X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter for a novice

Hi Bob,

Thank you for that ..i did see that chart also and did not realize it was an updated one so thanks for clarifying that ....And a merry xmas to you and all the other members here..
    Last edited by sam67; 12-18-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Glad the info was of some use, Sam.
      It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Hello all
        Made me this one ESR meter
        http://www.ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html
        Work with him for three years.Very satisfied.
        In my opinion,this is the best analog ESR meter.After some work,i can measure the ESR of any capacitors,including LOW ESR.
        Measurement limit-0,01-10 ohms.
        Well it measures directly to the circuit.
        Not afraid of high voltage,in contrast to the Atlas ESR60.
        This meter is made in the case of the chinese multimeter.
        All this I spent 5 euros.
        Also enjoi some ESR meter Atlas ESR60

Comment

Hello all
          There is just one example of the famous ESR meter.
          All done very well.
          Instead TL062 autor applied AD822.
          http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67485

Comment

Those analog meters don't have a low enough range for low ESR caps.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

For the other meter can not say anything on the measurement of capacitors LOW ESR.
              I can say for my.
              I had it made in the case of the chinese tester SUNWA YX-360TRn.He has a very good and sensitive scale.
              Due to some changes in the scheme,aswell as careful selection of the transformer,it was possible to obtain the necessary stretching of the scale near 0.
              With other projects summary such accuracy has not been attained.
              Practice has shown that some known improved the ESR meter,you can define any ESR capacitors,including LOW ESR.
              Their opinions to anyone not want to force.
              Spoke only about his experiences.

Comment

If you can't tell the difference between .02 and .04 ohms it isn't good enough for motherboard caps.

0.04 is double 0.02.
                If the cap's ESR is supposed to be ~.020 and it's actual ESR is 0.04 the the cap is bad.
                You will never see it with that meter.

That kind of meter is okay for checking the ESR of general purpose [GP] caps found in other kinds of equipment but it's no good for Low ESR caps.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I've been using a CapAnalyzer 88a for more years than most folk have known what ESR meant - I use it professionally for mostly CRT & SMPS faults.
                  I also have a 'Blue' ESR meter for low value high voltage caps in CRTs.

The CapAnalyser is by a mile the easiest to use as it comes with tweezer probes, discharges caps, measures DCR and is adjustable.

Using an ESR meter is a black art - it's not pass/fail...you have to have an understanding of what the cap is doing and whether it's critical - sometimes the result is obvious...reads ESR open circuit/DCR nearly short circuit and capacitance is 1pf - that's rarely the case - often a cap will read as not good but not bad - if it's a SMPS starting cap 'not bad' might not be good enough.

I can whizz over a big board with the 88a purely because of the tweezers, I also own several Atlas analysers and they all work the same way - you have to press a button to start the analysis 'and' with the ESR meter you might need two hands to hold probes in place.

My 'blue' meter immediately had it's croc clips replaced with 4mm sockets so I can plug in whatever probe I need - I'm working on making my own tweezers for it as that's the fastest/easiest way to work on a board.

The Atlas can measure capacitance but offering that on an ESR meter to a novice is asking for trouble as it will (virtually) never provide a meaningful result - you always have to remove caps to measure them properly.

I've got all manner of test gear like ring testers & scopes but fix most stuff with an ESR meter & a multi-meter on diode test.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    If you can't tell the difference between .02 and .04 ohms it isn't good enough for motherboard caps.

0.04 is double 0.02.
                    If the cap's ESR is supposed to be ~.020 and it's actual ESR is 0.04 the the cap is bad.

That kind of meter is okay for checking the ESR of general purpose [GP] caps found in other kinds of equipment but it's no good for Low ESR caps.
                    I have one scale division near zero corresponds to 0,01 ohm.
                    So i can EASILY distinguish 0,02 from 0,04 ohms.
                    But as you think,this difference can see the analog ESR meters,such as this
                    http://www.creatronica.com.ar/capacheck.htm

Comment

Hello all
                      The actual core used is not critical,almost any ferrite core will do,and the small feedback transformers in computer power supplies or the output transformer from a cold cathode fluorescent lamp inverter would be ideal.
                      You can use ready-made transformers from computer power supples,TMC tr-rs from old TV sets.
                      The use of the ESR meter does not stop at testing capacitors though.
                      It can also be used to test for shorted junctions in semiconductors such as switching transistors in switch mode power supplies and cold cathode fluorescent inverters or failed diodes in a bridge rectifier or diode stack.Instances where a standard ohms meter and even a diode tester can give uncertain results.
                      It can also be used to some extent to test ferrite cored inductors and transformers for shorted turns.
                      In this case an open circuit is a good thing as it shows that the inductance of the test subject is large enough to be a significant impedance at the test frequency.

Comment

You can also use:
                        IC:
                        TL072
                        TLC272
                        LM4558
                        AD822
                        Voltage regulator:
                        LM2931
                        LP2950
                        To improve the sensitiviti and stretch the scale can use diodes:
                        1N5851
                        OA91
                        R5,R6:2-10ohm
                        M1(uA)-250uA
                        R8-18k
                        R11-15-20k

Comment

Originally posted by devid21 View Post
                          I have one scale division near zero corresponds to 0,01 ohm.
                          So i can EASILY distinguish 0,02 from 0,04 ohms.
                          But as you think,this difference can see the analog ESR meters,such as this
                          http://www.creatronica.com.ar/capacheck.htm
                          Not on the meter in that picture you can't.
                          You can't even see .1 reliably let alone .02

Not to mention that analog meters are not accurate in the upper and lower 1/4 of the deflection range.

If you want to work on motherboards then get the right tools.
                          That isn't one of them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Not on the meter in that picture you can't.
                            You can't even see .1 reliably let alone .02

Not to mention that analog meters are not accurate in the upper and lower 1/4 of the deflection range.

If you want to work on motherboards then get the right tools.
                            That isn't one of them.
                            Your device,i repaired including motherboard
                            ESR meter under this scheme have made hundreds of people around the wold.Only positive feedback.
                            With regard to my links,i just wanted to show how people are being deceived.
                            Cost of such devices:70-250$

Comment

Anyone that would choose one of those in the applications I'm referring to doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Positive feedback from people that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground doesn't carry any weight.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Anyone that would choose one of those in the applications I'm referring to doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Positive feedback from people that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground doesn't carry any weight.

Yes,of course,many working ass
                                And you know that many of the successful use measurement of ESR with a single LED

Comment

What I know is you don't know a thing about ESR meters.

~ Plain to see. ~

I only post so other readers don't take bad advice from an idiot.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! I needed one after trying to deal with an email from someone who complained that the ESR meter doesn't give a reading on a "Brown green yellow gold " and similar resistors (doesn't know what the colors mean).
                                    It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker View Post
                                      Thanks for giving me a good laugh! I needed one after trying to deal with an email from someone who complained that the ESR meter doesn't give a reading on a "Brown green yellow gold " and similar resistors (doesn't know what the colors mean).
                                      Hi Bob
                                      This is also proposing to throw away garbage?
                                      http://atecorp.com/Equipment/Sencore/LC75.asp

Comment

0.04 is double 0.02.

Rus Mike wrote:
                                        The criteria is about-more than 1000uF-ESR<0,1ohm,100-1000uF-0,2-0,5ohm is normal.

Comment

http://www.vabolis.lt/stuff/20090401a.gif

Comment

Working...
                                          X