Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourcing replacement backlight SMD LEDs or Strips (LG panel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sourcing replacement backlight SMD LEDs or Strips (LG panel)

Happy new year guys!

I found this thread and thought I would share my experience.
    Someone handed me a not-very-old LG TV (42LB5610) with sound and no pic. Sure enough there was a trace image visible using the torch (flashlight) trick. I informed the owner he'd be unlikely to see any change out of €100 to fix it. So he asked if he was due me anything for looking at it and off he went to buy a new one.
    Now it's nothing fancy but it would still be nice to get it going again, so I had a proper look and to my surprise I discovered that ALL 32 backlight LED's are short-circuit. What also surprised me was that on the PSU there is a label listing the output voltages; the usual 5 & 12V rails and one at 200V. Now when I was at school, 32 (LED's) X roughly 3V would be 96V or thereabouts. So were these 6V LED's?
    Well after a quick search on the eBay page mentioned above (thank you @cmg) it would appear so, there are several 6V LED's listed, one specifically mentioning LG 'Innotek'.
    So it looks like this set won't be seeing landfill for a while yet. Replacing 32 LED's and then sticking the plastic lenses back on will be a "when I've nothing better to do" job. I've not done much with SMD's having pretty much given up repairing TV's when CRT's were still popular.

Comment

Hello CMG,

About your test images, I see you have used only two cables on the connector, one for positive and one for negative while the other ones are floating. Can you comment a bit more on the testing procedure that you have used, was it power board pins 6 (VO3) and pin 7 (GND) on the connector the ones you have used?

Thanks a lot for sharing the pics and information, same to everyone else for their input.

Comment

Hello CMG,

About your test images, I see you have used only two cables on the connector, one for positive and one for negative while the other ones are floating. Can you comment a bit more on the testing procedure that you have used, was it power board pins 6 (VO3) and pin 7 (GND) on the connector the ones you have used?

Thanks a lot for sharing the pics and information, same to everyone else for their input.

Comment

Working...
        X