Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 2493 HM issue

Originally posted by zulururu View Post
    Is it a question for me ?? if yes, my DMM doesn't have a capacitor range .....sorry !
    Not exactly, I got the threads mixed up.
    I am not really sure where you are on you monitor, I guess the point I was trying to make was there have been several failures of that capacitor. It sure wouldn't hurt to check the capacitance of it, and if the equipment on hand is unable to test it, I tried to give several suggestions on how to get it tested without spending a lot of money.
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Ah ok Thanks Alexanna !
      I ordered an SMPS controller on August 19th apparently, it's coming from Australia and I still did not receive it, so as soon as I install it, I will let you know if that worked, if not, I will try to check that capacitor !
      Thanks for the heads up though !
      Cheers,

Comment

After more than a month, I've finally received my SMPS controller ... but after installation, unfortunately, my monitor is still not working .... I still don't have 5.3v or 24v ....
        Do you have anymore suggestion ?

Comment

After more than a month, I've finally received my SMPS controller ... but after installation, unfortunately, my monitor is still not working .... I still don't have 5.3v or 24v ....
          Do you have anymore suggestion ?
          Darn!!! I had temporary access to another BN44-00195A and made some measurements with the supply operating. Here is the comparison. As you can see, they are very similar. Unfortunately, I did not make measurements on other points on the board, and no longer have access to that supply.

Pin Yours Other one
          1: 5.05v / 5.08V
          2: 5.05v / 5.08V
          3: 2.54v / 2.55V
          4: 0.00v / 0.00V
          5: 5.08v / 5.11V
          6: 0.07v / 0.07V
          7: 0.07v / 0.07V
          8: 5.04v / 5.08V
          9: 14.60v / 11.90V
          10: 0.00v / 0.00V
          11: 0.19v / 0.19V
          12: 14.06v / 11.30V
          13: 0.00v / 0.00V
          14: 0.27v / 0.25V
          15: 15.06v /12.2V
          16: 5.04v / 5.07V

The next thing to test is CM812. I know your DMM does not have a capacitance function, so pull CM812, set your DMM to the 20 Megohm range, and touch the probes to the cap. You should get a reading that increases, eventually going open.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thank you Plainbill, I will measure that, also my DMM doesn't have capacitance function, I discovered I have one at work I can use which has capacitance function, should I use that one instead ? If yes, to measure capacitance, should I desolder CM812 or there is no need for it ??

Comment

Hello again, I did the measurements with pin 4 as the ground and I have the same results +/-0.02v.... I will be waiting for your answer about CM812 and check it tomorrow .
              Have a good day,

Zulururu

Comment

Hello again, I did the measurements with pin 4 as the ground and I have the same results +/-0.02v.... I will be waiting for your answer about CM812 and check it tomorrow .
                Have a good day,

Zulururu
                How about this - try checking it in circuit. If it reads 12nF +- 5%, it's good. If it reads anything else, pull it and check it out of circuit.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I had to desolder to have a correct reading and I have 11nF so I guess it's good....

Comment

I had to desolder to have a correct reading and I have 11nF so I guess it's good....
                    Darn!!! Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that everything up to the driver transformer is good. As is my habit, I've marked up a picture.

Six areas of interest are circled, and lettered A-F. Standard precautions apply - don't electrocute yourself. Make sure any resistance measurements are made with the power off, any voltage measurements are made with the power on. You can use either the signal card or a 3.3K resistor to turn the main supply on.

F is a resistor, it is the resistor standing on end; it provides power to the transformer primary drivers. With power OFF measure the resistance.

E is a capacitor. With power on, measure the voltage across it.

A is the small transformer which isolates SMPS controller from the main FETS. Each yellow circle encloses the ends of one winding. Check for continuity of each winding.

D is the primary of the main SMPS transformer. Check continuity.

C are the main drive FETs. Check for shorts.

B Is a number of transistors and diodes that handle level shifting. Check for shorts.

PlainBill
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is another long shot! But it won't take long to check.
                      If my memory serves me correctly, on the other style Power supply the 24volt rail had to come up before the 5.3 volt would start.
                      I don't know if this has been tried, but I wonder if there is a problem with the 24V within the inverter causing the second half of the power supply to shut down.
                      Have you tried this with the inverter unplugged? See if the 24 and 5.3 Volts comes up.
                      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Thanks for you help !
                        Just to make sure, when you say "check for shorts" do I have to check for a resistance which mean with power off and in between 2 poles or between a pole and the ground ....or does it mean check for voltage between 2 poles or again between the pole and the ground ?? Excuse my ignorance !

Comment

Just to make sure, when you say "check for shorts" do I have to check for a resistance which mean with power off and in between 2 poles or between a pole and the ground
                          Checking for shorts (i.e. resistance) is always done with power off. Any resistance reading under 30 ohms suggests the component is shorted. If it is a 3 pin component, measure pins 1-2, 1-3, 2-3 (all possible combinations).
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Retiredcaps description is correct. When I say 'continuity', it means two points (in this case, the ends of a transformer winding) should be connected.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks again for the explanation !
                              I did the measurements, Here are the results:

A/ all around 0.7 ohm

B/ As per the picture below:

For the 2 upper ones
                              Between pin 1-2: 23,4 ohms
                              Between pin 1-3: 23,4 ohms
                              Between pin 2-3: 0.5 ohm

For the 4 lower ones:
                              Between pin 1-3: no continuity (infinite)
                              Between 1-2: no continuity (infinite)
                              Between 2-3: 0.5 ohm
                              R1: 22.5 ohms
                              R2: 22,6 ohms
                              R3:22.6 ohms
                              R4: 22.5 ohms

C/ As per the picture below
                              Between 1-6: 23 ohms
                              Between 2-5: 0.7 ohm
                              Between 5-4: 23 ohms

D/0.7 ohm

E/ O volt

F/ 6590 ohms

Alexanna, I tried to unplug the inverter board, with the signal card plugged in though and I don't have +24 v but around 0.05V, same results with the inverter plugged in...
                              Even if my monitor doen't work, I'm still learning a lot of stuff ;-)
                              Attached Files

Comment

There are 2 FETs in area C. If my weak spatial mapping skills are correct, 1, 2 and 6 is one, 3, 4, and 5 is the other (as per PlainBill's numbering).

So you want to measure resistance (power off) between

1-2, 2-6, and 1-6.

3-4, 3-5, and 4-5.

You should have 6 readings.
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks again for the explanation !
                                  I did the measurements, Here are the results:

A/ all around 0.7 ohm
                                  That is reasonable.
                                  B/ As per the picture below:

For the 2 upper ones
                                  Between pin 1-2: 23,4 ohms
                                  Between pin 1-3: 23,4 ohms
                                  Between pin 2-3: 0.5 ohm

For the 4 lower ones:
                                  Between pin 1-3: no continuity (infinite)
                                  Between 1-2: no continuity (infinite)
                                  Between 2-3: 0.5 ohm
                                  R1: 22.5 ohms
                                  R2: 22,6 ohms
                                  R3:22.6 ohms
                                  R4: 22.5 ohms
                                  All of these are reasonable. The three legged components are actually dual diodes and zener diodes, I believe.

Please remeasure per retiredcaps suggestion.
                                  D/0.7 ohm
                                  This is reasonable; it's a transformer winding.
                                  E/ O volt

F/ 6590 ohms
                                  These are mistakes on my part. Of course, the resistor is E, and I would like you to measure the resistance (power off); the capacitor is F, and I would like you to measure the voltage across it (power on).

Alexanna, I tried to unplug the inverter board, with the signal card plugged in though and I don't have +24 v but around 0.05V, same results with the inverter plugged in...
                                  Even if my monitor doen't work, I'm still learning a lot of stuff ;-)
                                  PlainBill

Comment

Oups, Sorry about the measurement of area "C":

1-2, 2-6, 5-3 and 3-4 gives me all no continuity (infinite resistance)

- "E" gives me 0.6 ohm

- "I" gives between 3V and 9V DC constantly changing .....

Comment

Oops, here comes something else, I juste checked for voltage on the big 450V 82 uF capacitor for voltage and, power On as well as power Off I have the same voltage 163V ( I used to have 378V with power ON, 163V with power Off)..... did I do anything wrong ?

Comment

Oops, here comes something else, I juste checked for voltage on the big 450V 82 uF capacitor for voltage and, power On as well as power Off I have the same voltage 163V ( I used to have 378V with power ON, 163V with power Off)..... did I do anything wrong ?
                                        Possibly. I have been unable to locate a schematic for this power supply, however the design is identical to the BN44-00214A in this thread.

I've being called away to fix dinner; I may not be able to get back to this tonight.

PlainBill

Comment

Don't worry PlainBill, take your time and Bon appetit ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X