Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Sorry for the double post- Have you actually read this thread?? - I dont know this monitor but most people are replacing 6 Caps not 5?.
    Following cap replacement others have had to replace ccfl's but you would have known that if you had bothered to read it.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Turning up the brightness does not help, its dark enough that photos do not turn out, but yes I can make out the menus and light colored webpages, ect.

It does not flash white then turn dark. Yes the cable between the inverter and the video driver board is plugged in.

330 - P12386-ND
      680 - P12390-ND
      820 - P12391-ND

I am sure that the caps are in the correct way around.

Perhaps you are correct that the CCFL's need to be replaced, but there have been lots of posts where that wasn't the case, so I was just looking for some advice.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nmjwolf,

I'm not sure if this will solve the issue or not but as Selldoor mentioned, the surgery typically involves replacing 6 caps, not 5. Having done it 3x myself, I can see "C107" on your board is original. (It's the small one at the very bottom of the first picture, dead center)

I can confirm you've got the correct polarity for the caps you've replaced although double check the properties of your caps against the list in this thread to ensure they are the correct voltage and type (ESR) in addition to being the correct capacitance.

Comment

Hi Caps are panasonic -Fm so should be good .They appear to be in right way around. Im assuming you changed like for like value wise- When it gets fixed you
          should really change the ( from memory 47uf 50v) one
          Does the screen stay on but dark for some time - (more than 5 mins).
          Does the power led stay lit ( I would guess it does but best to ask)
          It appears to be the ccfls or the inverter board at fault - If you read the posts by Gammaray starting at post404 in this thread there is quite a bit of information and tests you can do mainly suggested by Alexanna. The one on the inverter transformer and the fuses are probably the first to try.
          Have you got a multimeter you can use and either a spare ccfl or another monitor
          or laptop screen that you can connect to the inverter board ( It doesnt need to be working as long as it has one ccfl that is good.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

The screen does stay on...for hours just very dim.
            The power LED does stay on (blue).

I do have a multimeter, but no other CCFL's to try out. I will read those posts and see what voltages to check hopefully that will point me in the direction of the part to replace next.

Thanks

Comment

Are the backlights on? If not, check F301. A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Also check the mosfets U302 and U303. A procedure for testing is at (under section mosfet)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=19
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

F301 is good 0.1 ohms.

Using the datasheet found here:

I got:
                  U302
                  a) black on pin S1- red on pin G1 - record ohms => 3.68M ohm
                  b) black on pin S1- red on pin D1 - record ohms => .3M ohm
                  c) black on pin G1- red on pin D1 - record ohms => 3.88M ohm
                  a) black on pin S2- red on pin G2 - record ohms => 4.1M ohm
                  b) black on pin S2- red on pin D2 - record ohms => .3M ohm
                  c) black on pin G2- red on pin D2 - record ohms => 2.95M ohm

U301
                  a) black on pin S1- red on pin G1 - record ohms => 3.65M ohm
                  b) black on pin S1- red on pin D1 - record ohms => .3M ohm
                  c) black on pin G1- red on pin D1 - record ohms => 3.87M ohm
                  a) black on pin S2- red on pin G2 - record ohms => 4.05M ohm
                  b) black on pin S2- red on pin D2 - record ohms => .3M ohm
                  c) black on pin G2- red on pin D2 - record ohms => 2.98M ohm

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

1) Please answer if the backlights come on or not?

2) U301 is some sort of transistor. Check it for a short.

3) The readings for the mosfets suggest they are good.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

4) T301 and T302 are your inverter transformers. It looks like the pins that connect to the blue caps (C303/C304 and C305/306) are the secondary winding pins.

Measure the resistance between the secondary pins on T301. Report reading. Do the same for T302.

They should be within 3% of each other.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

No I do not believe the backlights are coming on and that is why i can barley make out my desktop.

I have not found any shorts on u301.
                        Last edited by nmjwolf; 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM. Reason: forgot U

Comment

t301=1096
                          t302=1091

Comment

Originally posted by nmjwolf View Post
                            t301=1096
                            t302=1091
                            Both the secondary windings look good.

With power on and lcd plugged in ...

1) What is the DC voltage on either side of F301? You should have 2 measurements.

2) What is the DC voltage across the two Panasonic caps flanking U302 and U303? You should have 2 measurements.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

do the CCFLs have to be plugged in for the measurements?

Comment

do the CCFLs have to be plugged in for the measurements?
                                Yes. We want everything plugged in. Use cardboard if necessary to prevent boards from shorting.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

F301 13.1VDC - 13.1VDC => fuse good
                                  C305 and C306 0VDC measurement made on either side of caps to GND
                                  C303 and C304 0VDC measurement made on either side of caps to GND

Comment

C305 and C306 0VDC measurement made on either side of caps to GND
                                    C303 and C304 0VDC measurement made on either side of caps to GND
                                    NO, not the blue caps. Stay away from those caps, they are high voltage.

The Panasonic electrolytic caps (circled in red). Measure the DC voltage across the legs of the caps. Black probe to negative and red probe to positive.
                                    Attached Files
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

those both measure 13.16VDC

voltage levels don't bother me I deal with 4160V AC on a daily basis.

Comment

voltage levels don't bother me I deal with 4160V AC on a daily basis.
                                        On this forum, I have no clue about people's background or experience so I always side with caution. We had some people doing scary things with their multimeter. Black probe in Amps jack, measuring the high voltage side with meter set on resistance, measuring resistance with power on, etc.

The last thing to check is on the back of the pcb. There is a 20 pin IC. What is the part number?

This is the inverter pwm chip. It controls whether the backlights come or not.

If the pwm checks out, then I think you can rule out the inverter part of the board as being bad and check the ccfls. With the ccfls, you are looking for stuff like these pictures.

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/

PS. What type of multimeter?
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

that stamping is real hard to read...from what I can make out it is 64GN T005322p.

Meter is just a fluke 87.

Thanks for your help so far!

Comment

Working...
                                          X