SHARP LC-70LE857U 2 - 5 blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SHARP LC-70LE857U 2 - 5 blinks

Turn opc control off. Go to standard mode and crank backlight all the way up. Then play around. You will be surprised at the pic quality you will get. of course probably never is good as a plasma but close second.

One thing I have found out about sharp panels is that they have a lot of white bleed viewing on the angles. It's just the way the panel is made. Now I have seen the sharp elite versions almost diminish this problem completely. So I think it has a lot to do with quality control.

On a side note with your TV I realize that you disconnected the left hand driver tabs. Others including myself have removed the right side. So this verifies that the panel will still operate with either side still cconnected
    Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-21-2015, 08:58 PM.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

After a week of continuous use - still displaying a beautiful picture. Have it wall mounted in family room - agree with Freakaftr8 that pic is close second after adjusting it. Although I like the OPC control on as my room light changes frequently.

Comment

Glad to hear it. Enjoy

Comment

I have the same3 sharp TV with 2-5 blinking pattern. Looking at the back, when I connect only the right most ribbon cable, I get two screens split in half, one dark and the other bright. When I connect each of the middle ribbons, one after the other, I receiver the 2-5 blinking pattern. When I connect only the left most ribbon, the screen is ok. Can onyone help

Comment

Originally posted by josieben2002 View Post
            I have the same3 sharp TV with 2-5 blinking pattern. Looking at the back, when I connect only the right most ribbon cable, I get two screens split in half, one dark and the other bright. When I connect each of the middle ribbons, one after the other, I receiver the 2-5 blinking pattern. When I connect only the left most ribbon, the screen is ok. Can onyone help
            What happens if you only have the two left side ribbon cables connected leaving at 2 right side ribbon cables disconnected out of the four total coming off to tcon board to the panel?

Comment

I have the same issue. What is the operation everyone is talking about? What do I cut and how? If I disconnect the link on the right side, looking at the back, that links the upper and lower buffer, tv turns on but picture on left side of screen is dark in areas and not displaying correctly

Comment

just an update = tv is still operating perfect as the day I repaired it.

Comment

another update - set is still working perfectly. hoping to find a bigger SHARP set now !

Comment

Hi there,

I have a TV with the same issue. I left the right side ribbon (as you are looking at the back of the set) disconnected and TV turns on with no issues. Picture is only on right side of screen and nothing on left side of screen.

My question for the group is, what do you mean by "I assuming I need to "cut" right side (from back of set) buffer ribbon cables off ??"?

Thanks all!

Comment

Strip the left side (dead no picture) side pulling the tabs from the panel with the driver boards still attached.

Comment

Originally posted by ajshoe View Post
                        Have a SHARP LC-70LE857U found on craigslist (free) - given the 2 long blinks - 5 fast blinks code. Spent some time reading all the blogs about this - dis-connecting T-CON cables (4) got the set running. With 3 T-CON ribbon cables in (pic 3) right side (from back of set) ribbon cable is out. right side of screen display is good (pic 1). reconnected 4 T-CON cables and disconnect right side ribbon cable (from back) going to side buffer tabs - have screen display but darker on left side (pic 4).

I assuming I need to "cut" right side (from back of set) buffer ribbon cables off ??
                        Appreciate the info. I think it has led me to looking into replacing the PS board before replacing the TV.

Comment

Hey All,

I just picked up one of these TV's (LC-70LE857U) last night that has the exact same issue ajshoe had. I took off the back and unplugged the right side T-CON ribbon cable and got the TV to power on. I plugged it back in and got a full picture before it started stuttering. I unplugged the ribbon cable to the right side buffer tabs and got the same full dark picture as ajshoe.

My question is, are the ribbon cables in the picture I attached the "buffer cables" that people are referring to? If so, can I just cut them with a razor knife from the board they are attached to or do I have to take the TV apart more and remove them directly from the panel?

This is my first TV repair and I just want to be absolutely certain before I start removing anything that I won't be able to reattach.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ajshoe View Post
                            Have a SHARP LC-70LE857U found on craigslist (free) - given the 2 long blinks - 5 fast blinks code. Spent some time reading all the blogs about this - dis-connecting T-CON cables (4) got the set running. With 3 T-CON ribbon cables in (pic 3) right side (from back of set) ribbon cable is out. right side of screen display is good (pic 1). reconnected 4 T-CON cables and disconnect right side ribbon cable (from back) going to side buffer tabs - have screen display but darker on left side (pic 4).

I assuming I need to "cut" right side (from back of set) buffer ribbon cables off ??
                            Can anybody tell me in more detail what needs to be done to correct this? I have the same problem but I am not able to decipher by this message what cables I am supposed to cut/remove. What are buffer ribbon cables? anyone help?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardpumps2147 View Post
                              Can anybody tell me in more detail what needs to be done to correct this? I have the same problem but I am not able to decipher by this message what cables I am supposed to cut/remove. What are buffer ribbon cables? anyone help?
                              To find out which side of the TV has the problem, in the middle when the back is off there are 4 White cables connected to the TCON (Timing Controller) disconnect one of the outside cables and turn the TV on. If you see half a picture you're in luck. If not reconnect that cable and try the out most cable on the other side.

When you have the back of the TV removed you will see 4 boards on the far edges of the screen connected together with a ribbon cable. On the problem side unsecure the boards (the long thin green boards with 2 ribbon cables each wrapping around to the screen). I laid the tv, screen down, on carpet and removed the metal bezel on the problem side. Then carefully flipped the TV over with help from someone. Once it is screen side up, slowly remove those ribbon cables that are glued directly on the screen. Then throw those boards away, they are no longer needed. This worked perfectly for my TV and i got 6 more months of use. BE SURE TO TURN THE TV OFF WHEN IT'S NOT IN USE DON'T RELY ON THE AUTO-SHUTOFF. I was used to the auto-shutoff when not in use and since the other LCD buffer picks up the rest of the load it killed my TV for good.
                              Last edited by LessQQ; 04-23-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LessQQ View Post
                                To find out which side of the TV has the problem, in the middle when the back is off there are 4 White cables connected to the TCON (Timing Controller) disconnect one of the outside cables and turn the TV on. If you see half a picture you're in luck. If not reconnect that cable and try the out most cable on the other side.

When you have the back of the TV removed you will see 4 boards on the far edges of the screen connected together with a ribbon cable. On the problem side unsecure the boards (the long thin green boards with 2 ribbon cables each wrapping around to the screen). I laid the tv, screen down, on carpet and removed the metal bezel on the problem side. Then carefully flipped the TV over with help from someone. Once it is screen side up, slowly remove those ribbon cables that are glued directly on the screen. Then throw those boards away, they are no longer needed. This worked perfectly for my TV and i got 6 more months of use. BE SURE TO TURN THE TV OFF WHEN IT'S NOT IN USE DON'T RELY ON THE AUTO-SHUTOFF. I was used to the auto-shutoff when not in use and since the other LCD buffer picks up the rest of the load it killed my TV for good.

Wow I am so glad that you responded so quickly. So here is what I have found out since I have been tinkering. I have been through the process of disconnecting different TCON cables. I get the closest result when I unplug just the left side ribbon cable in the first picture. The whole screen shows but flickers.

So should I cut the right side driver tabs?

EDIT: ignore the white tab on the left, one of the TCON cables wasn't fully connected so I am getting the flashing line now but a full picture with some weird distortion with a red bar.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Hardpumps2147; 04-23-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Just a correction, from looking at the back of the TV the RIGHT side ribbon cable is unplugged, which would be the LEFT if your are looking at the front of the TV.

As you can see in the third picture, I have a red bar on the LEFT side (from the front). So should I cut the RIGHT ribbon cable (from the back)?

Also, what screws do I have to take off to get the bezel off? All of them on the top and side? Will cutting the RIGHT side (from the back) resolve the flickering and red bar?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Comment

you should go back and redo your "testing" along with checking all the cables to ensure that they are properly connected when you do any of the "tests". If the cables are not set properly then your "test result" will likely not give you a proper result.

Further, you only need to do two test. Ensure all of the cables from the tcon to panel are correctly connected. At the bottom corner of the panel, the small ribbon cable interconnecting the bottom edge board to the side edge board is disconnected. Post a picture of the result with a full screen picture not just a menu. Then repeat the same test with the opposite cable (on the other corner of the panel) disconnected... again post a picture. Go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                      you should go back and redo your "testing" along with checking all the cables to ensure that they are properly connected when you do any of the "tests". If the cables are not set properly then your "test result" will likely not give you a proper result.

Further, you only need to do two test. Ensure all of the cables from the tcon to panel are correctly connected. At the bottom corner of the panel, the small ribbon cable interconnecting the bottom edge board to the side edge board is disconnected. Post a picture of the result with a full screen picture not just a menu. Then repeat the same test with the opposite cable (on the other corner of the panel) disconnected... again post a picture. Go from there.
                                      Okay I went back through and re seated all of the tcon cables. Currently I am getting this picture with the RIGHT ribbon(from the back) disconnected. I am getting somewhat of a full picture but you can see there is flickering and a red line at the top of the screen.

This is with the LEFT ribbon (from the back) disconnected. You can see there is a much better picture, but there is still a line across the top and the right side is darker than the left.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

ok.... interesting. :-) on the first picture, the display is worse because the "good side" was disconnected leaving the set to run on the "less than good side". In the second picture, the display is better because the "bad side" has been mostly disconnected while the set is running using the "better side". Although when these "tests" are done, normally, the set will not provide any picture on way and the other will be "good" with some darkness.... so it is a bit different.

It would be wise to take off the front bezel to get access to the side edge boards / tabs. Then, you can look at the tabs and gently touch them especially near the area of the horizontal linings. You might see / feel a tab getting warmer that others. This is might confirm the issue better.... but it looking like the side disconnected in the second picture is the "bad side". Since you need to access the tabs anyway to go further with the "save", I would still do as suggested to get confirmation before going too far as the removal process is NOT reversible.

One more question... this thread /post is about a 2-5 error code which you don't appear to mention... are you seeing this code?
                                        Last edited by budwich; 04-24-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                          ok.... interesting. :-) on the first picture, the display is worse because the "good side" was disconnected leaving the set to run on the "less than good side". In the second picture, the display is better because the "bad side" has been mostly disconnected while the set is running using the "better side". Although when these "tests" are done, normally, the set will not provide any picture on way and the other will be "good" with some darkness.... so it is a bit different.

It would be wise to take off the front bezel to get access to the side edge boards / tabs. Then, you can look at the tabs and gently touch them especially near the area of the horizontal linings. You might see / feel a tab getting warmer that others. This is might confirm the issue better.... but it looking like the side disconnected in the second picture is the "bad side". Since you need to access the tabs anyway to go further with the "save", I would still do as suggested to get confirmation before going too far as the removal process is NOT reversible.

One more question... this thread /post is about a 2-5 error code which you don't appear to mention... are you seeing this code?

Okay, so to take the bezel off I have to remove the screws around the entire border?

I will start that process right now, there were so many dam screws I wasn't sure. I seen people in other videos just have the side off and not the top. For example in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiXhb_jGJKE&t=10s

To address the second question, I am getting the 2-5 error code. I bought a new power supply board and that didn't fix it. I still get the 2-5 error code when I plug all TCON cables in along with the side ribbon cables.

Comment

Working...
                                          X