Asus motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus motherboards

Does Asus generally use quality caps on their boards?

Re: Asus motherboards

Sometimes, depends on the board. OST's most the time, which I don't care for.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

current boards seem ok like i mentioned here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3853

best to check when you buy though. who knows really
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I saw good caps in Asus barebone systems recently.

Comment

Seeing a few P4S800s coming in with all panasonics. Something else is failing on these boards. Not having the expertise to diagnose it, I just salvage the caps from the board.

Comment

I bought a Asus A8V-XE a while back that had all Panasonics in it. The board never got used, it's still sitting on the shelf.

I didn't realize it was out of the ordinary.

My A8N-VM CSM system has mostly Chemicon KZG's in it (brown ones). I just assumed that Asus payed a little more attention to quality than EPoX did.

Comment

Last Asus I had was full of OST's, and that was an asus P4C800. New out of the box, I recapped it....not fooling around with those crappy OST's, seen too many fail. On that note, I built an asus barebones for a client about a year ago, it was all rubycon MBZ. I think they just use whatever they have lying around at the time.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

They can't be as bad as GSC.

I have a EPoX 9NDA3 with mostly Sanyos, but everything 1000uf and under is 'OST'. I dont see any evidence of trouble yet.

Comment

Nothing can be as bad as GSC. Only Lelon and Chhsi are close

Comment

I would have put them both ahead of GSC.

Lelon - gold cup. Chhsi - silver trophy.

But then at least they are honest - you can see them when they blow.

Comment

The board in questions is a old Asus A7A266. The caps i'm concerned about are the ones in the attached photo circled in red...the yellow caps. This photo is not my board..I tried taking a photo of my board with my digital camera but it sucks and the photos came out blurry. One of the two i'm on the fence about, when looking at it from the top it looks like it might be slightly swollen, when looking at it from the side it doesn't. I haven't had any issues at all. I don't know if it's the angle i'm looking at it from that is throwing me off or what.

Either way what are the yellow caps in that area of the motherboard responsible for? I know what caps do but what are those particular caps responsible for? I'm assuming either their for the CPU section(CPU socket) or the power section. Abybody familiar with this board and know off the top of their head what caps are used there? When I get a chance i'll open the case up and try to get the values off of them and get a clear photo.

Thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Again this is not my board in the photo...I know a photo of my own board would help immensely. What's weird is the two I circled in purple look slightly swollen. Or is it just me? Being this is a photo I found of off google of the same exact board I have and the same cap looks the same way i'm wondering if it's just the way this particular cap is supposed to look.. Again if I look at it from the side it looks o.k.. I've seen swollen caps before on boards that are obviously swollen, viewing from the top, the side..etc...there's no mistaking it. Usually i'm not on the fence about it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Those vents look like the ones used on Sanyo caps.

Comment

I'd say they were Fujitsu polymer caps. These caps are notorious - they don't bulge and vent like electrolytic caps, but they do absorb moisture (or something to that effect). They can bulge up very slightly, and cause similar symptoms to bad electrolytic caps - but they're nowhere near as bad as Fuhjyyu, GSC etc.

I have some on an ASUS motherboard:

Regarding cap usage on ASUS, I have two machines with ASUS motherboards. One of them uses Rubycon by the CPU, Nichicon HD everywhere else. The other has Rubycon everywhere. These boards are fairly old by today's standards though; perhaps ASUS is trying to save money now by using cheap bad caps
                            You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM

Got this from AMD directly, uses Sanyo caps...
                              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

My a8n SLI-Premium has all United Chemicon caps.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X