voltage to make sure they are stable.

In addition, I will measure the uF of the new caps and bad caps.

All the above probably takes less than 10 minutes.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sound like I need to make a new post maybe, I'm still learning at that other testing. I learning some from this monitor last time you helped me with the transistors. I guess I can get this one going and then start an new post on the other, maybe you could direct me on the testing of those parts in the other possiblely ?

Comment

A lot of this is already documented starting with post 13 and 14 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                X