NetGear RP614 v1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NetGear RP614 v1

NetGear RP614 v1 was my first router. I got it relatively early (3/4 year) after we got a cable internet on the xmass 2001. The 3/4 wait was there thanks to my father took his time before sending me this suxxka from US of A. At that time it was hard to find anything better/good in Europe, so. And others in family need internet even my computer with WinRoute was off, so... Also my pool little sis want net, and with her the rest of the family & friends, because everyone tend to use her machine to access net

Anyway, the old RP614 v1 one I sold to my friend Lobo (no problems reported yet), however the need for router arise when my stepbro go into colledge in Brno city and on his private apartment need to share net between roomates, so, I bought him one more the RP614 v1 one for good experience with it. In home we have a long time the WGR 614 already, check there for the recap story:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1997

However recently I take a look (after the WGR 614 recap I got my suspiction) inside and I get shocked. Only 4 caps, but all of them from well-known bad brands!

I think that there is not need to introduce Teapo in any way:

However the Taicon craps are way worser!

So, to recap this suxxka, you need:
    1x 1000uF 6.3V d10 h13 (orginaly 10V, but I measured and it is only stabilized 3.3V on it)
    1x 220uF 16V d8 h13 (orginaly 25V, but it only filter the input voltage, witch is 7,5V so a 16V cap is fine)
    3x 47uF 16V d6.5 h13

I took the time to measure the max. voltage spikes with scope on these caps and go for the recap. The only limiting factor there (Samxons are traditionaly with small diamater) is the 13mm max. height. Samxon GK 220uF 16V is exactly same dimensions as the replaced Teapo and futhermore it fit by color perfectly well to the existing PCB

47uF Samxon RS caps was a little big smaller diameter that the replaced Taicons (d5, where the original was d6.5) yet with such small difference they fit w/o glitch:

And the main 1000uF cap is at least farther away from the heatsink, so his tem and the cooled chip temp has to be only lower:

Changing the d10 cap for smaller d8 is not entierly ideal, but I think it is still pretty good, is not it?

After recap the router kicked in pretty well, did not even lost any settings and serve my stepbro still well
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Re: NetGear RP614 v1

Just curious what's the ESR value for the bad caps after 3-4 years?

Comment

What's wrong with Taicon?

Comment

supersabre - no idea, I did not have ESR meter.

Rainbow - it is a known bad cap, so, I wanted it get replaced - after all, it is only 4 caps to replace, 5min of work, 5min of clean up. Worth knowing that the caps aren't dying on me

Taicon - http://www.taicon.com.tw/ (2 reports of fails only but not very commmon to see these caps on motherboards)
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388
        "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
        "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

I've read somewhere around this forums that Taicon is Nichicon made in Taiwan and that the bad ones are probably equivalents of the bad HN(M) and HM(M) series.

Comment

you will see failures with any brand if you wait long enough.
            i get netgear and linksys stuff in often that need reset to run a few hours or are hissing .
            a recap fixes them right up.

Comment

kc8adu -
              you will see failures with any brand if you wait long enough
              True enought, sadly But I do believe that with the Taicons it might be (the failure) knocking at door already, while with the Samxons I have at least 5, maybe 6 years of usage ahead still

And who will want use this obsolete suxxka after 6 years?

And if someone does, and problems arise, I recap again. But we see about it first

Comment

Working...
              X