Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60PK550 clicking suspect 3BR1565JF

Hi All,

Recently joined this forum after stumbling upon it checking some repairs I had attempted with an LG 60PK550 plasma TV. I grabbed the TV off a local site, and previous owner reported it clicking on and off, then not working. I assumed some sort of power supply issue, got it home and it fired up briefly (say 10 secs) then kept clicking one of the relays. I removed the power supply board – it's a EAX61432501/8 - Rev1.2 - EAY60968901.

I closely inspected above and below board components – couldn't see any swollen or leaking caps, however at IC301 which is 3BR1565JF, there were quite obvious cold solder joints on the 4 middle legs – I assumed this had heated up at some point, causing the solder joints to become suspect. There were also a couple of caps that had very minor potential suspect solder joints, which I reflowed for good measure.

After reflowing IC301, I put that part into google, which brought me to these forums – it appears a fairly common problem, so I reflowed the suspect legs and fired it up. Surprise – the TV worked…for 10-15 minutes, then powered off, and just clicked constantly.

So after some more reading, I tested the legs of IC301, there is continuity between pins 2 and 5 (in circuit), which according to post 2 in this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49908 is not good. So i am working on the theory, that it overheated previously, then once i reflowed the solder, it cooked itself internally? Or would there be another issue upstream/downstream causing the apparent short between legs 2 and 5?

So I am at the point of ordering a new 3BR1565JF, however note that in a few threads it is suggested to use an 3BR1065JF instead. Assume this is the way to go (there appears to be only one shop in Australia that stocks these ICs!).

I also note that a few have said IC701 which is f4316msf17 in some threads, but my IC on the board is f4316msf11, anyway, apparently this can be a culprit as well. No real idea on how to test this IC, and can't find any in stock in Australia. Would it be wise to try and get one of these on the way? Or any other components to test?

Thanks in advance,

Oh – I have basic experience in repairs, do a lot of pinball circuit board repairs, but far from an expert, so any explanations would be appreciated!

Rob

Re: LG 60PK550 clicking suspect 3BR1565JF

Well, happy to report that after installing the new 3BR1065JF, it worked....for 15 mins, then started clicking again.

After more investigation, i decided to change the 33 and 47uf electro caps near the replaced IC, and it has now run perfectly for 4 hours!

Comment

Those caps get overlooked quite often, they never LOOK bad, and can even check the right capacity, but are bad (open), The cap is likely for the VCC voltage for the ic. they use a winding off the transformer to supply the vcc voltage once the circuit starts, if the voltage falls too low the ic goes into standby.

Comment

anthony.gill1@bigpond.com.au
        Originally posted by robm1 View Post
        Hi All,
        where did you buy the ic301
        Recently joined this forum after stumbling upon it checking some repairs I had attempted with an LG 60PK550 plasma TV. I grabbed the TV off a local site, and previous owner reported it clicking on and off, then not working. I assumed some sort of power supply issue, got it home and it fired up briefly (say 10 secs) then kept clicking one of the relays. I removed the power supply board – it's a EAX61432501/8 - Rev1.2 - EAY60968901.

I closely inspected above and below board components – couldn't see any swollen or leaking caps, however at IC301 which is 3BR1565JF, there were quite obvious cold solder joints on the 4 middle legs – I assumed this had heated up at some point, causing the solder joints to become suspect. There were also a couple of caps that had very minor potential suspect solder joints, which I reflowed for good measure.

After reflowing IC301, I put that part into google, which brought me to these forums – it appears a fairly common problem, so I reflowed the suspect legs and fired it up. Surprise – the TV worked…for 10-15 minutes, then powered off, and just clicked constantly.

So after some more reading, I tested the legs of IC301, there is continuity between pins 2 and 5 (in circuit), which according to post 2 in this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49908 is not good. So i am working on the theory, that it overheated previously, then once i reflowed the solder, it cooked itself internally? Or would there be another issue upstream/downstream causing the apparent short between legs 2 and 5?

So I am at the point of ordering a new 3BR1565JF, however note that in a few threads it is suggested to use an 3BR1065JF instead. Assume this is the way to go (there appears to be only one shop in Australia that stocks these ICs!).

I also note that a few have said IC701 which is f4316msf17 in some threads, but my IC on the board is f4316msf11, anyway, apparently this can be a culprit as well. No real idea on how to test this IC, and can't find any in stock in Australia. Would it be wise to try and get one of these on the way? Or any other components to test?

Thanks in advance,

Oh – I have basic experience in repairs, do a lot of pinball circuit board repairs, but far from an expert, so any explanations would be appreciated!
        Where did you the the ic in australia
        Rob

Comment

where did you buy the ic301 from

Comment

some there, prolly look for the seller with the best customer feedback: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...fLoc=2&_sop=15

Comment

Thanks i found one

Comment

thaks i found the ic 301

Comment

Working...
                X