Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus A8N-SLI-SE No Post, Need Recap or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus A8N-SLI-SE No Post, Need Recap or not?

Hi. I Have a nice Asus A8N-SLI-SE board that stopped booting yesterday. The box runs windows 2008, was up until yesterday where it stopped showing signs of life. Was still 'running' but no display anymore. After a reboot, no post.

I checked all the caps's ESR on the board, checked them while running. All showed good voltage and ESR. I also pulled bios chip and reprogrammed it externally, still no go.

Anyone has a clue on this one ? I'd be happy to fix it instead of spending another 2-300 on a new board + cpu + ram.. Was a smooth running box.

a few Caps are KZG and the rest seems to be all panasonic.

thanks !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cheebster; 06-26-2009, 08:37 AM.

Re: Asus A8N-SLI-SE No Post, Need Recap or not?

What do you use for reprogramming BIOS chips externally? what programmer?

Comment

Hey BigAINZ, i have a Xeltek SuperPro 3000U with the PLCC-32 adapter for the chips.

Comment

My A8N-SLI has been running flawlessly for nearly 4 years, I don't think it is the caps that are your problem. How have you determined that the mobo is the problem?

Comment

>>I checked all the caps's ESR on the board, checked them while running. All showed good voltage and ESR.<<
          You can't check ESR on mobo caps while in circuit. They are paralleled and will not read accurately. How can you measure ESR when running? Not likely. You can verify the voltage on the caps, but that's about it. What did you use to check ESR?

Your report of no video may indicate that the mobo is dead. Onboard video?
          No POST beeps? Did you swap the PSU out with a known good one? What brand & model PSU is in there now?

Jumping to Flashing the BIOS is a bit extreme. Few every require that as a repair method unless you were messing with it and it then failed.

Report info requested please.

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi Toasty. I mesured voltage when running, but ESR when board is shutted off. I use a 'Blue ESR Meter' designed by bob Parker, Anateck Corporation. I built it myself.

PM50, i've tried the cpu in another box, tried 2 other new video cards, 2 new psu's (600w each, should be powering the box..) and 2 ddr2 new sticks of kingston. Everything else is out of the box, just ram/psu/video.

It doesn't have onboard video, no post beeps at all. I have some ram that has leds on it that shows when a system is 'doing' something.. when i boot this one up, usually i see ram activity... but now i get the first led on, then off.

Something has gone bad... ordered cpu+ram+board this morning, i guess i wont be able to figure this one out :| I also did a good visual inspection on board, everything seems fine.

Comment

Oh, and i also tested every component in another pc, such as every original ram stick, the video card, the cpu. The psu in it is a newish ultra 750W.

Comment

seems i have seen plenty of a8n's with dead nf4 chipsets.
                quirky and fragile.
                the good news is there are lots of cheap 939 boards around.

Comment

Is the PSU running?
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

PSU is running. I got box working now with a new Asus P5QL-PRO, 2gb cheapo kingston and a E5200.

kc8adu, u think chipset has gone bad, the main nforce 4 chip ? I think the cpu is going on ebay, RIP socket 939 setup.

Comment

Cheapo Kingston. I thought Kingston was a premium brand!

Unfortunately, socket 939 motherboards are relatively expensive where I live, I suspect it is a similar story where you live. Plus it is now completely outdated.

Comment

Yeah. Expensive here as well, i didn't feel like waiting 2 weeks and spending another 50 bucks to get a 3-4 years old motherboard on fleebay so.. brand new setup. Win2k8 booted right away on it without reinstalling, all good.

Thanks for all the replies, badcap'ers.

Comment

what 939 chip do you have?

Comment

Hey kc8, it's a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ afaik, ADA3800DAA5BV written on chip.

Comment

Originally posted by cheebster
                              Hey kc8, it's a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ afaik, ADA3800DAA5BV written on chip.
                              email/pm sent

Comment

Working...
                              X