Panasonic 42" plasma #42PZ80U electrical storm damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic 42" plasma #42PZ80U electrical storm damage

Hello everyone and thanks for reading my post.

Here's what I have: 42" Panasonic plasma HDTV model #42PZ80U from 2008. I'm pretty sure the issue is the result of a recent electrical storm. When I turn it on with the remote, the red light comes on and you can see a change in the screen but nothing else happens. It does not seem to respond to the remote at all with the exception of turning it on. The remote will not turn it off and it doesn't respond to any of the keys. It also does not respond to the buttons on the front of the set. The red LED is solid with no blinks and the unit will power cycle about every 5 minutes on its own. I can unplug it and then plug it back in and hear a slight click from within the set. I have removed the back and can see no evidence of burning or damage to capacitors to my untrained eye. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for diagnosing and repairing this.

Thanks in advance
    Tim

Re: Panasonic 42" plasma #42PZ80U electrical storm damage

Originally posted by beaglewrangler View Post
    Hello everyone and thanks for reading my post.

Here's what I have: 42" Panasonic plasma HDTV model #42PZ80U from 2008. I'm pretty sure the issue is the result of a recent electrical storm. When I turn it on with the remote, the red light comes on and you can see a change in the screen but nothing else happens. It does not seem to respond to the remote at all with the exception of turning it on. The remote will not turn it off and it doesn't respond to any of the keys. It also does not respond to the buttons on the front of the set. The red LED is solid with no blinks and the unit will power cycle about every 5 minutes on its own. I can unplug it and then plug it back in and hear a slight click from within the set. I have removed the back and can see no evidence of burning or damage to capacitors to my untrained eye. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for diagnosing and repairing this.

Thanks in advance
    Tim
    Does sound like the A board is zapped. I don't think repairing the board would be an option except to send it off for repair, Moduslink do them .

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/tnph0721ads/

I think with these you can disconnect, A5(LVDS cable), A6,A7, power on and produces full white screen, works on my 46PZ800, or A5, P6,P7.
    Had to push the power button to turn it on, there will be no front LED indication, not on mine at least.

If the LVDS is left in, mine goes to a gray, primed screen.

Since you said the screen changes and then the TV seems locked up, I'm going with bad A board.

If you try the above , that proves everything else is good.

May be your board, you'll have to check what revision is yours or post a very clear picture topside showing the area of the board where SUFFIX is and any labels or markings.

There's also a Pz80UA with different board so check before you order something.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THPH0721-...item2ed3ede530

note , no returns mentioned.

also
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TNPH0721ADS-...item338d7296ab

This is a 42pz85U, I think that may work just that it has a VGA port which your back panel won't have a cutout for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-TH...item3ce1e452c8
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tw2005; 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for responding!! I will try your recommendations.

Comment

OK I removed A5, A6 and A7 powered on and got a full white screen just as you said. I have attached pic of board and I think TNPH0721 3A is what I'm looking for. Is this correct?

Thank you very much for the help.
        Tim
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beaglewrangler View Post
          OK I removed A5, A6 and A7 powered on and got a full white screen just as you said. I have attached pic of board and I think TNPH0721 3A is what I'm looking for. Is this correct?

Thank you very much for the help.
          Tim
          NO,

TNPH0721 is the main part number and under that it has a suffix matrix to work out the rev, could be AJ but we need a clearer closeup as it's blurred.

It's a bank of jumpers they put one next to the rev letters to indicate.

Comment

I think this is it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Suffix AJ, I think.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

yeah, TNPH0721AJ

Comment

It worked!! Thanks everyone

Comment

Rats, It happened again. This same TV you guys helped me fix 4 years ago got zapped by lightning again. This time I have video screen but it doesn't see any input. I can scroll through the menus and change the input selection but that's it. I have no power cycling like before and there's no clicking sound. Could it possibly be the A board again? Maybe I should try the earlier mentioned test again?

Thanks for reading
                    Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X