X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8mm x 8mm 680uf 105 degrees - 16V?

Hello,

This is a great website!

My computer quit working entirely and, with no bios beeps, members at two other websites were unable to help me. Having unplugged and removed whatever I could, I finally decided to go all the way, so I took off the fan and heat sink on my m/b.

Beneath, right next to the cpu, were four bulged out and dirty radial caps.

When I read over the list of bad caps printed here at badcaps, I was able to figure out the brand name of the caps, which I had thought was not printed on them. The "O" on the cap was drawn oddly, I thought it was some sort of symbol, like a sun or a planet. I had thought the "st" in lower case next to the planet stood for some sort of specification. It turns out that they are Ost capacitors, so now I have a company to be pissed off at! (Always satisfying, right??)

I want to replace the caps, but I'm confused about the voltage. Here's why. Printed on the caps is:

Ost
    105 (degrees)
    RLA
    4 v
    680uf

However, when I went to the OST website and found the "RLA' product series, it says that the cap has a voltage of "16v." This seems to contradict the "4 v" which is written on the label.

Ost product listing

Another issue I'm having is in regard to the temperature. I did find 680uf 16v caps at parts express which are 8mm x 8mm. (They must be 8mm in ht. or less because they go under the heat sink, and 8mm or less in diameter because three of them sit shoulder to shoulder along side the cpu.) But the caps I found at Parts Express are only 85 degrees and not 105. Owing to their location, this has be a bit worried.

Parts Express

I have spent quite some time searching and not finding, and at this point hope to get some advice. Does anyone know where I might obtain some 8mm X 8mm 680uf caps good for 105 degrees?

And, should I obtain 16V?

Re: 8mm x 8mm 680uf 105 degrees - 16V?

RLA datasheet -

Look at page 2. First item is your cap. 4 volt is correct. Actually it's the only 680uF cap on the sheet.

For those I'd go with polymer caps. Probably 470uF. See the Poly mod thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6308

Brand/make/more info about mobo, plz. Pics help too.
    Last edited by Toasty; 03-27-2009, 02:10 AM.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

i see those often.i use sanyo sepc 560@4v
      replace all of them and fill any empty spots.
      cheap lytics like ost wont live long under that socket 775 heatsink that blasts them with hot air.

Comment

Well, I tried.

What is the "rule of thumb" for poly values when replacing higher capacitance values?
        veritas odium parit

Comment

its based mostly on esr.
          half is fine.
          ex.1500-1800 replaced by 820.
          i also fill any extra spots.
          again esr is the most important thing here.

Comment

Hi Toasty-

Thanks for straightening me out on the voltage. I can clearly see now, they were 4 v caps.

The manual for my mobo is located at:

MS-7046 Ver: 1

I have found 8 "extra spots" where caps can go but there are none. They're locations are highlighted with red dots in this picture.

What types of caps do you put into the empty spots?

And, just to be clear, you are saying that I can replace the 680uf 4V caps with 560 uf or 470 uf.

Comment

image of m/b is here

Is ceramique mandatory in your opinion when I put the heat sink back on the cpu?

Comment

Tinhorn >>can replace the 680uf 4V caps with 560 uf or 470 uf<<

With 560uF/4v Polymer caps, not with aluminum electrolytics.

kc8adu can advise which ones to replace and what slots to fill as he has worked on these boards. All the OST caps should go. Known badcaps and you now have first-hand experience with them.

Ceramique not mandatory. But, nothing less than Arctic Silver.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi Toasty,

I have been researching my predicament quite a bit, and after an hour or so I found a quote which makes me feel much better.

“Some of the aftermarket capacitors are taller than the low-profile cheap-o's used by by the manufacturer. Locating exact replacements for these is like looking for arrowheads in the desert.”

https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=33
                  Finding an 8mm x 8mm capacitor like the ones I'm replacing proved to be very difficult, but I did find the SVPC and (maybe) the SVP series at Sanyo.

the SVPC series

For size E7, according to their size chart for the SVPC series, the diameter is 8mm and the height is 8.3mm. However, I've done some searching and I can't find a place which is selling them.

There is a cap size at Sanyo for the SVP series

SVP series

Size E12 is 8 for the diameter, 8.3 on the height, but then there appears to be "L" of 11.9. I'm wondering if that is length? If it is, I cannot use this cap.

The 680uf in both sizes E7 and E12 have a voltage of 2.5. My guess would be that I shouldn't go down on the voltage? The voltage for the 560uf is 4, which matches the ones I'm replacing.

If anyone has advice on where I can buy the 560uf SVPC series I'd appreciate it.

Hello kc8adu,

I found this quote at the link which Toasty recommended I read:

Originally posted by Scenic
                  replaced all Taicon 1000uF 6,3V crapcaps with Nippon ChemiCon 390uF 6,3V PS series. I also put those in the empty cap spots on that board (especially at the RAM slots).

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6308
                  Would you recommend Nippon ChemiCon 390uF 6,3V PS series for the eight empty cap spots in my board?

Comment

#1, you're in the wrong catalog. Those are surface mount, you need radial leaded (through hole) type. Plus, their ESR isn't low enough.

kc8adu gave you the info, SEPC series.
                    Here -

>> "L" of 11.9. I'm wondering if that is length? <<
                    I know the charts can be dizzying at times, but take a moment and examine them. You'll see where they show you the physical dimensions for the series. Sanyo makes you go through this Exx size coding exercise, where as others just put it right next to each caps info. I find it best to print them out. I have this love/hate thing with PDF's.

>> My guess would be that I shouldn't go down on the voltage? <<
                    Correct in most cases. But, as I am not familiar with this mobo, I cannot say for certain. Sometimes you can, but it depends on what that circuit is doing. If it's a 3.3v circuit then you can't. If it's a 2 volt, then you can... Sometimes.

>>If anyone has advice on where I can buy the 560uf SVPC series I'd appreciate it.<<
                    Well, since you don't want that series...
                    Try this in Google: sanyo SEPC 560uf solid polymer

First one should be correct. Yea, it's a huge number compared to what you want or need, but once you're done, there is always eBay, or you can put them up in Wanted/Sale/Trade section on the forums.

Cheers!
                    Toast
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

i know for a fact those will work.
                      maybe topcat has some smaller qty availible on the main site?
                      remember these are for vcore and vdimm.
                      a bit of detective work will show which are tied to what.your dvm will help here.

Comment

Thanks for the info kc8adu and Toasty.

I found another quote which is causing me to consider another strategy.

I have some caps which are too tall and not polymer, but I'm considering bending them flat to the m/b. I've linked them here. I have the 8mm x 15mm case, and I don't see where information on the ESR is.

On the cap is written:

nichicon
                        680uf 16V
                        HM(M)
                        105 [degrees] C
                        A0811

Here's the quote:

If the replacement cap is taller than the slot it can interfere with the heatsink on some AGP video cards, or interfere with cabling on PCI SCSI controllers and other PCI cards.. The solution to this is to simply solder the cap in laying on its side. This might not be the most pretty way, but it works perfect! Some say that the short length of exposed lead can cause shorts, and to some extent they're correct, BUT, if look at your motherboard and the thousands of other more vulnerable and highly exposed surfaces that exist, and then tell me this is more of a threat....

https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=33
                        Depending upon your thoughts, I'll be making an inquiry to Topcat via the online form in regard to obtaining some Sanyo SEPC 560uf polymer caps.

Bart Simpson has mooned me about 200 times as I have typed this post up. Ewwww.

Comment

Bending them to lie flat is not good on mobo, especially on VRM.

The linked sheet is the master list. Click on the BLUE Series codes to get the datasheet for the specific series.

For sake of discussion ESR=Impedance.

You want 4 volt caps not 10 or 16 volt.

How many caps are you going to need?
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

I will need 4 caps, but I intend to purchase extras just to have them on hand.

On the picture of my m/b you can see three blank spaces just above the cpu and one to the left of it.

That's where the bad Ost caps were. Those were the only Ost caps on the board. I took a picture of those devils just before I removed them.

Originally posted by Toasty
                            You want 4 volt caps not 10 or 16 volt.
                            I'm aware that one can go over on the voltage when replacing caps, I guess not so much though! You wouldn't be for those caps anyway since they aren't polymer.

Originally posted by Toasty
                            Bending them to lie flat is not good on mobo, especially on VRM.
                            I'll trust you on that - no point in my getting impatient and taking chances on screwing up my board.

Comment

Toasty -

I placed an order.

I ran that same search today ("sanyo SEPC 560uf solid polymer") and got a hit on the capking website.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Well I'm going to swallow my pride and ask another very basic question!

The caps have arrived and, after sniffing around longer than I'd care to admit, I'm not 100% sure which is the positive side and which is the negative.

The legs of the caps are the same length. The link at Sanyo has a diagram with an arrow pointing to the purple stripe and the words "polarity marking."

I did read the FAQ here at Badcaps, but the caps shown have a minus on the negative side.

Comment

The half-moon marking is the negative post.

Sanyo sheet actually says:
                                  Polarity Marking
                                  (Cathode)

Cathode in electrolytics means negative. I don't know why they just didn't say negative. Damned eggheads...
                                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi Toasty -

The education of Tinhorn continues!! I'm sure I've provided a chuckle or groan to some of those who are looking over our shoulders.

I installed the 4 new polymer caps and....no luck. My system is doing the same thing that it was. No bios beeps, no signal to the monitor. The fan runs very loudly for a second or two, then there is a two second pause with no power, and then power resumes and stays on. I can write out full details on the symptoms if you are curious, but I'm convinced that the problem with my sytem is the m/b because there are no bios beeps and no signal to the monitor.

Six of the 48 caps on the mainboard (that's counting the 4 that I just installed) are Teapo brand, which are on the bad cap list. These caps do not look stressed in any way, but I know from fixing my monitor that caps can go bad without any outward sign that they've gone bad. Here's the info on the Teapos:

SEK 105 [degrees]
                                    10V 470uf
                                    Teapo
                                    02/04
                                    A3

I must be developing a sixth sense regarding caps. The minute I read the brand name I was suspicious. Everything else on the board is either Rubycon or Nichicon. I've noted the specs and can list them all if you'd like. There are 5 polymer caps which have no brand indication on them.

Three polymer caps, (silver with a black stripe) say:
                                    16s
                                    A14
                                    They are very small. 5mm x 4mm.

Two polymer caps (silver with a red stripe) under my heat sink say:
                                    25v
                                    in front of the 431 there may be a z, an x or some sort of symbol. Of course, I'm calling them polymer caps only because they look like the polymers which I just installed.

Do you recommend that I try replacing the Teapos? If so, with what? I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and buy a new m/b (maybe a new tower!), but willing to put forth a bit more effort in the direction of cap replacement.
                                    Last edited by Tinhorn; 04-02-2009, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Don't assume the other caps are polymer. Regular electrolytics come that way too.

Without the equipment to test the other caps on your board, you could just be throwing good money after bad. Given that you had 4 obvious failures, it was worth the shot. But, as it stands now, it really is up to you as to which way to go.

We could easily come up with all the caps for that mobo, but in the end, it may still be bad.

What brand & rating power supply are you using? Have you checked the PSU for cap problems and correct output voltages?
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

Tinhorn,

Did you put those 3 heatsinks on the MOSFETS?

Do you have a multimeter that you can use to check for shorted MOSFETS?

Once I recapped all the bad & suspect caps on a Gigabyte only to find out it still would not boot due to 3 shorted MOSFETS!

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                        X