polymer caps with red writing = fujitsu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polymer caps with red writing = fujitsu

i was trying to figure out if these silver polymer caps with red writing were any good. actually they can be fujitsu which you identify by the first letter on the top line which is an F.

the pic above is the Asus A8R32-MVP which appears to have these caps and also has panasonic and chemicon. no bad brands which is good to see on an asus.

here is a closer view of one of the caps

you can see both the well known yellow fujitsu fpcap re series OL, SL with the cap we are talking about from the same series but R5 type

the specs are ESR 5mOhm, ripple is also high like most polymers

compare them to SEPC which are slightly worse in ESR and max Ripple

the asus board also came with sepc and the rest chemicon instead in some reviews. hmmm tough choice now.

while we are on the subject of polymers, check also the skywell uni-con SEL series above. Their 330uf 16v are often on asus graphics cards. check the specs - bingo they are 7 mOhm ESR and 6100 ripple. the rest of the series is quite strange specs though, not very good at all except for the 820uf 2.5v
    Attached Files
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: polymer caps with red writing = fujitsu

The leakage current is awfully high on the Skywells, compared to the Fujitsus.

Speaking of the Fujitsus, I have a flaky i845PESV with seven yellow Fujitsu 560uF, 4v SPAs - and 3 of them have a small, but unmistakeable bulge on the top. Two of these are on locations right next to 10mm Rubycon 3300uF, 6.3v MBZ - which are absolutely flat-topped. These two locations have both 10mm & 8 mm footprints, which leads me to think that they were originally designed for standard low-ESR Al- electrolytics, but they got swapped out for Fujitsu SPAs when high-power Northwoods came along. The board was brand new, and lasted barely 6 months of normal daily use. Fortunately, the CPU and DDR DIMM survived without harm - I took it out of service the moment it started acting flaky.

Comment

From what I understand, polymer caps don't have the bulging/leaking problem like electrolytic ones. By this logic, any solid polymers should be 'good' caps... unless they use shoddy manufacturing techniques, that is!

Also, I just want to point out something. Just because caps don't have a plastic sleeve doesn't necessarily mean they're solid polymer. If you look closely there may well be a K or X vent on the top - and that means electrolytic.
      You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

The yellow Fujitsu Solid Polymer Aluminium (SPA) caps all have K-vents, but they're solid electrolyte, not liquid. They've been known to fail due to moisture ingress, sometimes with a small bulge at the top.

Comment

Like on my Dell Dimension board. It has a few bulged Fujitsu caps, but is perfectly stable.
          The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Working...
          X