Shielded cable for speakers - good/bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shielded cable for speakers - good/bad?

Good day folks. Quick little discussion I'd like to start here: for whatever reason my boss felt the need to swipe the little soundbar I was using on my bench at work to listen to music, which made me very angry and made me do something about it, since I need my beats when I work...don't judge

What I did was take a Vestel 18AMP 06 (if I'm not mistaken) amplifier module I grabbed out of a dead TV a while back, added a jack input to that, powered it with a laptop power brick and got myself 2 home theater speakers I had lying around at home. Not having any wire on hand to quickly connect the speakers to the amplifier module, I chopped one from a mac charger in half and used that. It sounds excellent considering the price was zero and I'm now rocking the joint again

Question is: laptop power cables are normally shielded and this one was no exception, so would using a shielded cable like this, which is in no way intended for this, to power speakers be considered a bad/irrelevant or perhaps beneficial idea ? Center wire goes to + and the shield goes to -.... I can't imagine it "improving" anything in any way, since I would've seen those "cable scammers" selling overpriced "shielded speaker cables guaranteed to improve bass response" and you know...sh!t like that...just an open discussion here. I'm leaning towards no difference between this and regular "two-wire, black-red" speaker cord.
    Wattevah...

Re: Shielded cable for speakers - good/bad?

it's either not going to make a difference, or it could reduce EMI - depending on the power you pump through it.
    and of course if the speakers are negative-grounded and not BTL.

Comment

Cheaper option is to use FTP.
      Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
      1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Kinda off-topic, but did you buy the soundbar, or is it company property?
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

It's technically his, no arguing about that, but still a dick move IMO No problem, the speakers I got do a much better job now. I'm actually planning on hunting down a second amp and run a subwoofer too
          Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
          X