Help Im Thinking of Poly Moding my Via P4M800pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Im Thinking of Poly Moding my Via P4M800pro

hello everybody. i just discovered this site and did alot of reading.
    my pc was fine when i was using my old 256mb ddr2 ram but since this is too small for windows 7 i upgraded it to a 2gb pc 6400 geli memory module. only 1gb is detected by the motherboard. i guess this motherboard dosent recognize dual channel ddr2 so anyway. at the time of the upgrade my pc was running much much faster. so then i was pleased. but after 3 to 4 months of operation things started to get real bad. slowdowns,lockup's the mouse just freezes ect ect. up to this point that im real desperate in fixing it. because i literally cant use it. for anything!

i found out my motherboard has (12) 6.3v 1000uf teapo capacitors bulging and some residue on each of the vent. on the ram side. while on the CPU side there are a couple of capasitors rated 16V i was thinking of fully poly modding this board. please would somebody help me/give me advice?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1839332

thank you in advance and more power.
    Attached Files

Re: Help Im Thinking of Poly Moding my Via P4M800pro

recap with good quality electrolytics which you can find on this site.

Comment

You may also want to look at your power supply. Generic grey box with connectors few and far between dosen't inspire much confidence.

Comment

While not generally advised on this forum for logical reasons (hey this is badcaps afterall)
        But you say the board will not recognize the RAM, why not upgrade to another mainboard that can use that RAM you already have?

I'm not saying to switch to PCI Express based mainboard as then you would have to replace the CPU, RAM and VGA card too
        But at look on eBay or other sites if you can find a good deal on a better mobo that can use all your RAM? (1GB is quite degrading for Win 7's performance...)

If you do not want to go that route I would advise you that you can swap the vcore capacitors around the CPU to polys, but I'd leave the rest alone.
        I have had experience where it just causes issue, the decreased ESR is simply too much so the design can't handle it... (It was designed with a specific ESR / Ripple etc in mind...)

Oh, and as 370 said open up that PSU and have a look, no idea to do any of the above before you know the PSU is ok!
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

don't leave the rest alone, replace them with good lytics(rubycons, pannys, or equivlant), but just the bulging ones, or some of the same-size ones around the bulging ones too. there is no need to replace the really small ones

you don't need polys around the vrm, but make them at least rubycon
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Oh sorry, I did not mean to leave the bloating caps installed, very poor wording by me!
            I meant to only poly mod the vcore caps (if you want) and then replace the other caps with normal electrolytic capacitors... (not with polys because it could cause issues)
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131

Use these for the 1000uF 6.3v capacitors.

What are the ones around the CPU?
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

the ones around the CPU are branded HMM (5) of which are 6.3v 2200uf and (2) are 16V 1000 uf i replaced the PSU actually i went all out and bought a whole CPU case =/ im sorry for the misunderstanding. i was thinking of poly mods because i heard that poly capacitors can withstand a good amount of heat unlike the regular capacitors. here in the Philippines the temperature can get a bit hot at times. i have no other option but replace the capacitors im on a limited budget. as for the RAM yes its a geli pc 6400 2gb dual channel which the mother board dosent recognize half of it. but if i try CPU Z it recognizes 2gb of memory. only windows and the BIOS recognizes it as 1GB, i really want to poly mod this board, but if the experts here say i cant i would listen and just replace then with whatever i see in the market cause this aint exzactly the spot to be getting quality capasitors if you know what i mean? its hard to find and if you do find it the vendors whould overprice a lot.
                Last edited by weepis; 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

High quality electrolytic capacitors will be fine.

Comment

Poly modding is kind of unnecessary in my opinion, especially with some really good wet electrolytics available, for a lot cheaper, and a lot less aggravation.

The ones you said were HMM, did you mean HM (M)? In that case, they are Nichicon HM, which are typically good, but seeing you have an AGP bus, it was around the time Nichicon made a few bad batches. You can replace those directly with new Nichicon HM. They are great caps and the problem has been resolved.

The other caps (I see Teapos from your pics)...what series?

Comment

That big text is getting annoying

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=134 for the 2200uF 6.3v caps in the CPU VRM

Topcat doesn't have any 16v polies in 8mm diameter (Which I'm assuming the original 'lytics are)

These (from fleabay) will work if you want to polymod the 16v ones

Comment

just came back from the shop. finished replacing all the (12) 6.3v 1000uf teapo capacitors the sad thing is no one here would like what i changed it into im talking about the brand. anyway i changed it into Jackcon 6.3v 1000uf it says on the side low ESR but i doubt that. they look wider and thicker in diameter then the teapo's. the system seems stable. got the DIMM speed back to 533mhz. did some video encodeing. and it seems all the symptoms of bad caps went away. thank god. but im still not satisfied. i think thease caps would wear out in time like 1 or 2 years ( im guessing) anyway here are the pic's

sucessful recap. i guess...
                          Attached Files

Comment

You recapped with Jackcon?? Shame on you! You will have to do it again in a year or so when the replacements fail.

Comment

i know i know =( like i said the market here sucks! they had rubys but 4000uf i hope i can find quality parts before these fail. BTW got them for 6 pesos per piece in the local currency. =(

Comment

You could use the ones I linked to. Either get them here from badcaps or http://stores.ebay.com.au/PC-MotherB...pacitors-Store. He's the only fleabay seller I know of who'se capacitors are genuine (just avoid the Chemio-con KZG and KZJ)

Comment

Yeah Jackcon is worse than Teapo. Either buy off Farnell, Mouser, Digikey. Or buy from a reputable eBay seller....or buy them from here.

Comment

Its okay to use them temporarily, but order the right quality parts. If the caps you put in aren't correctly rated for ESR and ripple you can damage your other components as well.

Comment

wow im amazed in how my board proformance went back to normal even better! if using crappy cap resulted in this i wonder what good capacitors will do. im thinking of replacing all the capacitors in all the electronic appliances that give me problems now heheheheh =)

Comment

You can compare the specs of the original capacitors (ESR and Ripple)
                                        Just search for them on Google...
                                        And then look for the specs on the Jackcon to see how they compare.
                                        It will be a good exercise when looking for good caps later on to replace the Jackcon's with

And I'm glad to hear your system is running better now
                                        P.S. If the capacitors around the CPU look okay visually I'd just leave them alone...

Comment

Working...
                                        X