Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2007FPb No Power, Power and 1 icon (VGA) blinking

Hi all.

I just tried to use Dell 2007BPb monitor at work and I could not have it working. There is no picture on the monitor, but power button light and icon number 1 (which means VGA) blink every 2-3 seconds (simultaneously). Any ideas where should I start to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance!

tboxxx

Re: Dell 2007FPb No Power, Power and 1 icon (VGA) blinking

Originally posted by tboxxx View Post
    There is no picture on the monitor, but power button light and icon number 1
    Hookup a working computer displaying your favourite wallpaper to the lcd.

1) If you shine a flashlight onto the lcd, can you see the wallpaper?

2) If you power off and power on, does the backlight come on briefly to display the wallpaper?

3) Please post clear focused pictures of all your boards using the manage attachments button. Please do NOT post inline.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

retiredcaps
      Thanks for the reply. I will take a look on Monday.
      I just want to add that Power button does not do anything. I mean, the Power button and 1 icon blinking every 2-3 seconds, but if I push Power button - nothing changes: not picture, Power button and 1 icon still blinking.

Comment

Sounds like the power supply is having trouble staying up. Could be caps, or a shorted component.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Does anybody know a computer repair shop in Edmonton which can repair Dell monitors as well?

Comment

Does anybody know a computer repair shop in Edmonton which can repair Dell monitors as well?
            The cost of fixing your monitor is likely to be more than $40/hour for labour + parts. Some repair shops will just do board swaps and not replace individual components.

On the other hand, your problem could be bad capacitors. To get new caps would probably cost around $15 (shipping from digikey.ca is $8 alone) + your time to open the monitor and solder in the new caps.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you can even find a shop to do it it will be too expensive.
              Retired is right, they'll likely not be willing to do component level repair, so it'll be a board swap *if* they can get one.

I did an Acer 19" monitor last night, took half an hour, and cost about $4.78 for parts.
              That's replacing the defective parts, and all the others that may have also been close to failing.

Do you have any soldering experience?
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Hi all again,

Sorry for long absent.

Here are the pictures (see below).

I have some basic soldering experience.

Any ideas what can be wrong or what should I check first?
                Thanks.
                Attached Files

Comment

Any ideas what can be wrong or what should I check first?
                  Yes, do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use it to measure resistance and DC voltage? If not, we can provide instructions.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    Yes, do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use it to measure resistance and DC voltage? If not, we can provide instructions.
                    Yes, I can find multimeter in the office. And I know how to measure both.
                    Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Okay, on the power board, there is connector CN702 which connects to the logic board.

1) Measure and report all the DC voltages for each pin/color.

2) On the logic board to the USB board, there is a 12 pin U shaped connector. Measure and report all the DC voltages for each pin. Careful not to short out anything here.

3) On the USB board, there are a number of diodes (I count 8). With power off and lcd unplugged, test them "in circuit" to see if they are bad with the diode test function.

4) There are 4 voltage regulators on the USB board. With power off and lcd unplugged, test to see if pins 1-2, 1-3, and 2-3 are shorted. Any ohms reading under 30 suggests a short.

5) There are 2 voltage regulators on the logic board. With power off and lcd unplugged, see if they are shorted.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks, Retired. I will try to do that tomorrow (the monitor is at work).

Comment

Whoops typo for 4) above.

For the USB board, there is 1 voltage regulator and 4 transistors (J598). Check both for shorts.

6) There are 5 fuses on the USB board. Check them all. A good fuse should measure under 1.0 ohms.

So lots of things to check. Take your time and work carefully not to short out any of the components when power is ON.
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 03-03-2011, 01:41 AM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Not that it is the same, but I had a 17 in dell that did that, and it was bad caps on the Logic board.

Comment

I am back.

Here are first results.

1. On CN702 connector everything is:
                              CN contact - Noname contact - 18.84V
                              CN contact - TP713 - 18.84V
                              CN contact - TP714 - 18.09-18.84V (unsteady)
                              CN contact - TP716 - 18.84V

See the first attachment.

2. U shape connectors, 12 contacts:
                              TP31 - TP32 - 18.88V
                              TP31 - TP33 - 18.84V
                              TP31 - TP34 - 17.07-18.84V (unsteady)
                              TP31 - TP35 - 15.55V
                              TP31 - TP36 - 14.70-18.00V (unsteady)
                              TP31 - TP37 - 17.32V
                              TP31 - TP38 - 18.88V

See the second atachment

I think the voltage should not be unsteady there. Is there anything I can check at this point or just to keep going to number 3?

Thanks a lot.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Update 1: I just checked the voltage again - all unsteady voltages are 18.84-18.88 now.
                                Update 2: Turned off - Turned on the monitor - unsteady voltages are back.
                                Update 3: After some time while power was on the voltages became steady.
                                Last edited by tboxxx; 03-04-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Voltages should all be stable and around 19V DC. This could indicate a problem with the caps on the power board being bad. For now, proceed to steps 3-6.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi retired,
                                    I have a question about 3. Do I need to unsolder one end of each diode for this test?
                                    Thanks.

Comment

Do I need to unsolder one end of each diode for this test?
                                      All tests can be done "in circuit". If the readings are suspicious, then you want to desolder one end and retest "out of circuit".
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi Retired,

Here (http://www.elexp.com/t_test.htm) it's said that to test "in circuit" I will need to unsolder one end. I will try tomorrow again.
                                        Just to confirm you were talking about the diodes I selected with red ovals in attachment?

Thanks.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X