Re: LG W2234S Repair Help...

i think its a transistor or high voltage transformer failure

Comment

Originally posted by alf_red007 View Post
      i think its a transistor or high voltage transformer failure
      On the logic board?

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Found one from ebay that HAS been programmed... How does this look?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MX25L1005MC-F...#ht_1580wt_907

Comment

Originally posted by docksteaderluke View Post

That should do it. They describe the precise symptoms, and have 100% positive feedback.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Plainbill, just wondering how you made out with this issue. I have a friend who has the exact same monitor, and his symptoms are almost identical to yours. The monitor turns on, LED goes blue, the LG Logo comes up, then it all goes black after about 2 seconds, and repeats. However, in this case, it only seems to do it after the computer goes to sleep, or if you try to change the resolution. If that happens, the computer needs to be powered off, then the monitor powered off, then turn on the computer and wait for it to get into Windows, THEN power on the monitor.

Works as a workaround for now, but it's probably only a matter of time before the monitor completely dies as yours has. Let us know :-)

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim,

I'm still waiting on the part (shipping from China is SLOW). It should be here within the next 2 or 3 days. As soon as I try it out I'll post back here to let everyone know if it worked.

Comment

Hey guys...

Sorry for the late reply, but I finally got the part (MX25L1005MC with firmware) and replaced it tonight and the monitor works like a charm !

Thanks for all of your help. I hope this solutions helps you out Tim (and all others who have a similar issue).
                Last edited by docksteaderluke; 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by docksteaderluke View Post

I picked up this monitor a while back, but didn't get around to it until I got some decent tools.

I can verify the above seller, monitor-09, ships a chip with the flash programmed in it as I just did the same repair. The menus are in Chinese so you will have to fiddle around with the OSD menu settings until you see English.

Beware of another ebay seller that sells the "same programmed" chip for about 1/2 the price. I bought it and it didn't work and then I found out I bought a blank chip even though their ad clearly states it is programmed with the firmware. I pointed this out, but their ad still says it comes pre-programmed. I got a refund, but I put my logic board at risk unnecessarily (see below).

For removing the old SMD IC, I used a non temperature control hot air gun and protected all the surrounding areas with Kapton tape. It only took about 30 seconds to remove the old one. I also used lots of flux to help solder in the new IC.

My first SMD chip repair!!!

The monitor is now under going real world tests.

PS. This monitor has no screws holding the metal cage to the plastic and the lvds cable is super short so be careful taking it apart.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I forgot to add that my particular monitor does NOT automatically discharge the large filter capacitor. The cap still held 165V DC overnight and I had to discharge it with a 100K ohm resistor.

Normally, there is a bleeder resistor and maybe mine doesn't have one or it is not working? Anyway, my lcd is all put together and I have no plans to take it apart again.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello people,
                      its been a month i dont enter the forum because of an internet malfunction, and now lets get down to business, seriously!

this LG i have was completely dead. no signs of life.

measured the voltages. 5V ok. tested with a 2W lamp, ok, no voltage drop.

measured the regulators in the main board. 3.3V ok, 1.8V ok.

measured the voltage in the power button. 3.3V.

at this point i searched THIS forum and heard about the firmware problem.

as i dont have much time for the chip to be shipped from china, i found the FW online, and i want to share it with you.

went to a friend of mines, who has a ELNEC programmer, and the procedure was routine for him. it took 5 minutes to unsolder it, to test-read it (found it was corrupted), to rewrite the .bin file, and to solder it back.

its working great!

thank you guys and i am pleased to help!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by senndogg View Post
                        its working great!
                        How do you find the picture quality? Normally, I'm not picky about picture quality, but my W2234S is noticeably worse than most even after adjustments including a complete factory reset. The constrast is particularly poor.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

hi retiredcaps, i didnt notice anything strange after the ROM flashing, the monitor just came back to life. i havent used it before, since it wasnt mine, but the owner said everything was ok. we tested it for several hours and i even liked the picture quality of the cheap Innolux panel
                          it seems strange to be software related, but if you are able to flash it to the ROM i have posted, you should try!

Comment

Hi, same symptoms that docksteaderluke, flash eprom mx25l1005 reprogrmmed with this
                            file http://dump.elektroda.pl/download12145.html, and working without problems.
                            Thanks to all.

Comment

oh this prob was a year ago... any luck?

Comment

I need the datasheet of MP1008es ,i have only the problem of back light .it turn off immediately, if i disconnect the protection ckt it lights up the feedback voltage at pin 2 is very low,diodes and capacitors are found good chnged the lamps but problem exixit dou have any idea

Comment

w2234s-bn my monitor goes white after ~10mins or goes completely off or goes white and then off(no power led) (then you need to unplug power cable and plug it back on(after ~3times) then it starts to work again but after ~5mins it goes white or completely off , and on native resolution there is flickering dots all over , small lines flicering into the right side of my monitor if i click power button a couple of times the image will be normal no flickering, and i have MX25L1005MC with blue dot on it , if i take that part where the d-sub cable goes to repair will it solve my prob by replacing that little chip ( MX25L1005MC ) or its more behind this like power supply is it worth to fix it?
                                  Last edited by fall; 10-26-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Hello, I'm trying to program my w2234s' flash chip in circuit with this software http://sourceforge.net/projects/ch341eepromtool/ and this programmer: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=171122644445 . In your attached file I aussume w2234.cat is the image file. What is the icc file for? Where did you find this image?

Originally posted by senndogg View Post
                                    Hello people,
                                    its been a month i dont enter the forum because of an internet malfunction, and now lets get down to business, seriously!

this LG i have was completely dead. no signs of life.

measured the voltages. 5V ok. tested with a 2W lamp, ok, no voltage drop.

measured the regulators in the main board. 3.3V ok, 1.8V ok.

measured the voltage in the power button. 3.3V.

at this point i searched THIS forum and heard about the firmware problem.

as i dont have much time for the chip to be shipped from china, i found the FW online, and i want to share it with you.

went to a friend of mines, who has a ELNEC programmer, and the procedure was routine for him. it took 5 minutes to unsolder it, to test-read it (found it was corrupted), to rewrite the .bin file, and to solder it back.

its working great!

thank you guys and i am pleased to help!

Comment

I should have opened those files, they are windows drivers ofc. Here's a link to the firmware: http://elektrotanya.com/lg_w2234s_du.../download.html
                                      Originally posted by krisztian_andre View Post
                                      Hello, I'm trying to program my w2234s' flash chip in circuit with this software http://sourceforge.net/projects/ch341eepromtool/ and this programmer: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=171122644445 . In your attached file I aussume w2234.cat is the image file. What is the icc file for? Where did you find this image?

Comment

The file I downloaded is around 512 kB but the chip is a 128kB part, where can I find the proper firmware?
                                        I should have opened those files, they are windows drivers ofc. Here's a link to the firmware: http://elektrotanya.com/lg_w2234s_du.../download.html

Comment

I'm having a nice conversation with myself here, but here's a 128kB file I found: http://www.ebastlirna.cz/modules.php...nload&id=23916
                                          The file I downloaded is around 512 kB but the chip is a 128kB part, where can I find the proper firmware?

Comment

Working...
                                          X