Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC-70LE757U Flashing 2-5 :-( can it be saved economically?

there are many similar threads about this type of problem. Anyways, your last picture shows the side tabs that are in the set. So far, it appears that your set hasn't reached the "erroring state" which happens when the system detects that the panel maybe drawing more current that expected... but as you are seeing horizontal lines, it is quite likely that the set will head in that direction (error) eventually.

You can check things out a bit further... with the set on, gently touch / feel the tabs on the side for differences in heat. Bad ones will be hotter than the others. Once, you find that, this is indicates that side is potentially bad.

It is possible that you don't have a heating problem but the bond to the panel has a contact issue. IF so, you might try light pressing on the bond at / near the edge of the panel with an eraser ( or equivalent) and see if it reacts / changes the lines. Potentially if you are lucky you may be able to come up with a "pressure pad" that might get rid of the lines. This is likely temporary but I have read about some sets whereby people have run for a long time in this mode.

Ultimately, based on the pictures, it appears you have a side tab issue similar to what happened to start this thread.
    Last edited by budwich; 09-24-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

thanks so much, Bud! I will test out these remedies tomorrow and report back.

Comment

Well Bud, clearly I'm not a TV repair Tech.

I have the tv on for an hour now felt around the edges and didn't feel anything specifically hotter/warmer than anything else.

1- Do I need to remove the front bezel to do this testing?
        2- I'm still not clear what exactly a "pad" is. Where would you be probing with a pencil eraser to see if panel contact is the problem?
        3- How does this ribbon unplug? Feels super fragile.

Thanks again for your help!
        Attached Files

Comment

good for the picture... sooo...
          the tabs in question are on the side under the bezel. What you are showing is the "edge board side... the tab goes from the edge board around and to the front. You won't likely feel any difference on the panel itself as that is not where the problem can be.

Further, its been a while but I think the corner cable is just like those on the tcon... there is a plastic clamping piece that pops up to release the underlying cable.... and yes be careful with all the cabling.

Comment

Just got a free TV of the same variety. Left most connector from the T-Con produces 1/2 image. Unplugging the left side edge connector board gives "decent" image that's half dark just as yours was.

The only difference is sometimes I don't get the 2-5 code, it just sits with the power light on and panel turned off. Is there something I should try before I rip the edge connectors off?

My friend has a butt-load of these and 80s too so I will definitely pass on the trick!

Comment

i guess the error code may not happen.... may it depends on how bad the fault is.... do you see any horizontal lines in the picture? if you check the side tabs for heating difference, that might help confirm things. your test to get the display happening most likely confirm which side the problem is on.

Comment

No horizontal lines. Vertical lines when the 4th cable but not 3rd is unplugged. All are "free" as in seemingly not stuck to the plastic like yours. I will have to take the bezel off to check for scorch marks. Maybe they're not shorted, just bad. I notice the bottom corner is the darkest.

Do I really have to peel the entire flex cable off or can I just cut it flat with the edge of the display. This thread didn't make that clear. As long as you get past the actual IC I don't get what the flex connector can do besides act like a resistor.

Left side tabs unplugged it looks like this.
                Attached Files

Comment

you actually can't see the tabs totally until you remove the bezel and then the tabs are removed like pulling up on a piece of tape. As for you questio, potentially leaving parts behind may cause an issue depending on what the problem is.

Comment

I found the offender. These strips do peel off like tape without much effort.

What I did wrong was unscrewing the entire bezel. Next time I would only remove the L shaped pieces and the screws in the black strip on the afflicted side. Wasn't aware the frame broke into 4 because I could have done this screen down on pretty much anything.

TV works now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

ther ya go!... another one saved from the recycle bin.

Comment

Fyi, ripped off the little tabs on the left side of my newer Sharp 70" with a horizontal line... All fixed!! These are free floating little cof's hanging off the screen.

Thanks guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by BoardHoarder View Post
                          So happy that I stumbled across this thread and would love to save an LC70UD27U 4K set that has the 2-5 blink code. I am able to get an image on screen if I unplug one of the 4 ribbons from the t con so I know which side is affected. Has anyone tried the tab removal on a 4K set yet?
                          I finally had a chance to dig this set back out from my stash and try to get the bezel off of the edge. There is an aluminum bezel in 2 pieces, one piece on the bottom that covers the driver boards and LCD panel ribbons and one piece that wraps around the left, top and right edge. This reveals only panel tabs on the bottom of the panel and nothing on the top or sides like a conventional panel. 4 ribbons from the TCON to the driver boards and half of the set will run with full color with ribbon #3 from the left disconnected. This makes the set run but with an all white image on the disconnected side and having ribbon #4 connected or disconnected makes no difference.
                          Attached Files

Comment

the side tabs are only visible from the front on sets that don't have side edge boards. You need to remove the front bezel.
                            further, post a picture of the display that you indicate that you get with one of the tcon to panel cables disconnected... perhaps this model operates differently.
                            Last edited by budwich; 10-10-2018, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I was finally able to spend some time with this again and got the final bezel off. I do indeed have 8 tabs bonded to the edge of the panel. Here are the pics....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ripped off all 8 tabs from the left edge and now have a dark spot

Comment

Sorry, pic didn't make it....
                                  Attached Files

Comment

:-( not sure why that is happening. Check the tab areas on the panel to ensure that there is no "left overs" hanging around. It is possible that depending on what the "original" failure was that is had an adverse affect on the opposite side. Its hard to tell from what you posted whether the situation existed before.

maybe a difference in the 4k design. One other "tests" when there are no edge boards, is to isolate a side by disconnecting the interconnecting flex ribbon going between the bottom edge boards. These are unclampable like the tcon to panel cables. Anyway, this provides a method to isolate the side and provide a better view of the screen as hopefully more is displayed. Further, one should input a known test pattern (things like smpte color bars) which tend to highlight display issues easier than a "random video input".

Further on this. It is potentially likely that your set didn't have a side tab issue... maybe... :-( As I indicated, above, other tests would display "better" than the "disconnect the tcon to panel cable" which is somewhat "gross" as it isolates the entire half of the panel INCLUDING the bottom edge boards on the disconnected side. After thinking on this more, I am thinking that the bottom edge board, middle / side might have a component issue (smd resistor or capacitor) which is hampering that section of the panel. Full "failure" would have left a total vertical black area while something in between might cause what you are seeing. Just a guess though.
                                    Last edited by budwich; 11-08-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

This is not my main TV and I paid nothing for it as I work for a custom install company and have saved many sets from the trash heap and given many TVs away to family members that were recaps/simple fixes. Ripping that tabs off did allow me to connect all 4 ribbons and get a full picture without the shutdown error and I didn't notice the dark spot until then. The spot is most noticeable when there is dark or high contrast material in that area of the screen. Pure white shows up as grey and bright colors show up as a darker shade of the same color. It may still help out someone as a garage TV or an outdoor TV since it's still a 70”. Thanks for all the advice and guidance Budwich!

Comment

Hey guys, new here...I recently acquired a Sharp LC70-C7500U and I'm getting the 25 flash error. Sometimes the TV will turn back on, but most of the time it will not.

I did pop the cover off the back and looking for any obvious signs of damage(capacitors, burn marks, arcing, etc etc) but nothing that I've seen looks damaged. I'm reading through these post and trying to follow what you guys are doing to check for problems, but kinda hard to follow. I hate to send this to to the scrapyard...

Comment

Just now, I pulled one of the ribbon cables from the TCON board, turned TV on....and it worked, with some funny lines. So I shut it down and reconnected that ribbon cable, TV appears back to normal.

Could this problem be considered solved or is it a bandaid fix?

Comment

Working...
                                          X