Intel Bay Trail BGA SoC Upgrade Confirmed - ASUS X553MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Bay Trail BGA SoC Upgrade Confirmed - ASUS X553MA

I had this board off a laptop that i bought and parted out. The board worked but all the USB ports were dead (including the built-in webcam). Measurements showed it had a short on the data lines, which go straight into the CPU/SoC.

The USB 3.0 port worked though, but only with a 3.0 device. This board sat for a while. Then, out of the blue, someone asked if the board is working because he wanted to buy it. I told him that it is currently not working but I can repair it and we agreed on a price. Now, I had bought a few BGAs of this kind of different models. I had two N2830 (SR1W4) which I had already used to repair other boards, then I had two N2940 (SR1YV) and one N3540 (SR1YW). All of these chips I bought directly from SEE-IC.

I have been wondering whether these boards can be upgraded to a more powerful SoC without changing anything else, since all of them look the same. And since I was out of N2830 chips anyway, this was a good reason to try it.

So I took off the original SoC out with the damaged USB controller and soldered in a N2940 SR1YV. It powered on first go and all ports worked. Victory!

The only problem I faced was a delayed POST, I had to clean the TXE Region (like ME Region, it is just called TXE on this platform). You have Clean TXE BIOS attached.

Mod Edit: Bios moved - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1216005
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-04-2023, 11:08 AM. Reason: Bios moved
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Intel Bay Trail BGA SoC Upgrade Confirmed - ASUS X553MA

great work and very skilled repair - upgrade the unique :p

i got a question. i have a similar board that need to be fixed, but dunno why ome of the pads on pcb is not bright and shining as it has lost the pad on it, but if i look closer, its like the pad got oxidated, and if i look on ur fist picture, its like also on your board some pad is more visible then others. it has to do with solder completely removed and pad is darker or some flux problem or what ?

got some other board like macbook and other that have some pcb bga pad darker that looks like oxidated, and if i apply flux and try to put some solder , solder wont melt easly on them, but i need to like scratch them to get solder soldered properly.

any suggestion on that problem ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Those pads are still there, they have just lost all the solder on them. Scratch lightly with tweezers and add a tiny bit of solder, they will be fine. That usually happens if you lift the old chip at too low a temperature.

I got a confirmation from the guy I sold the board to btw, everything works perfectly. He may be sending me his old board soon.
      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-10-2018, 02:53 AM.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Awesome work, great to hear it.
        I wonder if larger package like SR1EF can downgrade to same package pentium ones
        Last edited by tomodachi; 09-10-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

That's great. You did a great job.

Comment

Working...
          X