Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit an8 32x

Greetings,

I have an ABIT AN8 32X motherboard with one bad cap and I think maybe more. Right now after you push the power button the system will either not even turn on, or after it turns on will turn off by itself after about 30 to 60 minutes. In the picture I've attached I can see that its got 1 bad capacitor from what I can see marked as KZG 6.3v 2200uF. Should I replace all the KZG caps? Could they be bad even if they don't show failing signs? I have been reading seeing that the Rubycon should still be ok? I'd just replace the board because I hear that the chipset this board uses (NVIDIA nForce4) could also fail, but I've come into a money crunch and am trying to be as frugal as possible. Thank you all for your help!
    Attached Files

Re: Abit an8 32x

Originally posted by eduel80 View Post
    In the picture I've attached I can see that its got 1 bad capacitor from what I can see marked as KZG 6.3v 2200uF. Should I replace all the KZG caps? Could they be bad even if they don't show failing signs? I have been reading seeing that the Rubycon should still be ok?
    If you are tight on money, replace the one obvious bad and the remaining KZG in that same area. United Chemi-con are normally reliable caps, but the KZG are known to be problematic and do not like heat. They can also be bad without any obvious signs of bloating.

The Rubycon should be okay.

Get quality low ESR replacement caps from digikey as shipping in the USA is likely to be around the $2.50 USD for capacitors.

Badcaps.net also sells caps on the main page.

If you are not sure how to choose caps, see my example below

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If they are 2200uF, then replace them with https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=168

Also, the nForce 4 didn't have the underfill defect, so it should be fine.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ok so finally I have replaced the caps on this board, actually very easily yet when I turn the power switch to on for the PSU it does nothing. There is a LED display on the board and it used to always say 9.9. Now it's blank or has 0.0. If I leave the PSU on for over 5 minutes. When I turn the PSU off it makes a mini "swoosh" sound like jts discharging. Please, anyone got any hints or can assist? Thanks a ton.

Comment

What Brand/Model PSU are you using? Could it have been contributing to the problem all along?

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The PSU is a RAIDMAX 630W. Bought with newegg and their part number is N82E16817152026, paid $99 for it, with free shipping. I was given it for christmas, and installed it on 26th of December 2006 (only reason why I knew when it was installed lol). It has ran non stop until the last part of November 2012. So I guess I got my money's worth. I can try another PSU from a different PC to see if that's the problem.

Comment

holy shit!
              a raidmax from 06?
              one that hasnt exploded yet?
              generate some lottery numbers from its serial number and play em!
              then drop it in the nearest dumpster,bonfire,ect.

Comment

PSU is likely culprit, it does not look anything like the real shitty models we often see here on Badcaps, but after so long I'm sure those Teapo caps are toast...

http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_22102682/tm.htm
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Well, after some agonizing trys at getting another PSU I had one mysteriously appear at my doorstep this afternoon (got to love roommates). Pluged it in and the board posts and boots with the new caps! I'll include snapshots of my old caps, and the new ones installed and work done. Thanks guys!

Also looking yup, caps in the PSU are toast. Think it can be fixed? I'll see if I can get a pic for you shortly.

-Ed

Comment

Sure, the PSU can probably be fixed and if it's populated as well as in the link I posted above it might even be worth it...
                    Need to be careful with what capacitors to choose though, PSU's are designed with certain components in mind and you can't veer too far off with their specifications before strange behavior will be experienced
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

So are you speaking, component for component, like same voltage, and uF, etc, but can change brand of said component, like I did with the caps on the motherboard?

Comment

Yes. Use appropriately spec'd parts from a decent manufacturer, like Panasonic or Nichicon. With PSUs, the ESR of the caps often needs to be slightly higher than on motherboards. Unfortunately, Badcaps.net doesn't carry very many suitable PSU caps, so you may have to get them from Digikey
                        Last edited by c_hegge; 12-20-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X