X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about PicKit 3.

Originally posted by stj View Post
    microchip has a parametric search you can use,
    what else does the chip need? how much flash, ram, i/o pins?
    Wouldn't I need to pick a screen first before I knew how many i/o pins it needed? Instead of an SPI interface, could I use a Parallel interface? Like the screen here?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...3-T-ND/4429445

I kinda like that one. Looks nice. I know I'm not ready to build something like that yet, but I can save up and while I'm learning, I can work on it. It'd be a project but ultimately, I want something like that.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

If I can't use that touch screen, I guess I'd probably go for a QVGA type setup and could settle for a smaller resolution and everything. Maybe something like 320 x 240. I don't know how well that'd look though. But if I did that, I'd probably use a 16-bit interface. 5 for red, 5 for blue, 6 for green. That'd be 320 x 240 x 16 / 8 = 153,600 bytes of RAM or 150KB. I don't know how to tell how much flash I'd need because I don't know how large the program would be.

Comment

forget the digikey stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261582968498
        keep it cheap

Comment

or bigger
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221831832114

Comment

Okay. So I won't buy from digikey, but I have been physically looking at the various touch screens in the house and have decided I want 3.5". Maybe 4.5". Even though I won't buy it from Digikey, here's the screen I'm thinking about now:

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...ATXL%23-T-1-ND

I was thinking of controlling it with maybe a PIC24FJ256GB106 PIC.

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts...IC24FJ256GB106
            Last edited by Spork Schivago; 11-23-2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

and again, you cant use it.
              those digikey displays have no controller and no easy way to even connect to them.

this is a bit of a jump from a 2line crap-character display!!

Comment

takes 1-2weeks to europe.
                Yeah? It only takes 1 - 2 weeks for stuff to get here from Europe too. I don't know why it takes so long for China. Last time, it was over a month!

Comment

those digikey displays have no controller and no easy way to even connect to them.

Okay. Yeah, it is a big jump and I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough in the subject to successfully do it. But that's what I want in the end. A real nice touch screen type display. Maybe down the road when I get my programmer I can start playing around more and while I'm waiting, continue to learn.

Comment

what's it actually for?

Comment

A UV LED Exposure unit to make PCBs. But I want to make more than just that. I figured I could use the experience gained from interfacing a touch screen screen to this unit towards building an IR Reflow machine for BGA type stuff.

Comment

So, I've been on NewHaven's website, and for that display, they do seem to sell a controller board ( )

Well, they actually sell two. One for 8-bit and one for 16-bit. They're listed as being compatible with that 3.5" display. Could I not just use that controller board to interface the display with a PIC? I see the pinouts for J1 on that 16-bit board are as follows:
                        Code:
                        [FONT="Courier New"]J1 (SSD1963 input from user's MPU):
                        Pin No.    Symbol   External    Function Description
                                     Connection
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        1       VSS   Power Supply   Ground
                        2       VDD   Power Supply   Power supply for LCD and logic (3.3V)
                        3       B/L   Enable      Power Supply Backlight Enable
                        4        RS   MPU       Register Select. 
                                             RS=0: Command, RS=1: Data

5       /WR   MPU       8080 mode: Active LOW Write
                        6       /RD   MPU       8080 mode: Active LOW Read
                        7-22    DB0-DB15  MPU       8‐bit bidirectional data bus
                        23       NC*    -        No Connect
                        24       NC*    -        No Connect
                        25       /CS   MPU       Active LOW Chip Select
                        26       /RST   MPU       Active LOW Reset
                        27-32     NC*    -        No Connect[/FONT]

Comment

i'm thinking you should maybe forget pic's
                          they are designed for simple stuff.

either use AVR or as you like C/C++ go directly to using ARM-core.

look at this:
                          http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/...S1532/PF259090
                          http://stm32f4-discovery.com/stm32f429-discovery/

or without the addons:
                          http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/...N1847/PF262063
                          https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F446RE/

these things are sold at cost (next to nothing) to encourage developers.
                          dont buy them from ebay - use the distributors like element14 / mouser etc.
                          Last edited by stj; 11-24-2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                            So, I've been on NewHaven's website, and for that display, they do seem to sell a controller board ( )

Well, they actually sell two. One for 8-bit and one for 16-bit. They're listed as being compatible with that 3.5" display. Could I not just use that controller board to interface the display with a PIC? I see the pinouts for J1 on that 16-bit board are as follows:
                            Code:
                            [FONT="Courier New"]J1 (SSD1963 input from user's MPU):
                            Pin No.    Symbol   External    Function Description
                                         Connection
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            1       VSS   Power Supply   Ground
                            2       VDD   Power Supply   Power supply for LCD and logic (3.3V)
                            3       B/L   Enable      Power Supply Backlight Enable
                            4        RS   MPU       Register Select. 
                                                 RS=0: Command, RS=1: Data

5       /WR   MPU       8080 mode: Active LOW Write
                            6       /RD   MPU       8080 mode: Active LOW Read
                            7-22    DB0-DB15  MPU       8‐bit bidirectional data bus
                            23       NC*    -        No Connect
                            24       NC*    -        No Connect
                            25       /CS   MPU       Active LOW Chip Select
                            26       /RST   MPU       Active LOW Reset
                            27-32     NC*    -        No Connect[/FONT]
                            that's clearly going to need atleast 13pins.

the thing to remember when using microcontrollers is pincount - keep track of your pins or you can run out real fast!

Comment

i'm thinking you should maybe forget pic's
                              they are designed for simple stuff.

either use AVR or as you like C/C++ go directly to using ARM-core.

look at this:
                              http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/...S1532/PF259090
                              http://stm32f4-discovery.com/stm32f429-discovery/

or without the addons:
                              http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/...N1847/PF262063
                              https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F446RE/

these things are sold at cost (next to nothing) to encourage developers.
                              dont buy them from ebay - use the distributors like element14 / mouser etc.
                              Okay Stj. I'm familiar with Element14. I like them. I really appreciate all the help and information you've provided. I thought the PIC would work because I saw a lot of posts on MicroChip about using pic24f's and pic32's to control the various LCD screens out there. Again, thank you for the links. I'll definitely be looking into AVR and ARM based processors. Always kinda liked ARMs.

Comment

that's clearly going to need atleast 13pins.

the thing to remember when using microcontrollers is pincount - keep track of your pins or you can run out real fast!
                                Gotcha. I was also thinking maybe I should work on some simpler projects first, when I get my PicKit3 clone (Thanks for the link! Ordered from the link you provided!!!). Like perhaps trying to control an LED or something like that. Can you recommend any good free resources (or even paid ones) that go into details on how to program / use PICs? I see some have global interrupts, some don't, etc. I know a lot of my questions are probably novice type questions and I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

Comment

for pic,
                                  mplab-x contains or can download a c-compiler,
                                  you can find loads of info and example code at microchip.com

or things like this:
                                  http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/

for the ST stuff, they have links to free tools and examples.

Comment

I got my PicKit3 clone today!!!! But now I have a bunch of questions! Nothing came with any manuals or anything. I got a nifty ZIF socket but I'm not 100% sure how to use it. The back has some words:
                                    Code:
                                    [FONT="Times New Roman"]
                                    DIP28, 40: J1:3 / J2, J3, J4, J5, J6, J7: 2-3
                                    DIP8, 14, 18, 20: J1:2 / J2, J3, J4, J5, J6, J7: 2-3
                                    PIC10FXXX: J1:1 / J3: 1-2 / J2, J4, J5, J6, J7: 2-3
                                    PIC16F57: J1:3 / J2:1-2 / J3, J4, J5, J6, J7: 2-3
                                    PIC16F59: J1:2 / J2, J3: 2-3 / J4, J5, J6, J7: 1-2
                                    [/FONT]
                                    I have a PIC16F628A, which is 18 pins, so I'd want the DIP18 settings. Setting J1 is easy because it's a two pin header and there's three options, 1, 2 and 3.

It's J2 - J7 where I'm a bit confused. There's five three pin headers there but it doesn't tell me which of the three pins are pin 1 or pin 3. They just say J2, J3, J4, J5, J6, J7. Should I assume that the pin closest to the ZIF socket is pin 1? I'll post a picture so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Each J2 to J7 has 3 pins, pin 1 is the one closest to the ZIP socket.

So when it says J* set to 1-2, it means pull out the jumper and set it on the first two pins on that J jumper. Where it says 2-3, put it on the last two pins.

Sounds complicated, especially without documentation. Honestly, you could have bought an original Pickit3, you only buy it once after all.

As for LCD displays, there's all kinds of them .. There's the old character only 2x16, 2x20, 4x16-20 character, which use a 4bit or 8bit data bus and 2-3 command wires.

Then there's some graphical displays which use controllers with same commands as the ones above but wire the lcd pixels in such a way that there's no blank lines between character rows, so you can basically make any graphic by "uploading" a custom character font to the lcd display's memory (all have room for custom characters in them) and then when you send a command to print a character, it basically draws 8x8 pixels or something like that.

Then there's displays which use i2c or spi to make connection between them and mcu, which means less wires but not necessarily more speed (i2c is especially slow), it just reduces wires.

Then there's displays that use 8-16 bit data buses and some control lines to let you control large amount of rgb pixels or whatever...

You already saw http://newhavendisplay.com/ , I'd suggest browsing through the various models and downloading the datasheets, you'll see how they connect.
                                      First learn to program a microcontroller, do some basic stuff like working with easy 2x16 character displays, then think about 320x240 pixel displays and so on.
                                      Last edited by mariushm; 12-07-2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                        Each J2 to J7 has 3 pins, pin 1 is the one closest to the ZIP socket.

So when it says J* set to 1-2, it means pull out the jumper and set it on the first two pins on that J jumper. Where it says 2-3, put it on the last two pins.

Sounds complicated, especially without documentation. Honestly, you could have bought an original Pickit3, you only buy it once after all.

As for LCD displays, there's all kinds of them .. There's the old character only 2x16, 2x20, 4x16-20 character, which use a 4bit or 8bit data bus and 2-3 command wires.

Then there's some graphical displays which use controllers with same commands as the ones above but wire the lcd pixels in such a way that there's no blank lines between character rows, so you can basically make any graphic by "uploading" a custom character font to the lcd display's memory (all have room for custom characters in them) and then when you send a command to print a character, it basically draws 8x8 pixels or something like that.

Then there's displays which use i2c or spi to make connection between them and mcu, which means less wires but not necessarily more speed (i2c is especially slow), it just reduces wires.

Then there's displays that use 8-16 bit data buses and some control lines to let you control large amount of rgb pixels or whatever...

You already saw http://newhavendisplay.com/ , I'd suggest browsing through the various models and downloading the datasheets, you'll see how they connect.
                                        First learn to program a microcontroller, do some basic stuff like working with easy 2x16 character displays, then think about 320x240 pixel displays and so on.
                                        Thank you! I knew how to read the jumper settings and when it says 1-2 or 2-3, I knew what that meant, just wasn't sure if pin 1 was closest to the ZIF socket or if pin 3 was. Thank you so much!

I have a 2x16 display I believe, that I'm going to play around with. I bought the PIC pre-programmed but it came with source code. It's just in Pro BASIC. So I'm going to try to rewrite it in C. Then I'll try playing with the 320x240 pixel display like you suggest and then hopefully, I'll be ready for the touch screen stuff.

I've seen PICs where there's some security bit that gets set. I've downloaded the MPLAB X and downloaded the XC8 compiler. I just want to make sure if I erase the original binary file on the PIC16F628A microcontroller and flash my C version on there, if I mess something up, I can just reprogram it with the original .hex binary file.

Also, if my C program isn't correct, if I mess something up but it compiles fine, is there any chance I could actually damage the circuit board or the PIC? Or would it just not work?

Comment

PIC16F628A is a relatively weak microcontroller, it has very few features, little memory and ram, there's much better chips out there with more built in features like hardware i2c and spi, which could be useful.

My favourite goto for tests is PIC16F1519 : http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...2FP-ND/2651374

It's wide dip so it's easy to put on prototyping board, it's dip40 so it has lots of i/o pins, has 28 KB of flash (16 kwords because each word is 14 bits) so you can just code without worrying about optimizations to reduce program size, built in 16 mhz oscillator so you don't need to use external oscillator to go above 4 Mhz (as it happens with your chosen pic)

It's kinda hard to damage a pic just by programming it with bad code. MPLAB-X is pretty good about spotting mistakes so it would be kinda hard to create a broken binary and have mplab program it to a pic and damage the pic.

Comment

Working...
                                          X