Inspiron N5050 shorts out adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspiron N5050 shorts out adapter

Have an Inspiron N5050 that shorts out my digital readout adapter when plugged in, adapter comes back to life when unplugged. I have measured the adapter side input fets PU3801 and PU4002 off the board in diode mode and they both measure voltage in one direction, open in the other. On the board, 3801 measures the same way but 4002 shows voltage in both directions. So it's something between the 2 fets, right? Would a blown cap (3803, 3804, 3805, or 3806) on the drain side of 3801 or something on the drain side of 4002 (PQ4002? Not sure how to measure that one) be causing the short? Is this line considered the 19v rail? Really new and trying to get a grasp on this..
    Attached Files

Re: Inspiron N5050 shorts out adapter

or shorted diode near power connector

Comment

Update: Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but battery side fet PU4003 measures the same as PU4002 so whatever is shorted is common and downstream to both fets?

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
        or shorted diode near power connector
        If that were the case wouldn't the first fet on the adapter side (PU3801) measure bad? It shows resistance in one direction, infinite in the other like it's suppose to...

Comment

Update: Have found PR4002 (p. 40) shorted to ground and upon removing it found PG4003, which is one of the pads PR4002 sits on, shorted also. PG4002 is not shorted. Does this mean PC4002 or PC4024 is the problem? Can I remove them both just to see?

Comment

Of course you can remove them. Ceramic caps are often the cause of shorts in laptops and cellphones.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

So I removed PC4024 and both pads the cap sits on are shorted to ground, how the heck am I gonna resolve this?

Comment

Already found an answer to my previous post. Both pads of PC4024 are shorted because PC4002 is shot when comparing it to my working board...

Comment

Found the shorted cap with my power supply, took 3 amps to show itself! Removed it, short is gone and now have standby power! Part number off the schematic is SC10U25V5KX-GP, is that what I search for? Because google leads me to datasheet archive and I'm not sure what I'm looking at

Comment

10u 25v. Ceramic caps are not critical at all, you simply remove one of the same size from a scrap board and it will do.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

dell N5050 3v,5v on but laptop is not on . bios flash

Comment

vostro 1550
                        10316-1
                        dv15 hr
                        48.4ip16.011 mbd
                        standby 3.3v & 5v not comming....ic i have already changed

Comment

Originally posted by p1muserfan View Post
                          Update: Have found PR4002 (p. 40) shorted to ground and upon removing it found PG4003, which is one of the pads PR4002 sits on, shorted also. PG4002 is not shorted. Does this mean PC4002 or PC4024 is the problem? Can I remove them both just to see?

good job thankyou

Comment

Working...
                          X