"Ole blue" power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Ole blue" power supply

Seems like folks here like mystery power supplies, so here is one for you. The case is painted a shiny glossy blue. PWM chip is KA7500C so it is a half bridge. Supervisory chip is a Weltrend WT751002. Heat sinks block seeing power transistors and output diodes. The cables are unusual and appear to be OEM. Here are some photos.
    Attached Files
    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Re: "Ole blue" power supply

Either a Ultra or PowerUp! 600W to 800W? It's definitely Wintech built with the flex force cables. A so-so 600W unit.

Comment

I thought it looked a bit like an Aspire/Apevia unit with the blue casing and yellow caps.
      (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=15)
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Antec (CWT) used Koshin caps in some of their True and Smartpower units. Only in the low voltage non stressed sections though.

They're probably not as bad as Fujiyuu but not much better either.

Are those heat sinks copper or copper colored (anodized) aluminum?

The design doesn't look too bad definitely not a gutless wonder. The placement of components inside reminds me of a Smartpower especially that little PCB above the IEC power connector. I believe the SPs used the KA7500 PWM IC as well.

The only difference is the daughter board for the fan controller is screwed to the heat sink instead of being connected perpendicular to the PCB with a soldered pin header.

Gotta admit the shiny blue paint and cables are purdy .
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-24-2010, 04:35 PM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

*cough*

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&sku=GEN-6803

I believe Ultra or Wintech patented those flex force cables. I think they are also UV reactive.

Comment

You guys are just too good!!!............It is in fact a Ultra Xfinity Model ULT-XF600 with a 600 watt rating. The heat sinks are copper in color, perhaps copper anodized.

I was not too sure about the cables, if they were OEM or if some fanatic had rewired this power supply. I have never seen a power supply with cables like this.

It does remind me of the Antec true power. KA7500 pwm chip, dual fans, and crowded parts. It powered up under very small load, and both fans stayed off. Haven't found any bulging caps yet, so don't know why this one was discarded.
            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I read a few reviews at the link 370 provided above the consensus was that the fans liked to die. If that went unnoticed as I'm sure it did for most users they probably overheated and self destructed.

Either the fan controller kicked the bucket or more likely the fans were cheap and the sleeve bearings ran dry.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-24-2010, 06:33 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                I read a few reviews at the link 370 provided above the consensus was that the fans liked to die. If that went unnoticed as I'm sure it did for most users they probably overheated and self destructed.

Either the fan controller kicked the bucket or more likely the fans were cheap and the sleeve bearings ran dry.
                Like the Antec SmartPowers I have then. Fans seized, and they're slimline things that are hard to replace.

Comment

I believe on the Antec only the intake fan on the inside of the computer case was slimline (I think it was 15mm thick) the exhaust one was the standard thickness 25mm.

I never had problems with gummed fans on the Antecs and I've got to be running around 5 then again I blast my computers and PSUs regularly with compressed air to prevent excessive dust build up.
                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

The cables appear to be of oxygen-free copper (OFC) type.
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Who comes up with these cap names??

Comment

as some may or may not know, the PSU in question is now in my possesion

anyway, the following things are know or have been done to the unit:

1. it is confirmed the the heatsinks are anodized AL, not CU.
                        2. one fan was dying and the other was headed that way; both have been replaced
                        3. it will be recapped in the very near future.
                        4. the 230/115 switch is gone; I soldered one of the switch wires to where the other was soldered in to permanently set to to 120v.

I have noted one thing that may or may not be an(like normal hard drive write activity issue: when plugged in, power off, it makes a weird noise (screeching), which goes away once it is turned on. the 5vsb voltage is 5.12v. the only other thing in the odd range was the -12 was -10.88, which seemed low.

i thought i read somewhere that bad primary caps can cause noises as can loose PI coil cores..
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 01-02-2011, 04:32 PM.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

hello? anybody?
                          sigpic

Comment

I had a similar high pitched noise with an Antec StupidPower 450W. I was able to fix it by replacing all of the really small caps. I didn't have to touch the primaries.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

it almost sounds like something is arcing... but all the voltages are fine.
                              sigpic

Comment

Can you narrow the sound location? The paper towel roll trick?

With it not turned on the only circuit would be 5vsb and mains. The 5vsb trafo would be my first area to check.
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

it seems to be coming from the front end with the lid on (front= inside cables). not 100% sure where on it the 5vsb is... i will check after school... that might be it.
                                  sigpic

Comment

When the power supply was here, I did not hear the squeal - it may have such a high frequency that I simply couldn't hear it - as you get older you lose the ability to hear those real high frequencies.

With power off but psu plugged in, the problem is most likely the 5vsb. As was said above, the most likely culprit is the small caps around the 5vsb circuit. With a little more time the 5vsb circuit may start going overvoltage. Since that is an older half-bridge psu, it probably has the two transistor 5vsb circuit. If so, it would be cool if you would improve upon it using one of the commonly available pwm chips, such as DM311, TNY266, ICE series, etc. It is not hard to do, except on the first one. But you do learn a lot in the process.

Comment

5vsb will be right around the smaller trafo. To work in that area, it appears you're going to have to pull the board and likely one of the heatsinks due to their shape and closeness.
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

it will be worked on at a later point then... i am working on the 950w unit first.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X