Replacing Caps - Ripple Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Caps - Ripple Question

Hey guys, I have a monitor I'm looking to repair (see other thread) and I think from all the research I got it sorted out, but before I click to order, I had a question about 'ripple'...

If say I have a cap that's 820mA@100KHz and I want to replace it, all other specs like uf, voltage, physical size, etc is the same... but can't match 820mA exactly, is it better to get something higher? or lower?

Also... sometimes I see them listed @100KHz or @10KHz.

I know 1A - 1000mA

But if something is listed at 10KHz, is it one of those things where if you change 10KHz to 100KHz, you move the decimal over in the amps?

Like... 405mA@10KHz = 40.5mA@100KHz? something like that? or if what I have is rated @100KHz, just stick with specs listed @100KHz?
    Last edited by THRobinson; 06-01-2017, 09:44 AM.

Re: Replacing Caps - Ripple Question

higher ripple is best, because it's refering to ripple handling capability.

Comment

Thanks... so when matching/replacing old caps, if you can't find an exact match, you can always go higher on the Voltage rating and Ripple and be safe.

Thanks

Comment

aim for equal or higher voltage / capacitance / ripple and equal or lower esr

Comment

Thanks!

For ones where it's a coin toss, I've been going for the ones rated with the higher lifetime@temp rating. Also, filtered to only show Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon and United Chemi-Con... I think half of my cart are Nichicon and half Rubycon.

Actually, may be picking up a 2nd Samsung 204B this weekend for $10, with the slow power up issue. Been so long since soldered anything, and was never really very good, a backup would be good. Plus if fixed for another $10 worth of parts, sell it. Lot's of people using the 20" 4:3 screens for Arcade machine builds (like me) but hard to find, and harder to find working.

Prob is, gotta wait to see if rev0.0 or rev0.1 before ordering. Gettin' impatient... I want to try out my mad solder skillz... from 25yrs ago.

Comment

arcade collector? join the club.

Comment

Maybe... if it works.

Building a cabinet, fine tuning the design before I start cutting wood. Still stuck between using my RaspPi, or going way over budget and building a basic PC that will work better and play more, but again, cost more as well.

I definitely wanted a 4:3 monitor though, since pretty much everything between 1980-2000 was 4:3. Lots of 5:4 monitors, close but not what I was after. Outta no where a few Samsung 204B's showed up for sale, but all with the same issues.

The one I have already is a rev0.1 and at least 3 of the caps are a bit bulged on top. But... $10-15CAD for a monitor and another $10CAD to fix (I'm doing the large 100uf450v as well) I figure worth the attempt at least.

I wish I paid more attention as a kid though... my Dad knew all this stuff inside and out. I still have some of his equipment but no idea how to use it all.

Comment

Working...
              X