No announcement yet.

Sharp 70' LEDs Spike 260v at start up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp 70' LEDs Spike 260v at start up?

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32445357361.html
    something like this may work but what what and colour type im not sure plus you need too check anode and cathode matches your leds used
    It seems like the only way I'll know what LEDs I have is if I open it first and have a look see. But, a 70inch LCD screen laying around for a week waiting on parts doesn't seem like a good idea. I have no real "shop" so to speak. A living room, only....

Anyways, sad thing is I went ahead (wasn't easy) and ordered the 2 strips from the guy in the EBAY link above. May either CAUSE or SAVE me some pain... I know the pain is just getting started though, lol... Does it ever end?

And Diah,,, I'll include some pictures BUT I'm not seeing any definitive markings... Haha,,, my fingers are pretty tough (I usually am working on old cars),,, but not that steady, lol... I have no reason to believe (maybe some day) that I could EVER do the fine work of soldering all of those lights in. The only thing I think I would do is make a mess of things. I'm not as skilled...

Also,,, I cut into the negative wires on the groupings of LED feeds to try the lamp method. The TV hasn't worked since. Not even intermittently.... What is the BEST way to reconnect those wires so that they correctly deliver the proper voltages and currents on splicing them back together? The wire under the insulation is super thin. Is and could it be as simple as twisting, a drop of solder and shrink wrapping? I'm concerned about the cuts and reconnect.
    Attached Files

Comment

you can rework the cables again if you were not sure to bring them back as they should.. but don't blame the lamp test LOL cause its good enough to bypass fault at LEDs. you may try the led+ lines too ..

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
        you can rework the cables again if you were not sure to bring them back as they should.. but don't blame the lamp test LOL cause its good enough to bypass fault at LEDs. you may try the led+ lines too ..
        I didn't say it was the test,,,, I said I'm worried about it being the cuts,,, and asking about the best way to "rework" them...

Comment

twist and cover them with tape or twist solder them then tape them

Comment

twist and cover them with tape or twist solder them then tape them
            Will do...

Comment

When your ebay strips get delivered you can plug them in and make sure they work/or you have no other issue before you strip the panel down. I only repair as a hobby/no workshop so yes a pain when you have a lcd panel stripped down awaiting parts and you have to store it safe (on average to uk 30 days from ali express)

Comment

Ok. Strips came in and I am surprised and a bit confused. I hope you guys are still with me,,, somewhere, out there...

The strips seem impossibly small. See photo. If there were 3 together, being 20inches each, it would only cover 60inches. It's a 70inch TV. How are these things layed out in the set? 2 in bottom one on top?

I used the LED tester. Allllll lights light, which is a good thing and they look to be in pretty good shape. Tester says it takes 175v to light each. Is that right? The leads on the set were coming in at 160v or so. I really hope I don't have to solder ANYTHING. These lights are so so small. I have purchased a magnifying glass, .05 solder, a hot plate and a new iron with fine tips - I also have a heat gun around here somewhere. Oh, and no clean flux...

Anything I should know - besides WHAT IM DOING, of course, lol...
                Attached Files

Comment

they pass all 3 on bottom or top side...
                  TV 70 inch = Width 61 inch / Height 34.3 inch
                  about yours old strips if you are going to working on them.. easy way with heat gun from down side remove all... the area between each LED as in photo scratch them with shave plate then place solder at the3-4 area one time. align the SMD LED in place at correct direction then with iron heat the solder area little far from the led. the solder area complete will mild down so any small push from your finger on the LED will let it stick in place with out damaging the led self.
                  just be aware if the strips had several groups it will be the last LED of group go back to the socket and it should not soldered to next group first led as it will share same led + of the stips. and so on to all groups.

this is my way to do specially for 7030 6V SMD LED. complete strips will take less than one hour
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Diah; 02-18-2022, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Understood - except for this last part...

[COLOR="blue"] just be aware if the strips had several groups it will be the last LED of group go back to the socket and it should not soldered to next group first led as it will share same led + of the stips. and so on to all groups.

this is my way to do specially for 7030 6V SMD LED. complete strips will take less than one hour
                    What I THINK I am going to do is replace the worst 2 strips with the new strips. Then, of the 2 bad, remove the number of LEDs to make a complete and working third.

What I see with these "new" strips is that they each have a plug on them. 3 strips = the 3 groups,,,, which matches the 3 groupings I have on the plug...?

Comment

just focus now on how you take the screen apart with out damage it... then replace all three of them at once. the old one you can later play with them as you like to keep them ready for future.

the last parts didnt belong to you.. because each strips you have as one group so all LEDs one line led+ go to LED 1 and the last LED will go to led-

Comment

Understood. Thank You Thank You Thank You...

Comment

this is work on a sharp 60 le, should give you a rough idea of what to do, remember to handle the screen like a newborn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJUtrExz-aI

Comment

Great video... Thank you. I had seen that, but just watched it again.

This where I'm at...
                            I have 3 old led strips in hand.
                            TV is completely disassembled.
                            Screen came out (did it alone) and is set off to the side. Shweeeeeeeeew!

For now I think I should just stick to questions as I amin the middle of this and am not sure what to do next....

The best strip has 8 bad LEDs. The other two, they light up well up to a point and from there, individually, many of the LEDs in the strip PARTIALLY light, but not completely. Dim. A few in the PARTIALLY lit section are completely dead. What does this mean? A short?

One strip gives BRIGHT lights from end to end. With 8 bad LEDs. I guess I should go ahead and pull 8 good LEDs off the WORST strips, and try my hand (this is the hard part for me) at soldering them into the BEST single strip. The center BEST strip lights up the best by far.

Can I use super glue to adhere the strips once complete?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't sound too good, I think I would get all new led beads and replace them all, looks like a LOT of them are just worn out with the rest to follow probably sooner than later, you don't want to have to risk that screen getting damaged if you have to tear it down again, just because you didn't put in new leds.

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-19-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Great video... Thank you. I had seen that, but just watched it again.

This where I'm at...
                                  I have 3 old led strips in hand.
                                  TV is completely disassembled.
                                  Screen came out (did it alone) and is set off to the side. Shweeeeeeeeew!

For now I think I should just stick to questions as I amin the middle of this and am not sure what to do next....

The best strip has 8 bad LEDs. The other two, they light up well up to a point and from there, individually, many of the LEDs in the strip PARTIALLY light, but not completely. Dim. A few in the PARTIALLY lit section are completely dead. What does this mean? A short?

Comment

Re: WELL ILL BE DIPPED!

Success,,, well some...! Keeping my fingers crossed, of course.

Hmm. Full disclosure.
                                    I didn't have the courage (or skill, I felt) to tear into and do the soldering on the one "good" strip with 8 out of MANY LEDs. I sat there, looked and looked at it, and just chickened out. I mean, if I wrecked it, I would be stuck in the water.

Not bragging, the job was pretty easy and with the suction cups, there was no point on the removal or reinstall of the screen. In and out.

The difficulty was in the reinstall of the ribbons. Strange. Then, getting the defusers correct and clean and right...

What I'm left with:
                                    TV overall looks pretty great! I think.
                                    I have 3, maybe 4 barrrely perceivable black lines that run straight across the screen, horizontally. Super fine and thin... What is that? I figure it must be a poorly seated ribbon???? Please tell me what to do if you know. I still have the back off the set.

Then, because I may have poorly laid one of the 5!!! sheets and defusers I have one barrrely perceivable bright spot in the bottom corner exactly at the bottom border. Barely see it.

One of, the MAIN defuser, that comes right up against the LEDs on the bottom is SOLID, unbending.....and believe it or not, IT cracked or was cracked. Lest than 1 inch on the bottom middle right. Can't see it when playing the tube/TV...at all.

I'm going to practice soldering on the strips I have left because I KNOW I'll be having to perform more surgery in the future. The OE strip (center of the 3) is not as bright as the other 2 "new" LED strips. And yes, it has 8 dead leads. Damn damn damn... I did it to myself. Not enough courage, skill, or both.

You guys are amazing. Diah,,, I have your number ((literally, lol)) and I LOVE the site... Thanks SO SO SO much for y'all's help and guidance!

I have a trip computer for a 1990 Jaguar XJS that is playing up and replacing the capacitors and fixing that is next! Which forum category should I use???
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if the image quality on the site or posting this here will be clear enough. But these are the lines. They go completely across the screen, end to end, and to my untrained eye DON'T look like screen damage. What say you?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

good work.
                                        the noise thin horizontally lines caused as you thought because of ribbon need to clean the contact pins and seated them carefully.. as they are old and already dried out so easily the contact pins break out

the solid first reflector plate.. early years at time LCD TV manufacturing 65 size and above the most brands they used 2 pieces of this reflector and clue it with double transparent tape to be one pieces increasing the size.

Comment

Working...
                                        X