MSI Master2-FAR7 (MS9617) multiple problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Master2-FAR7 (MS9617) multiple problems

Hi. I just found this site a few days ago.

My system has had multiple problems since I got 2 of these motherboards secondhand some years ago. I have always thought they were just crappy BIOS related problems. I do not overclock the CPUs. I have tested very briefly but it eventually bluescreens. However, I have enabled Catalyst Overdrive for the video card and have had a tremendous amount of success with it. It is extremely important to note that the problems experienced occur regardless of Overdrive being enabled or not, and I have not been able to prove any direct link between Overdrive and any stability problems.

I am posting here for help determining if it is all likely NOT cap related, otherwise I will be sending it off to the badcaps workshop.

Here is the MSI (manufacturer) web page for the board:
    link: MSI K8T Master2-FAR7 (MS9617)

First, here are the system specs:
    • Latest BIOS at 1.2
    • New CMOS battery
    • MSI K8T800 Pro Master2-FAR7 (MS9617)
    • 2 x AMD Opteron 290 @ 2.8GHz
    • 2 x Thermalright Venomous X-RT SB-E
    • 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
    • 2 x Infineon 1GB HYS72D128320GBR-6-B (ECC disabled)
    • HIS Radeon HD 3850 512MB @ 720/950MHz
    • Arctic Accelero Xtreme III
    • Creative X-Fi Elite Pro w/ console
    • 2 x WD RaptorX 150GB (RAID 0 onboard)
    • Seagate 60GB PATA backup drive (second channel)
    • FSP Aurum CM Gold 750W
    • Samsung SH-B123A BD-R/multi (via the SiI3214 controller)
    • Antec 1200v3
    • Corsair Dominator Airflow RAM cooler
    • Silicon Image SiI3124 SATA controller

Here are some photos of the caps. It's not all of them, just to show most of the different ones used. I didn't take the tiny surface mounted ones. I think the fat yellow ones might look a bit questionable, but all the rest have very flat tops and no stains on the board. So there aren't any obvious visual signs, unless those yellow ones are clearly bad (?).
    From what I've briefly read, those KZGs are very troublesome, correct?

Both boards share a lot of the symptoms, however #2 is clearly worse than #1 in terms of crashing. #1 only had infrequent random hard crashes, or reproducibly with 48hours after mains power loss. #2 experiences reproducible hard crashes whenever certain tasks are performed.
    What I mean by "hard crash" is the system is performing normally with no prodromes of a crash, then it's as if the power cord is suddenly unplugged and the system cannot be powered on until the CMOS is cleared. Hard crashes are the same for both boards. Generally the system will be pretty stable against the "infrequent" crashes once the CMOS has been cleared and BIOS reset.

Here is a list of symptoms board #1:
    • No USB standby power
    • No ethernet standby activity
    • No residual standby power - unplugging from mains then immediately powering on results in no brief spin up
    • Changing some BIOS settings results in system date loss (I think enabling the SATA controller - possible BIOS bug?)
    • Booting with any disc in the BD drive results in the drive option being corrupted in BIOS. It shows up as blank or as unrecognisable chars in the BIOS device list (possible BIOS bug?)
    • System date loss after extended power loss (either minutes or hours?)
    • Hard crash within 48hrs after power loss
    • Infrequent random hard crash
    • Cannot load Windows with more than 1GB RAM in each channel (reset/bluescreen)
    • Any hard crash requires clearing CMOS before system will power on again

Here is a list of symptoms board #2:
    • No USB standby power
    • No ethernet standby activity AFTER a hard crash
    • No residual standby power - unplugging from mains then immediately powering on results in no brief spin up
    • Changing some BIOS settings results in system date loss (I think enabling the SATA controller - possible BIOS bug?)
    • Booting with any disc in the BD drive results in the drive option being corrupted in BIOS. It shows up as blank or as unrecognisable chars in the BIOS device list (possible BIOS bug?)
    • Cannot load Windows with more than 1GB RAM in each channel (reset/bluescreen)
    • Any hard crash requires clearing CMOS before system will power on again
    • Hard crash when performing particular tasks (REPRODUCABLE!) - Eg. Installing Tribes Ascend via steam, loading specific websites (not pr0n), applying a specific photoshop filter, I noticed once when doing Windows update with heavy RAID activity, I remember a total of 2 times during Windows update
    • Infrequent random hard crash
    • Keyboard dropouts - keys stop responding in counter strike global offensive. Does not happen in Doom 2 (zDoom)

I hope I haven't forgotten much.
    Like I said before, if it's obviously NOT a cap problem then I won't be sending it to the badcaps workshop.

Regards
    Last edited by Hadakajime; 07-15-2013, 08:42 PM.

Re: MSI Master2-FAR7 (MS9617) multiple problems

The pictures are tiny for some reason
    Do you have an ESR meter? Sometimes caps go bad without bulging.
    And yes, KZG are defective, and so are KZE.
    Keyboard dropouts- software issue probably
    Last edited by DJduck; 07-16-2013, 01:34 AM.
    I can put text here?!

Comment

Oops sorry about the pics, I thought they would link through to flickr. I'll try fixing that now..
      The only measuring tool i have on hand is an old multimeter that needs a new battery.

An interesting note on the dropped keys is I don't remember it occurring with board #1
      Last edited by Hadakajime; 07-16-2013, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Sorry about the delay, turns out it was too difficult to compile this post on my iphone during the bus ride home.
        Here are the photos a little larger, with links to flickr if you want to see them in full resolution. Sorry the thumbnails are a little large..

IMG_3078

IMG_3079

IMG_3080

IMG_3081

IMG_3082

IMG_3083

IMG_3084

IMG_3085

IMG_3086

IMG_3091

IMG_3087

IMG_3089

IMG_3090

Comment

with the exception of the KZG's in IMG_3089, they're all good caps. I actually have this exact same motherboard /w 2 opteron 240's, still in working order

still not sure if its the caps though, have you tried a different video card? PSU? Taking everything out but the bare minimum and seeing if it works from there?

"System date loss after extended power loss"...
          replace the CMOS battery?
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Is this a single VRM for both CPU-s (all FPCAP in parallel) ?
            Nice fun ahead...

Comment

Uranium-235, I'd be very interested if you could compare your experiences of this board with mine.
              Do you get any standby USB power?
              When you disconnect the mains in standby, is there still enough charge to briefly spin up?
              When changing BIOS settings like enabling SATA, does the system date ever get reset?
              Can you run with more than 1GB RAM in each channel?
              Have you ever had a crash where you have to clear the CMOS before it will power on at all? (Doesn't even display ethernet activity in standby, even after disconnecting mains, waiting then reconnecting)
              Thanks

I have already replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, and it didn't solve any problems.
              My original PSU was a cheap Aywun Megawatts 550W. Changing to the current FSP Aurum CM Gold 750W didn't solve any problems.
              I have also tried with an HD 4670 1GB AGP video card but it still exhibited things like no standby power, etc. I didn't run with that very long and still managed to get a crash funnily.
              I also have an old old AGP card that I use for testing. Same deal as with the 4670 minus the crash because I never boot into windows with it.
              What I mean by not solving any problems is that there is not change from the list of symptoms in my original post.
              I could try stripping it down again and doing some testing.

Here is a pic of the entire board:

IMG_1983
              Last edited by Hadakajime; 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

A little update, I've submitted an order for an ESR-micro v4.0
                I figure it may help diagnose other problems in the future.
                However, if there's any insight that helps determine it's more likely a cap problem before it arrives (probably a while!), then I won't be waiting for it and I'll just send it off to the workshop.

A dilemma I have with testing right now is I don't have a free PSU. (board #1 is not currently in use and is the better of the 2, I think, so I would rather have that one diagnosed/fixed first).
                Believe me when I say it's an effort and a half swapping these boards or accessing the deployed PSU cables
                It's definitely worthwhile for me having a testing PSU for things like this, so I may go buy a budget one tomorrow.

Comment

Measure the 5v standby voltage on the original, cheapo PSU. It doesn't need to be plugged in to the motherboard. If it is over 5v, then I think it is safe to say that the PSU has killed the motherboard.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Killed the motherboard in what sense?
                    I ask because despite their problems, both boards can still boot into win7 and play games like counter strike global offence, or play movies, or handle tasks like simple photoshopping..

Comment

My original PSU was a cheap Aywun Megawatts 550W
                      this one (1)
                      http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=100

or this one (2)
                      http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=140

Two Opteron 290 @ 2.8GHz, each 95 W, gives 190W, what is 15,8 A, that's probably too much for FSP and for (1), if your PSU is (2) than focus should be on mobo...

Please confirm PSU model...

Comment

Sorry for late reply, I've been sick.

I check my parts invoice and the old aywun PSU was actually:
                        http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=101

Another symptom I forgot to mention is I get some screen text corruption when web browsing - regularly in gmail but sometimes in other tabs too.
                        It looks like the text suddenly get incorrect anti-aliasing or it looks like ClearType has been set very incorrectly. Highlighting the text fixes the problem but it can come back very quickly.
                        I would definitely consider sending the video card in to the workshop with the motherboard if that's appropriate.

I was reading about PSU rails here:
                        http://www.overclock.net/t/761202/si...rail-explained
                        http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

Plus I found a review of the FSP here:
                        http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/F...CM_750W/2.html

With the power specification described in the review, shouldn't the FSP's 12v rails provide adequate amperage?

For quick reference:

FSP AU-750M Power Specs
                        12V1 18A
                        12V2 18A
                        12V3 18A
                        12V4 18A

Power Distribution
                        12V1 ATX, SATA, Peripheral
                        12V2 8 pin EPS, 4+4 pin EPS
                        12V3 PCIe1, PCIe2
                        12V4 PCIe3, PCIe4

Comment

Yeah, 18 Amps is enough, but CPU-vrm on this MOBO is POS, as on all mobo's which have more than ONE distinct group of capacitors for VRM-out. They draw more Amps than needed...

Long story short: on that mobo some caps are cooked, and for that CPU-vrm is to blame (probably in combination with not so good PSU, second hand mobo). Maybe, it's time to start changing poly caps :-)) (this, on mobo, are not so 'hi-tech' for this 190W consumer)...

Probably time for new system, some savings on electricity bill are in sight :-))...

Before deciding what to do, usual checks:
                          - +5Vstdby (as suggested before)
                          - +5V rail (any consumer there, and how much it draws, possibility of quick, and cheap, fix )...

Note:
                          650W PSU is very popular :-))... Don't know why... 30 Amps on +5V is still popular - don't know why... :-))

Comment

On this forum,I've seen, some info about changing Vrm-input caps (vaguely remembering PCBONE or K8CADU), hopefully, one of experienced guys in modding (I think it's called modding, when changing caps with very different types/specs )...

As for sending/not sending, probably best thing is to ask through business channel of Badcaps.net (what they do/what they will do with your mobo/what they promise/ how much it costs...)

Sorry for second post...

Comment

...hopefully, one of experienced guys in modding (I think it's called modding, when changing caps with very different types/specs ), will chime in...

Comment

Originally posted by DJduck
                                And yes, KZG are defective, and so are KZE.
                                No, not quite.
                                Only KZG and KZJ are know to be problematic. KZE, on the other hand, are excellent!

That said, it may be worthwhile to change those KZG caps. However, I would suggest trying a few other things first...

#1: try some known good RAM from another computer and try like the bare minimum (i.e. try booting with only a single 256 MB or 512 MB module - though I don't think that would be possible with Windows 7... may need to try Windows XP on another hard drive). Also try down-clocking the RAM.

#2: try booting with only 1 CPU. If you still get the same problems, swap the CPU with the other one.

The problem may also be BGA-related with one or both of the CPU sockets, but I somehow doubt that's the case since you have 2 motherboards experiencing very similar problems.

I'd say, try suggestions #1 and 2 above, and if they don't resolve anything, then send the motherboard(s) for repair to change the those KZG caps.

Comment

Hi again

ESRMicro4.0 just arrived today, and I also bought a nice new multimeter. Haven't had a chance to make a trip to the computer store for a testing PSU, but at least I'll be able to do some tests on the caps now.

When I was testing parts a long time ago, I tried at least 5 different makes of RAM.

Also, I submitted a repair quote request a few weeks ago but I haven't heard back..

Comment

Hi

I calibrated my ERSMicro4.0s and measured the caps all around the board.

Let me know what you think, especially if they seem incorrect - maybe I need to calibrate again and redo them.

Original PSD map of the board available here (23MB):
                                    Download: "Capacitor_ratings.psd"

Here is a JPEG:

Here is the original photo:

Comment

Here is a reference list of the measured ESR ratings against each type of cap

Let me know what you think, especially if they seem incorrect - maybe I need to calibrate again and redo them.

16V 1000uf:
                                      • 0.04 (Rubycon MBZ)

16v 330uf:

16v 100uf:

16v 47uf (surface mount):

16v 10uf (surface mount):
                                      • 0.06 (calibration error?)

10v 470uf:

6.3v 1500uf:
                                      • 0.04 (Rubycon)

6.3v 1000uf:
                                      • 0.10 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.09 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.08 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.07 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.07 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.06 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.05 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.05 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.04 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.04 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.04 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.03 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.03 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.03 (KZG)
                                      • 0.03 (KZG)
                                      • 0.02 (KZG)
                                      • 0.02 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.02 (FJZ)
                                      • 0.01 (FJZ)

4v 820uf:

4v 560uf:
                                      • 0.01 (OSCON)
                                      Last edited by Hadakajime; 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Forgot to mention that these readings are for board #1 only, which was pretty stable compared to board #2

Comment

Working...
                                        X