Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Westinghouse 19" monitor issue

Originally posted by BucsMAN3K

Also, just curious, why do I not need to replace the 400v? It doesn't seem bad but is there less of a chance it will go bad compared to the others?
    The low voltage caps in the power supply and inverter fail because they are subjected to very high frequency transients, which the must absorb. As they age the ESR rises. As a resukt they heat up, which accelerates the aging process.

The large 450 V cap is filtering a 160 - 320 volt DC voltage pulsing at 120 Hz. It doesn't have to absorb any transients, so they last much longer.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Just as an FYI. the caps can be in there really tight and before you solder, you should measure and make sure the shielding will fit back over. I had to re-solder the largest cap because I didn't check up front. Live and learn.
      Joe
      Tinkerer, disassembler, and at times, fixer and reassembler.
      I always have parts left over. I consider this my optimization of flawed designs.
      You can check me out at my Affinity Properties site.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXjoe
        Just as an FYI. the caps can be in there really tight and before you solder, you should measure and make sure the shielding will fit back over. I had to re-solder the largest cap because I didn't check up front. Live and learn.
        Joe
        Will do, thanks.

Comment

Just wanted to say it was a happy ending. Replaced the caps with the ones I linked from Digikey and it's all working fine.

This is the first time I've done something like this so it was a good learning experience. I hope to save more electronics from the trash in the future.

Comment

You just saved money on a reparation or a new unit, space on the landfill, and learned something new. What else can you ask for?
            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
            • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
            • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
            • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
            • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050
              2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I just wanted to give a thumbs up to everyone on this list! I had the same problem with a Westinghouse 19" TV. I replaced the caps as noted and it is working perfect now!

Comment

Hello... new to the forum, awesome advice here. I have been researching this topic for a long time now because I own two of these SK-19H210S Westinghouse monitors and they have been giving me problems for almost a year. I have yet to do the repair because they will turn on sometimes, and once on I never turn them off unless I have to, but I can't seem to have them both work at the same time. I am tired of this though. I am going to replace the caps this week but I have a question for the experts... On another site they said replace the 2200 10v cap with a 16v one... But are the Panasonic 10v caps just that much better than the CapXon ones? They will last? Don't need to put a 16v one in there? Thanks, Jared

Comment

Another quick question... I know you guys would say do them all. But I've read all over the web that the only problem one is the 2200, and some of the other caps are backordered through January at Digikey. Should I wait?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyllie666
                    Hello... new to the forum, awesome advice here. I have been researching this topic for a long time now because I own two of these SK-19H210S Westinghouse monitors and they have been giving me problems for almost a year. I have yet to do the repair because they will turn on sometimes, and once on I never turn them off unless I have to, but I can't seem to have them both work at the same time. I am tired of this though. I am going to replace the caps this week but I have a question for the experts... On another site they said replace the 2200 10v cap with a 16v one... But are the Panasonic 10v caps just that much better than the CapXon ones? They will last? Don't need to put a 16v one in there? Thanks, Jared
                    The problem with the Capxon was not the voltage rating, but it's ability to handle current transients. The theory is by going with a higher voltage cap you will have a slightly lower ESR and more surface area to dissipate the heat. The downsides are they require more space, they cost more, and the poor design of the Capxon's caused the overheating in the first place.

The Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon and other caps on the good caps list just plain are so much better than the CapXons trying to get an additional edge by going with a higher voltage cap isn't worth it.

Another quick question... I know you guys would say do them all. But I've read all over the web that the only problem one is the 2200, and some of the other caps are backordered through January at Digikey. Should I wait?
                    What brand were you going to use? I just checked Digikey's site for availability of Panasonic FM and FC. The only cap that had an availability problem in FM are the 2200 µf 10 V (only 2 available) and the 47µf 50V. Plenty of FC series available for all values.

As far as replacing only the ones that look bad, it's your decision. The total order to completely rebuild both monitors will cost $15-$20 delivered. Replacing only the 2200 µf caps will cost $5. Are you willing to tear the monitor apart again in another year to replace some other cap that failed?

Again, you are NOT dealing with a particular lot of caps that were defective, you are dealing with a manufacturer that produces inferior components.

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! Was not planning on using anything yet, just gearing up for it.

As I suspected... CapXon is the problem, not the voltage. Many people on the web suggested the 16v over the 10v without acknowledging a manufacturer. I would feel better with the Panasonics with the right specs. At DigiKey the 1000uf 25v FC is out of stock.

Like I said... Been researching these SK-19H210S monitors for a while. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people having the same problems. All associated with the 2200uf 10v CapXon cap on psu, board location CE105. Most people have replaced only that cap. I understand what you are suggesting... open the monitor once for sure, or MAYBE have to open it again in the future. My call I guess.

Comment

PlainBill... I see you live in Phoenix as well. Do you think Capital Electric at 73rd Ave and Roosevelt would stock them?

Comment

PlainBill... I see you live in Phoenix as well. Do you think Capital Electric at 73rd Ave and Roosevelt would stock them?
                          I just checked the Digikey web site and they show the 1000 uF, 25 V Panasonic is in stock in both FC and FM series. If they don't have the value in the size you need, Willawake has a list of good caps here. There is nothing magical about Panasonic, some people insist they aren't the best, but most of the caps on that list will be better than the originals.

I doubt if Capital Electric will have them - they appear to be a distributor of commercial and residential wiring products, not electronic components.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok... a local TV repair shop said they would do the repair for $100... pshaw. Said they would get, or I could get parts from Capital Electric. Will just order from DigiKey.

Comment

I had just used the links on the first page of this thread... the link for the 1000uf 25v cap was for a long, 30mm unit... out of stock, and wrong anyway, nothing over 20mm will fit. Should use P10278-ND

Comment

So I take it the NTE caps at Frys suck?

Comment

So I take it the NTE caps at Frys suck?
                                  'Blow' might be more appropriate. Most are of an adequate quality. If the have a capacitor of an appropriate value, voltage, temperature rating, and ESR rating, it would be fine. The problem is you could easily have to spend half an hour pawing through piles of caps only to discover the one you needed is $5.00. Or discover the appropriate peg within 2 minutes, but there are none available.

There are worse things than buying caps from Frys Electronics. Bamboo splints under the fingernails, root canal surgery, discovering your blind date resembles Hulk Hogan are examples.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                    There are worse things than buying caps from Frys Electronics. Bamboo splints under the fingernails, root canal surgery, discovering your blind date resembles Hulk Hogan are examples.

PlainBill
                                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                                    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                                    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                                    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                    • GeForce GT1050
                                      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Ok... new problem. Like I said, sometimes the monitors work even though they have bad caps. But now one of them has color issues... everything has a pink tint to it. Could this in any way be related to the bad caps on the power supply? Or is it a new unrelated problem with a monitor that should just be thrown out?

Comment

If I am going to be in the market for new monitors, which brands are known to use bad caps? Like Westinghouse... will never buy another, would never recommend.

Comment

Ok... new problem. Like I said, sometimes the monitors work even though they have bad caps. But now one of them has color issues... everything has a pink tint to it. Could this in any way be related to the bad caps on the power supply? Or is it a new unrelated problem with a monitor that should just be thrown out?
                                          Unless the tint is mis-adjusted, the pink tint is an indication of a CCFL that's at the end of it's life. Don't toss it - either keep it around for parts or pass it off to someone else through Craigslist.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X