Bad caps on work PC (unknown type)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps on work PC (unknown type)

At work, I got called to look at a PC that wasn't booting up at all - and when it did, it would crash again after several minutes. Opening up the case, I saw that the PC was EXTREMELY dusty, and I also noticed that nearly all of the capacitors had blown - see attached image.

This particular PC was on 24/7 at work, but there was plenty of ventilation at the back. I also saw that the PSU fan had stopped working, which could contribute to the problem.

I don't know the motherboard make or model, but there was a sticker 'Pentium 4' on it, so I assume it's a fairly modern one. Are the caps known bad caps, or is the failure just due to the machine being on 24/7 (and the PSU fan dying)?
    Attached Files
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Bad caps on work PC (unknown type)

Originally posted by Tom41
    Are the caps known bad caps, or is the failure just due to the machine being on 24/7 (and the PSU fan dying)?
    Even though I can't tell what brand they are, those caps don't look like 'known good caps' to me, and any cap with crud coming out, regardless of the cause, is bad to me.

Comment

they look like GSC caps. a bad manufacturer

I also saw that the PSU fan had stopped working, which could contribute to the problem.
      lucky the psu didnt burn up
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

if that psu fan has been dead any length of time the caps in it have been damaged too.
        i get industrial stuff in with fan failures and blown caps .even ones from the good list.
        so replace/recap that psu too.

Comment

I just opened up another PC at work, of the same make and model. It too has bad GSC caps (GSC is written on the side of them). All of the caps surrounding the CPU have bulged up, and most are spilling electrolyte from the top.

Amazingly, this particular PC is not exhibiting any signs of failure as yet - but with capacitors in this state, it won't be long before it does! At least the PSU fan on this one is still working.
          You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Working...
          X