Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 205bw, blink of death

Hey guys

I have an older Samsung Syncmaster 205bw monitor that recently has started up with the blink of death. It seems very similar to the case mentioned in the thread about the samsung 225bw monitor, and I believe the monitors are of the same family. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6930

Symptoms:
    When you press the power button, the LED turns on for a few seconds, ~4, and starts blinking. The screen would show an image for 2 seconds, blink off to black for another few seconds, another image and back to black. It was working fine after an hourish, totally perfect but now it won't stop blinking.

I can only see an image on the screen with a flashlight when the monitor blinks on showing an image, but I can see the image fine then anyhow.

It's definitely not the computer or cable, because I'm using the computer on my TV.

Now, after reading the thread about the Samsung 226bw, I opened up my monitor and found bulging capxon's in there, 2 larger ones, although the rest appear to be fine.

Basically, my theory is that I need to replace these, so essentially I wanted advice that I am buying caps that will work correctly.

The bad caps are

2x Capxon 1000uf25v, Height: 20mm, Diameter: 10mm

And then the rest are
    470uf 25v H: 16mm, D: 10mm
    470uf 35v H: 16mm, D:10mm
    2x 1uf 50v H: 10mm, D: 5mm
    And a rather large, H: 40mm, D: 15mm, 120uf45v as well.

I was going to replace them all, so
    1000uf: Panasonic ECA-1EHG102 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...iYLI23KOHIo%3d
    470uf 25v: Panasonic EEU-FC1E471 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...ZzWLt%2fkPU%3d
    470uf 35v: Panasonic ECA-1VHG471 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...sgBOCorAzbI%3d
    1uf: Panasonic EEU-FC1H1R0 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...QZY9bgmmYG0%3d

Hopefully I haven't forgot anything of importance. Anyhow, if those caps listed would work as replacements, that's my main question. Thanks again

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 205bw, blink of death

Originally posted by jon_e_33 View Post
    Anyhow, if those caps listed would work as replacements, that's my main question.
    It is hard for me to see what the series is with Mouser, but most here prefer Panasonic FC or FM series. PCBONEZ talks about how to choose the "correct" series below

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...47&postcount=3
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ah good call. 2 of the replacements I picked were FC series, 2 were NHG. Totally forgot about that. I assume I ought to use the same manufacturer for all, or does it matter? I found Nichicon replacements just incase.

As far as diameter and height, do they have to be the exact same or will I be ok as long as they fit? My ruler isn't very good and it's hard to get specific.

New caps:
      Nichicon HE series 470uf 35v: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1583-ND

Nichicon HE series 1000uf 25v: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1558-ND

Nichicon HE series 470uf 25v: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1552-ND

Nichicon PW series 1uf 50v: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1886-ND
      Last edited by jon_e_33; 10-06-2010, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_e_33 View Post
        I assume I ought to use the same manufacturer for all, or does it matter?
        I'm not picky. Same manufacturer or different is fine. I usually order what is cheapest (out of Rubycon, Panasonic, United Chemicon) since I have no financial shares in any capacitor company!
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

As far as dimensions, the only critical factor is 'will it fit'. Agreed, no problem with mixing brands.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I just successfully repaired a 205bw monitor. Thanks for the help guys. I replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors inside it. Here's what I ordered:

quantity: one
            493-1583-ND
            CAP 470UF 35V ELECT HE RADIAL
            SCHED B: 853222
            ECCN: EAR99
            LEAD: LEAD FREE
            ROHS: ROHS COMP

quantity: four
            493-1558-ND
            CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT HE RADIAL

quantity: one
            P13478-ND
            CAP 10UF 50V ELECT EB RADIAL

This monitor was given to me because it no longer worked. So this monitor essentially cost me $6.69. Display is crisp 0.254 dot pitch, 5ms response, 1680x1050 it is running right now just to see if it works. Menu now works again, everything works good as new.

Comment

now an update. unfortunately, this screen now intermittantly glitches after powered on and the buttons won't always work. I'm not sure what else should be replaced inside. there are other types of capacitors and the controller board has surface mount ones. it is kinda acting like some sort of capacitors are still malfunctioning. I may source a controller board or look into replacing the other types of caps. I'm not sure but it seems like one could remove all the solid caps and replace those, but I am unsure if that's what it needs. right now, the monitor works again with all the menus and button functionality. In order to get them to work again, the display needs to be turned off at the switch near the power cord for a few minutes or so and then turned back on. Otherwise if you are lucky enough when turning it off at the switch, the blue power LED will remain lit for about 5 seconds then go out, At that point, it can be switched back on and it will function normally.

Well I'll let you guys know if it gets fixed. No idea what would be next at this point.

Comment

No edit button on this forum?

Well anyway today I turned it on and it gave me the less brightness so I turned it off and turned back on. It displayed everything in German. I've seen this before. The brightness menu came up in all German too. So I did my typical reset on it and then got the main menu up (also in German) and then I held the Enter button down for 5 seconds for factory defaults. It is running right now with no issue but every day if I leave it off over night, it tweaks out. Obviously something going on with the VGA controller board I guess but I haven't opened it up yet to take a look at the solid caps to order. Not even really sure that will do the trick.

On another thread, it appears that the bad caps may have over volted the vga board and caused some of the IC to start to prematurely fail. Well if it keeps acting up like this I guess I'll take it back apart and see what else I want to put in. I may try to import the controller board for a few bucks from China and see if that fixes things. Just so long as it isn't all in Chinese but I guess it doesn't really matter. The menu is very self explanitory in any language.

I am kinda hoping to figure out from help on this forum or wherever how to salvage all the equipment in side for those who will want to repair this type of monitor in the future. Generally why I'm posting here is to try to help the masses figure this issue out. And that new controller boards may become scarce in the future. Another thing we could really use is someone that could dump the firmware from the IC on the circuit board for archiving in case someone needs to reprogram an EPROM.
                Last edited by rooket_1000farads; 10-17-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Edit: I should mention that the very first thing I did was make sure the display was working properly with English menus and no corrupted menus. It fired right up today before I took it apart.

I followed pmm's advice, located the NVRAM chip with the help of a user from here whom posted videos on youtube and also has a diagram, and desoldered pin 8 (VCC) from the NVRAM chip.

Now the monitor appears to work fine. So I'm going to check on it throughout the next few days and I'll post back if it messes up again and at which point I might just get another controller board for it.

This chip is located closest to the power coming into it from the power board so the bad capacitors probably have over volted this chip rendering it virtually useless.

The chip in question is right next to the longer white connector from the power board. In other words, if you had the board in front of you with the DVI and VGA ports pointing toward you, the chip is 8 pin and located near the top right corner of the circuit board. It is a generic chip similar to a 24C02. I'm so far not 100% sure that it is a 24C02 yet. I'm still getting that verified. The other chips are A21SC which are 24C02. Unfortunately, I forgot to note down what this chip said on it. It was A??SC I forgot what number was in the middle.

Hopefully all is good and that I can find a good replacement for this chip or just leave it as it is.

Edit: Monitor still works fine after 5 tries, leaving it off for several minutes in between during a duration of an hour.
                  Last edited by rooket_1000farads; 10-30-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Update, A81SC chip I'm going to replace it when I get my shipment. Yes this project has been sitting for 4 years. Monitor still works though.

Comment

I got the chips in yesterday and replaced the chip on the controller board and now I'm using a monitor that functions as brand new.

Thanks for the help with the capacitors and with locating the samsung microchip. This monitor project is complete now and fully functioning.

Of course, the monitor sitting behind this one is a 2333 which is a better monitor. But this SyncMaster 205bw was free. I'm into it about $12 for parts now I think.

Comment

Well done - good of you to come back and post - may help others in future.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I think he just helped me.

I have 2 205BW's.. 1 I bought brand new in 2008, and 1 I picked up for parts 2 weeks ago, when mine decided to go all red 1 morning.. with the buttons and menus all messed up. I used the free monitor to test with first.. 3 out of the 4 470uF caps were bulged with 1 of them starting to leak. I replaced all 4 470uF with EEU-FM1V471, and the 1 1000uF with EEU-FM1E102. It fires up to a full colour desktop. I then opened my monitor, but the caps looked completely fine.. I repleced them anyways. The monitor boots to a dark red, but pushing one of the panel buttons cleared it up.. not sure why. I then had 2 completely working 205BW's.. 2 days later, my monitor went red again. This time I found a video on youtube where it was the 10uF 16V caps on the logic board that needed to be replaced. So.. I tested the caps like he showed, and 2 were 0.5Ohms, but the other 3 were 5+ Ohms, and even a 14+ Ohm. So.. doing like his video, I replaced them with through-hole type caps.. but I lost a pad with 1 of them. Even though I tinned and solderd to the trace, I'm guessing it still broke the route of the trace on the other side of the pad. So.. down to 1 monitor again. Then just a few days later.. I woke up today to this monitor all red again! I just can't win. But seeing how I've already recapped the power board, and even tried the second board with no success.. it comes back to the logic board. This time I'm not messing with the caps. :P

So... just A81SC at IC200? I was looking for "NVRAM" or something on the board. :P

btw.. thanks rooket_1000farads... this post gives me hope.

edit: and where exactly did you get it?
                          Last edited by spuzzum; 10-10-2014, 11:10 PM.

Comment

ok, I think I got it...

A81SC = 24C08 and A21SC = 24C02

Comment

Yes just the A81SC chip is what I replaced. Only one of them. I had one leg de-soldered from the board on the old chip so it would function properly (without saving user configuration of course). Now it saves user configuration fine.

Basically all I did was replace all the capacitors in the monitor with electrolytic ones with the highest MTBF specification from Digikey except for the really big one and replaced the A81SC and everything works properly.

Also the number of hours this monitor has been in operation is completely screwed up. When I display it, it says it has been in operation for more than a billion hours. I think this happened because it has been taken apart several times and the glitches with the red screen, wrong language, etc probably confused the heck out of the controller that stores information. It would be cool to know how many hours it was in use but there is no way to recover that data.

There is a tutorial on youtube how to disassemble this monitor. You can take the bezel off with your bare hands and unsnap the whole thing. Then you take the inside parts out. I wish I knew this before I started. I originally used plastic pry bars which are not necessary.
                              Last edited by rooket_1000farads; 11-29-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X