Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel to kill CPU upgrade options from 2013, BGA only CPUs

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
    A friend has an intel i5 processor in his laptop, and its like using windows 95 on a pentium with only 256Mb of memory :P
    So it runs pretty well then?

Windows 95 don't need much...
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

If that computer runs poorly, it probably still has the preinstalled bloatware, "speed up your computer" software, and automatic driver updating software installed on it.

Comment

Another thing is that if the CPU fails, now you'll have to send the whole motherboard back. And in the past, if you found two board+CPU combinations - one with a bad CPU and good board, and one with a bad board and good CPU - you could pair the good parts to get a working system (assuming they were compatible, of course). You won't be able to do that anymore. More out-of-warranty hardware being disposed of.

Comment

Seems it was a false alarm and common sense prevails.

Intel: We're Still Committed To Sockets

Intel Says Company Committed to Sockets

Intel committed to socketed CPUs "for the foreseeable future"

Comment

Perhaps... But then:

Intel spokesman Daniel Snyder told Maximum PC. "However, Intel cannot comment on specific long-term product roadmap plans at this time,"
            Maybe they're just going to hold off for now...
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Well as I understood it the high performance boards would remain socketed (Think LGA2011)

But that the lower end sockets would go in favor of BGA, Intel did not really confirm nor deny this.
              AMD was quick to say they are committed to socketed CPU's though

http://www.techspot.com/news/50999-a...able-cpus.html
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 12-09-2012, 04:10 AM.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

just how many cpu's actually fail?damm few.and the ones i have seen bad were killed by a vrm problem or got pins broken.
                sockets have many disadvantages.
                i am surprised it took this long to remove this weak link.
                bad caps not as common now?bga cpu replacement service here i come!
                and the firmware based product designation will get hacked fast.sorta like knowing which celerons were best to overclock in dualie boards.
                its a new opportunity.

Comment

I know how it works, but you never know when they'll produce a bad batch of CPUs (which has happened) and that's certainly a bigger problem when they're soldered directly to the board.

And the next time that happens, it probably won't just be Intel's reputation at stake.

EDIT: I strongly believe you should make the most of what you have, so IMO CPUs should be sold based on what they're capable of, rather than being deliberately limited for the manufacturer's sake.
                  Last edited by Shocker; 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    ... AMD is shit ...

Comment

^ another thing to add, an electrical engineer friend of mine has gotten free AMD CPUs, directly from AMD, to design a server. He says they are the fastest CPUs he has ever seen. Though, I can't say any more about it.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                      X