What paint to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What paint to use

Got this laptop, Presario cq56, and someone has painted the top of the lid, my first thought was stupid ***hole would do this rather than buy a new lid, I am not one for painting out scratches etc, because they never look anywhere near as good as the original finishes, and this was poorly done, due to no prep with no filler etc
    having a closer look at this, I thought that this could have been a very good job if filler and some rubbing down had been applied
    The paint that was used was the best I had seen for this type of work, had it been properly prepped I think that you would have found it hard to tell that it had been painted, it was a brilliant finish on the good parts of the lid, tough to scratches, no chipping, looked the same finish as the rest of the original laptop.
    My question is, has anyone, any idea as to what paint that would have been used to give such a good finish,

Re: What paint to use

I was wondering this as well. I have a few laptops with worn out paint. They work perfectly, but they just look bad with all those scratches.

Has anyone tried car paint (epoxy primer/base coat/clear coat) on a laptop ?

Comment

When i paint a laptop I use krylon plastic primer. I can't remember the real name for it. I scuff down the laptop lid clean it well with a tack cloth, spray primer a couple of coats let it dry and set for 48 hours... which is overkill. Then I use krylon paint to paint it the color i want 3 or 4 coats of a hard clear coat. I have great results that have held up for a couple of years without scratching other then paint wear on the corners of the laptop from being in a bag for most of it's life.

Yes i have done car paint but only on desktops I am not sure how hard the car paint is and how it would do on a laptop. It works on bumpers but who knows never personally tried it.

Comment

I've used automotive touch-up lacquer on plastic like polycarbonate, PVC, styrene, and ABS because it dissolves those plastics. Enamel will also dissolve them, but not nearly as much. OTOH polypropylene, polyethylene, and nylon don't react. so with them you may need the Krylon plastic primer that Gerg mentioned. Also Krylon Fusion is supposed to be really good on plastics of all types.

OTOH lacquer has to be sanded and polished to make it shine. Enamel looks better if you do that, but you have to wait a few months for it to harden. Clear coat is an easy way to get a great finish without polishing.

Comment

Thank you larrymoencurly I couldn't remember the name of that paint for the life of me and I forgot to check last night when i was at home.

Comment

why not use laptop sticker? Too many model ,picture available in shop. u can use simply not expensive.

Comment

Working...
            X