imac G5 Celetronix P/N :614-0363

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imac G5 Celetronix P/N :614-0363

I was given a 2006 imac g5 2.1ghz 20" non working. I opened the unit up to examine the power supply and saw something very out of the ordinary. The power suppy is a Celetronix () 614-0363 and the bottom of the board has a thin copper shield with a wire soldered to it and jumpered to another pin on the board. I saw the pin next to the solder joint has a black mark on it. Measured power and got nothing. Is this normal to see on this power supply? I another unit lying with the copper base and jumper should I do the same if I decide to switch it?

-Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: imac G5 Celetronix P/N :614-0363

iMac iSight G5, correct?

PSU for G5 17" & 20" and Intel models.

aka: 614-0378 , 661-3780 , 614-0394 , 614-0401 , 614-0361
    Celetronix: APP-22-LFM33 , API14ST03 , APP-22-LMF38A/LMF60 (which one?)

Black mark looks like a short/arc burn?

Check mains power and power across mains cap with unit just plugged in (not jumpered or switched on). If no power, check fuse and bridge rectifier.

Pictures please. Use "Go Advanced" button and upload to forum as attachments. Please don't link to offsite picture sites or post pics inline.

Please update your profile with your location.

Toast
    Last edited by Toasty; 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Well its nice to see a supply with a shield like that. You never know, but it is good design practice in any case. The wire connects the shield to ground on the pc board. Purpose? To limit radiation of the switching frequency noise. Black mark: felt pen check mark made by QC? The classic way of doing QC (do they even have QC anymore?) is to put a dab of Glyptol on the solder connection, indicating the the inspector looked at it.
      Is it plugged in?

Comment

The Model is an APP-22-LMF38A. The black mark looks like a short. Now can these pw supply still be used? can I just clean the burn mark by de soldering and applying new solder? I have attached pictures as you request. I apologize if the picture quality isn't great.

-Thanks again.
        Attached Files

Comment

Help anyone?

Comment

Tough to make out marks with fuzzy pictures.

That appears to be the bridge rectifier, but I can't make out if it's the input or output...?

Are there marks under that spot where it mounts in the computer case?

Do a diode check on the bridge and check the fuse.
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Sorry but how would I check the diode and fuse? What would I look for?

Thanks again.

Comment

Do you have a multimeter?

Comment

Missed your reply ub6ib969.

Using a bridge rectifier circuit diagram, measure the 4 diodes within accordingly. Use the "diode check" function of your DMM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

Use the DMM "continuity test" function to check the fuse. Usually the lowest resistance scale does this. Some even have a buzzer or tone function which sounds when the continuity is good.

Attached Files
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Once plugged and not powered on it makes a ticking sound. I got another working unit and soldered the cooper plate where it was blown in the picture and it is making the same ticking sound. This copper plate is driving me nuts I don;t know where to place it and where the wire is soldered too. Does anyone know?

Comment

HI, are you still looking for this info?

I just got a faulty PSU delivered to me this morning ( i repair PSU's ) so if you still need the info i will try to take a clear pic & upload (never tried uploading before).

Graham

Comment

Please! and thanks for the help

Comment

Hi, i will see if i can get them to upload. On one of the images you will see a close up of the edge of the board (top side) where the power lead goes. You can clearly see the fuse marked F1 & on the top it says T4A. You can check across it with a multimieter on continuity setting. Hope it helps. When you get it running i would replace the 5 caps on the output side (4 x 220uf/50v & 1x 680/16v). Would be interested to know what voltages you get out of the thing.

Graham
                          Attached Files

Comment

>>This copper plate is driving me nuts I don;t know where to place it and where the wire is soldered too. Does anyone know?<<

What the...?

The copper plate is just a shield. Your picture in post #4 shows where it's soldered to. It is NOT the cause of the ticking. What's -under- it may be, but we never got good pictures.

That and you never responded to post #9. You never answered the question in post #6.

You want answers but are non-responsive to questions posed. Why should anyone bother?

@nogger - What is going on with the bridge rectifier connection next to the plate wire? That looks damaged and is the same point that ub6ib969 has burned.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

@Toasty, yes there was some bad soldering around this area which i have now redone. The main problem i found was arcing where the power cable solder into the board, quite poor tracks but they have cleaned up ok now.

At present Toasty i am getting about 5v out on the PG cable (nothing on the main output), this is the first Apple PSU i have done, how does it start up, ground the PG ?

Comment

I have not had the opportunity to examine these supplies first hand. But, going from experience with the othe Celetronix supplies I have worked on...

Do a continuity check on the output to see if the MOSFETs are shorted. Analog meter is good, but a DMM on diode-check will do also.

Make sure you present some load to the Celetronix supplies before you fire them up.

>>how does it start up, ground the PG ?<<
                                Since that is the only way I can see to make it run, I'm guessing that is correct. This is just a single output 12v supply.

veritas odium parit

Comment

Well thats the only way i can see to fire it up as well, I willl try pulling the PG to gnd via a resistor & see what happens.

I checked the Mosfets already they are good, no shorts anywhere 7 the caps have been changed for Panasonics so i wll hook a drive up & see if it likes that & let you all know.

Graham

Comment

Post #6- no burn marks on the computer case and to tell you the truth Toasty my skills using a multimeter is not the greatest. I am just really confused. I checked the voltages and am getting nothing going out the inverter nor board.

Comment

I do not have one to point out what to measure or test. The cheapest of this model I can find on flea bay is ~$65, and they are not broken.

Other working models exist including Delta or AcBel starting around $45 with free shipping.

My suggestion would be to hook up with one of them and move on.

If you were in the US, I'd look at it for you for shipping and parts just to have the experience. Shipping to and from Canada is going to add enough to postage to make it not worthwhile. IMO

veritas odium parit

Comment

I received a working power supply hooked it up and turned on the power and nothing. I checked the DCV going to the inverter and confirmed 2 grey wires putting out 12v each, the brown one is not putting out anything,don't know if it should be or not please confirm. The 2 wires going out to the MB are putting out nothing also, but I did a continuity test between the 2 and it fluctuates between 1623-1898. I also checked the The pin that has the soldered wire on and tested the four pins (the ground on the soldered wire) and it displayed 74dcv-70dcv, 74dvc, and 157dcv -143dvc. The DCV was set at 200. At one point I felt the heatsink was really hot but I am getting no fans working or chime. I have also replaced a few caps on the board that where bad. Please confirm my findings and please have patience I am a slow learner

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X