No announcement yet.

WestingHouse L2210NW Will not power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WestingHouse L2210NW Will not power.

Attached Files

Comment

Now that I see how you numbered the pins (there is no right or wrong way), my number #1 suspicion is that this transformer is bad.

Your measurements on the secondary pins (pin 1, 2, 7, and 8)

black probe on pin 1, red on pin 2 - .872 ohms
      black probe on pin 7, red on pin 8 - justs around from 1.121 to 1.580 ohms
      should be identical +/- 5%. PlainBill would say +/- 3%.

If you watch the youtube video link I posted earlier, that transformer was out be a factor of 10x (950 ohm versus 9500 ohms).

Now you can desolder the transformer and retest out of circuit to make sure that no surrounding component are affecting the measurements (just like the video).

If the numbers are still not identical, the next problem is where to find a replacement and are you willing to pay probably $25 for a replacement?

edit: You can email

http://lcdparts.net/T.aspx

to see if they have a replacement that is not listed on their website. If they do have a replacement ask them for specifications specifically what is the resistance between the secondary pins.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

now im not getting any reading on the transformer i did get .885 black 1 red 2 and on black 7 and red 8 out of range but now i just did it again to verify and its all saying out of range.

Comment

Originally posted by testas86 View Post
          now im not getting any reading on the transformer i did get .885 black 1 red 2 and on black 7 and red 8 out of range but now i just did it again to verify and its all saying out of range.
          If you have any friends in the "industry", ask them to use a ring tester to test the transformer for you. It is a specialized tester and fairly expensive (> $100 I believe).

If 7 and 8 consistently show out of range on the 2k ohm scale, you have an open winding on the transformer.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

hmm ok well i guess ill replace the transformer and go from there

Comment

hmm ok well i guess ill replace the transformer and go from there
              BEFORE you order a replacement transformer, let's see if anyone else concurs that the transformer readings are suspicious. PlainBill?
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                BEFORE you order a replacement transformer, let's see if anyone else concurs that the transformer readings are suspicious. PlainBill?
                If correct, those readings indicate a bad transformer. However, I'm concerned about the inconsistent readings. It could be an intermittent connection or poor technique.

I'm decidedly old school, and find autoranging can lead to confusing readings. I'd set the DMM to the 20K ohm range and check the reading with the probes shorted together. After that, check from pin 1 to 2 and then from 7 to 8.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                  I'm decidedly old school, and find autoranging can lead to confusing readings. I'd set the DMM to the 20K ohm range and check the reading with the probes shorted together. After that, check from pin 1 to 2 and then from 7 to 8.
                  Both his dmm are manual range. One is the crap DT830B and the other is mastech 830l. The mastech 830l was used for the readings and done with the range set to 2k ohms.

Both dmms give a reading of 0.7 ohms when probes are shorted together.

It will be interesting to see the 20km test results.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

at 20k with both probes together i get 0.00 ohms

pins 1 and 2 = .88

pins 7 and 8 = .88

Comment

at 20k with both probes together i get 0.00 ohms

pins 1 and 2 = .88

pins 7 and 8 = .88
                      That is a good match. Indulge me, try it with the meter on the 2K ohm scale. You should read about 880 ohms (.880 +- .025) on both windings

My concern is the fact that the readings keep changing. IF this is operator error, that is one thing; eventually your technique will improve. But if it's an intermittent problem with the transformer or other component, it will be difficult to locate the source of the problem.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

At 2k ohms i got .880 on both

also i test each set 5 times before i post results to filter out bad readings so i have no idea why its coming out good now...

Comment

At 2k ohms i got .880 on both
                          Okay, the transformer is okay. Yesterday the readings were pointing to an open winding on pin 7 and 8.

Let's move on. I suggest it is time to take a look at the CCFLs. This picture album shows what a bad CCFL looks like

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/

Be very careful taking apart the CCFL assembly.

PS. You haven't answered yet re the flashlight test.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok so i have reassembled the monitor and turned it on. At first it worked for more then 2 seconds, about 2-3 mins then i turned it off and moved it and tried it again and it started doing the two second off again. i took a flashlight and tried to see if i could see anything on the screen and its completely black no images at all.

Comment

At first it worked for more then 2 seconds, about 2-3 mins then i turned it off and moved it and tried it again and it started doing the two second off again. i took a flashlight and tried to see if i could see anything on the screen and its completely black no images at all.
                              Okay, one idea and one question.

It is possible that probing pin 7 and 8 has uncovered a poor solder joint. I suggest removing the old solder from pin 7 and 8 and putting in new fresh solder. A poor solder might explain the erratic readings on the multimeter? It is point #7 of

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

That might also explain why it worked for 2 or 3 minutes until you moved it.

Question: Have you ever seen any pink hues in the last month of use? A pink hue is a sign of an aging CCFL drawing more and more power. The extra power draw will cause the inverter IC chip to shutdown the backlights.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There should only be new solder on the joints i used a desoldering iron to remove all solder from the transformer before removing it, and i got this monitor broken it was brought in to my work for recycling so i dont know about the pink hue. i will disassemble the monitor again and re solder all the joints and ill check the ccfl's to see if they are bad.

Comment

There should only be new solder on the joints i used a desoldering iron to remove all solder from the transformer before removing it,
                                  Did you desolder the transformer then to get the multimeter readings?

The only thing that I can think of right now is poor solder joints somewhere on the board or a bad CCFL.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

the first reading i did while it was soldered on the board after that i removed it and retested them once i soldered it back in i tested it again and got .92 on 1 and 2 and .92 on 7 and 8

Comment

ok so new development i just plugged it in to test it all again with out doing anything to it. i just wanted to make sure everything was not working like it was before. this time i didnt get any power light and i did get a electrical burning smell. i took it apart and it smells like its coming from the other transformer. i did i reading on that one and i got nothing everything was out of range.

Comment

ok so i found out what burnt up...

on the logic board that holds the vga and dvi inputs and also has the cable connector to the power button... there is a char mark on the logic board

Comment

this time i didnt get any power light and i did get a electrical burning smell. i took it apart and it smells like its coming from the other transformer. i did i reading on that one and i got nothing everything was out of range.
                                          Post a picture of the logic board. And don't put it inline. Just leave as attachment.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X