No announcement yet.

Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Originally posted by crashp3 View Post
    Jetadm123, thank you for the quick reply!

Based on your advice, I checked the F1 fuse for continuity, and it appears to be blown. Q1-4 appear to be fine.

Anyone know where a replacment fuse can be found, or can I just wire up a regular fuse with wire leads to make it easier?
    DigiKey carries them.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I've read and read and read and I still need help.

Problem: When I plug in the power cord I hear a buzzing noise from one of the components nearest where the plug is plugged in. I can't detect exactly which component it is. No effects to the picture quality and/or the power in general. I figured I'd take care of it before it gets worse.

I've bought a repair capicitor kit from Hobbymods.. should have just gone to Radio Shack.. too late :p

I've checked all my caps and they look normal, no buldging. So I have no clue where to even begin as I don't want to unsolder the caps since they are still in good shape. I rarely use this monitor and now that I WANT TO USE IT there's problems :p

Here is a pic of my board... any and all help is appreciated

and just in case the pic doesn't show here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/spresho/5581166418/

Comment

What brand and series caps were in the kit?

Comment

Brand: nichicon

https://www.hobbymods.com/store/inde...tor-parts.html

Gateway LP2407, LCD Monitor Repair Kit

$11.99
          Quick Overview

This kit as the replacement capacitors to fix your broken monitor. If you are the DIY person and have soldering experiance this can save you $40 - $60 to have someone else replace your bad caps.

This kit has all NEW components:
          Qty value volts Temp
          1) 1000uf 25v 105* high temperature cap
          4) 1000uf 10v 105* high temperature caps
          1) 680uf 25v 105* high temperature cap
          3) 470uf 35v 105* high temperature caps
          1) 470uf 25v 105* high temperature cap
          1) 47uf 50v 105* high temperature cap
          1) 10uf 50v 105* high temperature cap
          1) Solder wire Pb60/Pb40 .050" dia
          1) Copper desoldering braid (Solder wick)

Comment

Originally posted by mkgirl View Post

Here is a pic of my board... any and all help is appreciated
            Please use the manage attachments function provided to upload your pictures so they are hosted on this forum. The max resolution is 2000x2000.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The picture manager isn't working.. I've resized my picture like 5 times.. the smallest file size was 87kb so I don't know what els to try besides my flikr link which is posted in my first post... help please.

Comment

The picture manager isn't working.. I've resized my picture like 5 times.. the smallest file size was 87kb so I don't know what els to try besides my flikr link which is posted in my first post... help please.
                You might have to reduce the resolution of the pictures the camera is taking. I have a problem with one of my cameras I have to reduce the resolution from 10m down to about 8m for things up load to badcaps, I have had problems even when the photos were resized.
                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

'll retry and retake the pics in a bit.

Comment

I've bought a repair capicitor kit from Hobbymods.. should have just gone to Radio Shack.. too late :p
                    Never head of Hobbymods, but Radio Shack does not sell low ESR (ohms) capacitors which is what is required on a power board that uses a SMPS.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                      OK, PlainBill and I were discussing a similar problem with a Gateway monitor on another post recently (Gateway fpd1975w). I came across your thread while searching for an answer. On the second photo (processor board), there is a component that has me concerned. On the photo, it is at the bottom right hand side of the blue oval. It is marked HT RBS31. I tried searching for a data sheet on this object and couldnt find one. My gateway processor board is different than this one however it has this same part. I noticed that this part, for some reason, has something moving around inside of it. My logic suggests that this cannot be a good thing. Anyone else ever see or test this component before? It almost looks like a photo trasistor or some type of isolation component.
                      This device is what tells your computer which orientation the monitor is in. Vertical or horizontal since it is a wide screen. It sits on a swivel base that allows you to turn the monitor longways and it will change the screen automatically.

Comment

Hello
                        New to forum
                        My Gateway FDP2485W has developed the problems described on this forum. I have ordered the capacitor kit and unassembled the monitor. Upon viewing the capcitors inside I did not observe any bulging but white stuff (hardened white stuff that appears to have leaked from the capacitors but is also on other components). Has anyone else seen this and would this indicate the same problem except the capacitors have ruptured instead of bulging?

Comment

Originally posted by Gkroeger View Post
                          Hello
                          New to forum
                          My Gateway FDP2485W has developed the problems described on this forum. I have ordered the capacitor kit and unassembled the monitor. Upon viewing the capcitors inside I did not observe any bulging but white stuff (hardened white stuff that appears to have leaked from the capacitors but is also on other components). Has anyone else seen this and would this indicate the same problem except the capacitors have ruptured instead of bulging?
                          No need to worry. The "white stuff" is an adhesive used by the manufacturer to hold parts in place prior to the soldering process. You can use a razor blade or hobby knife to slice through it when you are in the process of removing the old caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gkroeger View Post
                            My Gateway FDP2485W has developed the problems described on this forum.
                            Can you be more specific in the problem? No power? 2 seconds to black?
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              Can you be more specific in the problem? No power? 2 seconds to black?
                              Basically the same thing expressed by most here...

started taking longer and longer to come on. Then, would not come on without unplugging the power. Then,would not come on at all

Comment

Hi everyone,

About a year ago my FPD2485W started having a problems and I managed to bring it back to life by replacing the caps on the power board with the help of many in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...?t=8658&page=2

The monitor worked great for a few months, but then I started hearing a popping/crackling sound off of cold boots. After about 5 months, the monitor was dead again. Here's the latest symptoms and my troubleshooting steps so far:
                                • Symptoms: Monitor no longer has any display at all, no Gateway splash screen. Prior issue with power board at least displayed the Gateway splash, then no display. Menu button LEDs still light up and respond so the monitor has power and there is still the Gateway chime from the speakers. I have not tested with a flashlight to see if there is a picture with no backlight. I suspect it might be an issue with something on the inverter board.
                                • Troubleshooting done so far: I went ahead and replaced two leaking caps on the inverter board thinking they were the problem, but still no picture. I then came upon this thread and crashp3's post and found it nearly identical to the current problems I'm seeing. I then used a DMM to test the F1 fuse for continuity and found it was blown.

I'm looking for advice on where you all think the problem lies. From what I've read here, it sounds like the blown fuse is the problem and replacing it may be the solution, however, I'm concerned the "popping/crackling" sound will simply blow the fuse again if there's another underlying issue. Would replacing the inverter board caps (which I've done) be the solution for the popping crackling? I also read there's potential issue with the Q1-Q4 mosFETs being blown, there is some brown discoloration around Q3 but I did a few continuity tests with my DMM and they seem OK....

I definitely want to try and replace the F1 fuse, but I'm having problems finding the part on DigiKey. If anyone can link me the correct fuse that would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to order and replace any other parts that may be the issue simultaneously, as this is most likely my last attempt to fix this monitor. Replacing the mosFETs are definitely beyond my soldering ability, but I've read the big cap on the power board may be the problem, albeit rarely.

Hopefully some of you have some insight on this, I can provide pics if necessary but truthfully there's enough pictures and problems with this panel that I'm sure most of you who have been following this thread and helping out have seen it all.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by chizow View Post
                                  Hi everyone,

About a year ago my FPD2485W started having a problems and I managed to bring it back to life by replacing the caps on the power board with the help of many in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...?t=8658&page=2

The monitor worked great for a few months, but then I started hearing a popping/crackling sound off of cold boots. After about 5 months, the monitor was dead again. Here's the latest symptoms and my troubleshooting steps so far:
                                  • Symptoms: Monitor no longer has any display at all, no Gateway splash screen. Prior issue with power board at least displayed the Gateway splash, then no display. Menu button LEDs still light up and respond so the monitor has power and there is still the Gateway chime from the speakers. I have not tested with a flashlight to see if there is a picture with no backlight. I suspect it might be an issue with something on the inverter board.
                                  • Troubleshooting done so far: I went ahead and replaced two leaking caps on the inverter board thinking they were the problem, but still no picture. I then came upon this thread and crashp3's post and found it nearly identical to the current problems I'm seeing. I then used a DMM to test the F1 fuse for continuity and found it was blown.

I'm looking for advice on where you all think the problem lies. From what I've read here, it sounds like the blown fuse is the problem and replacing it may be the solution, however, I'm concerned the "popping/crackling" sound will simply blow the fuse again if there's another underlying issue. Would replacing the inverter board caps (which I've done) be the solution for the popping crackling? I also read there's potential issue with the Q1-Q4 mosFETs being blown, there is some brown discoloration around Q3 but I did a few continuity tests with my DMM and they seem OK....

I definitely want to try and replace the F1 fuse, but I'm having problems finding the part on DigiKey. If anyone can link me the correct fuse that would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to order and replace any other parts that may be the issue simultaneously, as this is most likely my last attempt to fix this monitor. Replacing the mosFETs are definitely beyond my soldering ability, but I've read the big cap on the power board may be the problem, albeit rarely.

Hopefully some of you have some insight on this, I can provide pics if necessary but truthfully there's enough pictures and problems with this panel that I'm sure most of you who have been following this thread and helping out have seen it all.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
                                  One of the problems is quite often a manufacturer will use several different subassemblies in the same model. Pictures are REALLy helpful at certain times. For example, most manufacturers include a little blurb on the board next to the fuse. Replace with 3A 250 Volt time delay fuse, for example. Even if they don't, often the rating of the fuse is on the fuse itself.

NOW, I did find pictures, and someone mentioned it was a 5A fuse. It is possibly Digikey number F2937CT-ND. Now, if you order that and it turns out to be the wrong part, you can reflect on your unwillingness to provide a picture.

PlainBill
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                    One of the problems is quite often a manufacturer will use several different subassemblies in the same model. Pictures are REALLy helpful at certain times. For example, most manufacturers include a little blurb on the board next to the fuse. Replace with 3A 250 Volt time delay fuse, for example. Even if they don't, often the rating of the fuse is on the fuse itself.

NOW, I did find pictures, and someone mentioned it was a 5A fuse. It is possibly Digikey number F2937CT-ND. Now, if you order that and it turns out to be the wrong part, you can reflect on your unwillingness to provide a picture.

PlainBill
                                    Hi PlainBill thanks for the reply. I mistakenly thought someone already provided a clear picture of the F1 fuse I was referring to but I went ahead and took a few pics just so there's no confusion.

It looks like the F1 fuse is marked "LF 5A". The fuse you linked looks spot on, I'm guessing the LF = Littlefuse.

I'll probably order 2 of these just in case 1 blows right away, do you have any insight on what was making the cracking/popping sound or was that the fuse itself before it blew?

Thanks again for the help.

Also the 2nd picture shows the replacement caps I used and the Q1-Q4 mosFETs that are slightly discolored.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

What brand and series were the replacement caps? If they were not a low ESR series, that would be consistent with the failure after a few months. Laying them down like the originals would allow larger can sizes with higher ripple ratings.

The discoloration doesn't look bad. Most of it is just leftover flux.

Edit: from the other thread, looks like PW and FM, but double check.
                                      Last edited by jsog; 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsog View Post
                                        What brand and series were the replacement caps? If they were not a low ESR series, that would be consistent with the failure after a few months. Laying them down like the originals would allow larger can sizes with higher ripple ratings.

The discoloration doesn't look bad. Most of it is just leftover flux.

Edit: from the other thread, looks like PW and FM, but double check.
                                        Hi, just to clarify, I replaced the two caps on the inverter board a few weeks ago with Nichicon EW series from DigiKey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...3-ND&x=20&y=20

I couldn't find suitable caps that lay down flat on the board but I have trouble in general finding stuff on DigiKey because I'm not really familiar with the various filter parameters to narrow down my searches. I'm pretty sure though someone here said the vertical caps were OK as long as they were low ESR, same voltage and capacitance ratings.

I replaced the power board caps about a year ago with a mix of quality Nichicon and Panasonic caps that were parted and recommended in the other thread. I don't think those are the problem unless there was a short somewhere but I double-checked all my solder joints and polarity and everything looks OK.

Comment

That link goes to a Nichicon HE series, similar to Panasonic FC. The originals appear to have been either 8x20mm or 10x20mm. Panasonic FM in that size has substantially higher ripple.

Check for an image with a flashlight or other bright light. At a flat angle to the screen, you should be able to see the image. If you're lucky, replacing the fuse is all the inverter needs now. This might have been avoided by replacing the inverter capacitors at the same time as those on the power board.

Comment

Working...
                                          X