17PW25-4 Repair Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17PW25-4 Repair Video

Repair video of the most common failure of these junk power supplies. Note that this only covers the repair of this supply and does not cover in-depth information about the poor design which causes this failure.
    Link to video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R4d9wolB80A
    Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 10-27-2015, 03:34 PM.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Re: 17PW25-4 Repair Video

The fault with the 17PW25-4 is down to the diode voltage rating. The stock diodes are only rated to 100V but the power supply subjects them to >280V transients (higher with higher line voltage.) These diodes may randomly fail due to breakdown, which shorts the output of the transformer. The power supply is so badly designed that a short circuit causes the controller to go full retard, and this shorts the transistor, blows the controller IC and does a lot of other damage.

Awful supplies. But luckily you can pick them up for about £20. So I don't bother fixing them any more. I do one upgrade which is to replace all the diodes with UF5408 or MUR460, and use thermal bond epoxy to keep the devices at equal temperatures (although it would appear that temperature is not the primary cause of failure.)
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Cheers Tom I never did get around to adding that to the video, can I use that info in the description mate ?
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Yes I don't mind
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ok cheers Tom

Comment

those smd resistors near the PFC on the backside of the board aren't bad due to be shorted. Those are jumpers and should show a short. Notice the 0 marked on them. Nice vid!

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              those smd resistors near the PFC on the backside of the board aren't bad due to be shorted. Those are jumpers and should show a short. Notice the 0 marked on them. Nice vid!
              Haha doh cheers CapLeaker

Comment

Got another one into day no surprise. Ticking sound no standby, psu going into overload. Surprisingly nothing is exploded on the Psu for once. Fault is shorted 12v diode which would explain why the primary section hasn't had a meltdown. However im installing the normal full repair kit to help limit the damage in future cases. Junk !

Comment

It does seem that if the 12V diodes fail the PSU doesn't blow up, but 24V diodes failing kill it always.

Comment

Very true never seen this before but know know. Will also do a video.

Comment

well buddy done very good video

Comment

Originally posted by comptek View Post
                        well buddy done very good video
                        Cheers Gary hopefully help some people out

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                          The fault with the 17PW25-4 is down to the diode voltage rating. The stock diodes are only rated to 100V but the power supply subjects them to >280V transients (higher with higher line voltage.) These diodes may randomly fail due to breakdown, which shorts the output of the transformer. The power supply is so badly designed that a short circuit causes the controller to go full retard, and this shorts the transistor, blows the controller IC and does a lot of other damage.

Awful supplies. But luckily you can pick them up for about £20. So I don't bother fixing them any more. I do one upgrade which is to replace all the diodes with UF5408 or MUR460, and use thermal bond epoxy to keep the devices at equal temperatures (although it would appear that temperature is not the primary cause of failure.)

Hello Tom and every tech brains here

How is going great. I have a problem with one of this vestel crappy psu and though am not really that good tech of a guy but i really need solution to this.

My tv keeps flashing blue led light and will not start. Sometimes when you up plug it and plug back in 2 or 3 times, the blue led will now steady (standby mod) and it will now power on. This have been going on for about 3 months and it pisses me off to sit and wait for your tv to take like 20 - 30 mins to com on.

However, for about three days now, the set is not coming on again no matter how long a wait and plug and unplug, it doesn't just come on. Have taken it to two repair shops, one said is the main board (picture board) the other said it is the power board. Don't which to follow as both are costly to repay.

I opened and check the power board and found out it is 17pw25-4 and i have read a lot of negative threads on that board. Their is nothing like blown diodes or capacitors or resistors their and am puzzled.

What should i do? I have attached the picture of it to this post.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                            Repair video of the most common failure of these junk power supplies. Note that this only covers the repair of this supply and does not cover in-depth information about the poor design which causes this failure.
                            Link to video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R4d9wolB80A
                            Hello every tech brains here

How is going great. I have a problem with one of this vestel crappy psu and though am not really that good tech of a guy but i really need solution to this.

My tv keeps flashing blue led light and will not start. Sometimes when you up plug it and plug back in 2 or 3 times, the blue led will now steady (standby mod) and it will now power on. This have been going on for about 3 months and it pisses me off to sit and wait for your tv to take like 20 - 30 mins to com on.

However, for about three days now, the set is not coming on again no matter how long a wait and plug and unplug, it doesn't just come on. Have taken it to two repair shops, one said is the main board (picture board) the other said it is the power board. Don't which to follow as both are costly to repay.

I opened and check the power board and found out it is 17pw25-4 and i have read a lot of negative threads on that board. Their is nothing like blown diodes or capacitors or resistors their and am puzzled.

What should i do? I have attached the picture of it to this post.

Comment

Replied on your post bud, flashing Led is likely not a psu fault but motherboard when these supplies fail they go bang lol

Comment

Working...
                              X