No announcement yet.

What is a good de-soldiering iron/tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a good de-soldiering iron/tool?

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
    Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
    On that note is the back one by the large cap hot or ground,
    The black one is on the hot side of power supply to the outlet
    not sure if you thought that was a typo or you made a typo
    were you saying the choke should receive 120V ac at the PCB OR the back of the IC by the cap is hot

Comment

not sure if you thought that was a typo or you made a typo
      were you saying the choke should receive 120V ac at the PCB OR the back of the IC by the cap is hot
      From where the two red wires are to the yellow transformer on the same side of the red wires are the hot side the other side of the transformer is the low voltage side of the transformer no it was not a typo

I hope this helps
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2017, 07:21 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        if your looking that closely, find out how the trigger controls the pump.

on the older transformer type ones, it was just direct and the switch & cable got hot.
        a solid-state relay was a good upgrade.
        the pump looks to get power from a black box mounted at the back of the unit (next to a under voluted 24v fan) that contains two 5w resistors and the low side of the pump goes to the gun
        aside: really that fan grill is shit, either use a honeycomb design or cut big hole and use a cheap wire grill, wait a min this fan in a intake i thought it was exhaust

the only transformer i can find is on the power supply

Comment

test it with a known good lead if you dont want to test the one it came with.

Comment

From where the two red wires are to the yellow transformer on the same side of the red wires are the hot side the other side of the transformer is the low voltage side of the transformer no it was not a typo

I hope this helps
            so with this component is there was nothing between it and the heat sync it would short 120v AC to earth ground?
            If so how do the bolt threads not short it? Is the bold itself not conductive?

Comment

the pump looks to get power from a black box mounted at the back of the unit (next to a under voluted 24v fan) that contains two 5w resistors and the low side of the pump goes to the gun
              aside: really that fan grill is shit, either use a honeycomb design or cut big hole and use a cheap wire grill, wait a min this fan in a intake i thought it was exhaust

the only transformer i can find is on the power supply
              Look in the black plastic box and see if there is a capacitor on that board if there is replace it as well

That fan grill is ok it moves enough air surprisingly enough it is the intake side of the fan

There is a very thin gray insulation pad on the back of that switching power supply regulator IC chip the one you circle in that photo
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2017, 07:35 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

so with this component is there was nothing between it and the heat sync it would short 120v AC to earth ground?
                If so how do the bolt threads not short it? Is the bold itself not conductive?
                There are two plastic washer one on the screw “head” is one that has a tapered ring that fit in the mounting hole to the heat sink on the chip side there is where the other plastic washer goes then the flat metal washer then the lock washer then the nut

Do not put the wrong plastic washer in the wrong side of the heat sink

When you put it back together check the screw that holds the power supply regulator IC chip that there is NO resistance between the screw and the heat sink
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2017, 08:02 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

There are two plastic washer one on the screw “head” is one that has a tapered ring that fit in the mounting hole to the heat sink on the chip side there is where the other plastic washer goes then the flat metal washer then the lock washer then the nut

Do not put the wrong plastic washer in the wrong side of the heat sink

When you put it back together check the screw that holds the power supply regulator IC chip that there is NO resistance between the screw and the heat sink
                  so when you say no resistance do you mean r=0.0000000 or r=N/C (infinite)
                  that statement seems like a possible 0 == False vs 0 === False issue

Comment

so as for the 50v 10uf caps are low leakage Nichicon UKL good for those? UKL1H100KDDANATD (I have these on hand)
                    no need to replace the large 400v cap?

should i put some electrical tape on that bolt?
                    the bolt is in contact with the heat sync, none of the 5pins on the IC show a connection to the heat sync

I attached a couple pictures of how it looked whit the heat sync in its original state *i suck at editing so i tried to remove my legs as best i could cause i am not a attractive female
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by evilkitty; 12-26-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I forgot that this one had the metal bar that held all three IC chips in place
                      You do not have to do anything what you have with work just fine
                      I have work on so many different devices lately I guess mess up on this

These caps will be fine UKL1H100KDDANATD
                      The two 2200uf@35 volt caps are a FR series will be the only that will right
                      right now I cannot find the bag tag for those caps that I had used 3300@35 volts I will see if I can find the ones that I used

This will probably fit ( KY 2200uf@35 volt ) diameter 12.5mm

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...1560-ND/756076

The 3300uf @ 35 volt one starts with 16.00mm which will not fit
                      I guess they do not have the 12.5mm anymore
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2017, 06:18 PM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

May i ask why you linked a 25v cap?

anyway i found a FR cap
                        EEU-FR1V222L 2200uf 35v 12.5mm dia
                        EEU-FR1V471, i assume the 470uf should be upgraded to 35v also (otherwise i can use a EEU-FR1E471Y)

That bar only holds 2 of the 3 ICs

Comment

Try this one I have not used this series before “KYB” but I think it looks very similar to “KY”

This one is 2700@35 volts
                          https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...272MK40S&v=565

I going to buy some of these caps and try them in my units and see if it likes them or not
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2017, 08:29 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

May i ask why you linked a 25v cap?
                            I was comparing the size of what the 2200@25 volt diameter
                            I had put in the field 2200 ,3300uf and 25 , 35 volts
                            Then I did not look close enough what voltage they were

anyway i found a FR cap
                            EEU-FR1V222L 2200uf 35v 12.5mm diameter
                            You could use that to this one 2700uf@35 volts EKYB350ELL272MK40S

Like I said earlier I would recap the temperature controller board you can reach the pins of the caps because the pins do not go very far on the other side board because of the LCD display
                            that is why the caps are not flush with the board

The easiest way to get the caps off the board is heat the pad and tilt the cap to one side then heat the other pad and gently pull out the cap from the board

EEU-FR1V471, i assume the 470uf should be upgraded to 35v also (otherwise i
                            can use a EEU-FR1E471Y
                            Yes you want to upgrade it EEU-FR1V471

I know that because on the transformer version the winding are 24 volts and 10 or 9 volts
                            ( To me the transformer version is some what better but use a 120 volt vacuum pump motor that does not last as long as the 24 volt vacuum pump motor but sometimes you have problem with the switching power supply so I do not know which one is better

I do side work for some one who has a few machines that have servo drive that I repair
                            So I have a few new spare Desoldiering gun units

I have had to retire a few of them so I have some spare parts to repair them the newer ones

The heater controller board has a +5 volts and -5 volts rails
                            The optic sensor has 3 volts if the version of the controller is not “ U3 “
                            You just put a switch and a white LED and a 100 ohm resistor in line to the optic sensor
                            So that when you first start the Desoldiering gun you just have the LED on and not the heater on the gun after the power supply powers up for 30 seconds then turn the heater on and turn off the LED

You will know if you have older version is when you turn it on it might turn off then turn right back on and might keep doing this a few times before it will stay on

The older version was used with the transformer the new version uses the switching power supply
                            The difference between the two is that older version the heater comes on right a way on the newer version there is a delay before the heater comes on

From what it looks like either they had a lot of the older controllers or they did not realize that you can not turn the heater on right a way so they wrote a new version of the program to fix this problem so some of the unit have this problem
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2017, 09:48 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

On the note of the EEU-FR1V222L vs EKYB350ELL272MK40S, the EKYB350ELL272MK40S does not show a ESR rating, [strike]till not sure when to to low esr and not to[/strike]; i assume a low esr cap will show have a esr rating

as for the temp control board, There are 2 boards in the front bezel you are talking about the top board right
                              Last edited by evilkitty; 12-27-2017, 05:59 AM. Reason: found the thread made a while back answering that

Comment

what exactly is going on??
                                if this is new then you shouldnt mess with it till the warranty runs out.

btw, post a foto of the part of the gun that collects the solder - i want to see which type you have.

Comment

Here is the pic of the gun

I would rather fix fatal flaws in the unit than deal with going though someone else for receipts and warranty process stuff
                                  Also i would like to get have the caps needed to fix it along with all the other caps i need to order, so far i have about $30 worth of parts + shipping
                                  this thing probably only has at most a 30 day policy on it anyway
                                  I really do not want it to go down when i want to use it and have everything out
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by evilkitty; 12-27-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

good, the gun has the new style glass chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      good, the gun has the new style glass chamber.
                                      I personally do not like the way the glass ones are setup
                                      If you do not have the thin metal disk and the filter and the so called spring in the right place you have no suction

With the plastic tube there is a place for the
                                      spring and the filter and you very suction

That is my two cents worth on it
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-27-2017, 07:56 AM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

on the old one the spring was hard to clear and you couldnt see in it.
                                        the new one is similar to weller with the splash-shield at the back against the filter with a light spring holding it in place,
                                        older weller instead of the spring, had an aluminium half-pipe running along the bottom of the tube - in some ways it was better.

Comment

My old desolder gun uses a glass chamber, unfortunately I cracked it. Currently using a piece of kapton tape to seal it so it works fine. I need to source another glass chamber somehow...

... or if a new gun is cheaper... *sigh* likely need to make my own somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                          X