Soltek motherboards, bad caps and no POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soltek motherboards, bad caps and no POST

Recently got a box of old cheap motherboards, and now got a few questions as well:

Pulled out the best board in the box in the hopes of using it but the big 1500uf caps are bulging and some are leaking slightly - and I can't get it to POST.

The board is a Soltek SL-65ME, there was also a Soltek SL-65KV2-T in there as well, which has almost identical cap failure and doesn't POST either.

Now I'm thinking that the caps are causing the problem, but I didn't think they'd cause problems this bad, or if they did, it would be rare..

Now can anyone tell me if this is likely caused by the caps (common in these boards to cause POST failure?) or if the boards are more likely totally stuffed?

There appears no damages or other faults apart from the bad caps, nothing burnt etc...

You can see them in detail here, they aren't horrifically bad, which is why I thought they may be still good enough to work: http://flickr.com/photos/agent_24/2327954411/

I was also thinking, if there was any sense in trying a recap, should I just do the 1500's or the 1000's next to them as well? (the 1000's aren't visually faulty), but are they likely to be bad?
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Soltek motherboards, bad caps and no POST

replace them all.
    at least everything above 470µ, but if you're at it, you might do them all, since GSC are crap.
    don't forget to reset the CMOS.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Dear Friend,
      When I had replaced the great majority of the capacitors of this mainboard, it did a rebooting once every two months. It is completely free of any problem when completely doing the replacement.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dear Friends,
        I replaced all the capacitors of the above mainboard with the new Rubycon capacitors of MCZ, ZLH and ML Series more than two years ago and the second picture was made several days ago.

Comment

Working...
        X