Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iMac with bulging capaciters

Originally posted by Mettiu
    Since lately I started getting the system to hang sometimes, I decided to substitute the bad capaciters with new ones.
    ..........replaced by others (I don't know the brand) with the same characteristics, but now.. the system doesn't boot anymore.
    How is this possible?
    Originally posted by willawake
    the caps they put i cannot recognise the brand probably shit
    but that should not be a problem initially
    Originally posted by kc8adu
    if it still ran there is no reason for it not to after the recap.
    Originally posted by Wizard
    I tried to use different capacitor on a board and I couldn't get it pass prime95. So I had to redo it correctly with proper capacitors.
    The first MOBO I recapped 3 or 4 years ago had all caps damaged, the caps around CPU were completely exploded on the top... but it was able to boot. At that time I was ignorant about badcaps so I didn't check the PSU.
    Recently I tried to save a P4PB MOBO that had crap CGS caps completely ruined, the MOBO was able to BOOT but it crashed any time Win tried to start.
    So I think, like some of you have written, that even if you use a non LOW ESR caps, the MOBO should boot if you use caps with right uF value and voltage ratings. They can't be worst than exploded/bulged/leaking caps.
    If MOBO doesn't boot after recap, probably something have been damaged, there is a short circuit somewhere or some parts have been mounted in the wrong way.
    Originally posted by pentium
    So it looks like the PSU needs to be recapped.
    Maybe after recapping an powering it up the PSU has died suddenly, that is possible.

Originally posted by Newbie2
    He's in a small town in Italy, so the correct low ESR caps may not be available to him.
    I had the same problem, I live in Italy in a small town, but I was able to order Panasonic FM caps from RSComponents.
    I contacted Digikey, they have good caps but I had no clear information about price and delivery charges.
    There is also Distrelec but they have only Rubycon ZL and ZLH as good caps. They have also Nic Caps NRSZ Series but I don't know if they are a good brand.

Ciao
    Gianni
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Comment

NIC Components is a good Japanese brand.
      They are a smaller company so one hears about them less often.

There is a confusion between NIC and another company.
      There is a non-Japanese brand that has the same name (for their company) as one of NIC Components series' of caps.

It's not intentional/deliberate/fraud/counterfeit, it's just confusing.

If you see NRSY with a NIC logo then it's a NIC Components NRSY series cap.
      [Good cap]

If you see NRSY *with no NIC logo* then it's the other brand of cap and the "NRSY" is the company logo - not the series.
      [Questionable cap - Supermicro uses them sometimes.]

There may or may not be a series number on NRSY ~brand~ caps.
      Some have series marked, some don't.
      Most I've seen had the series on them.
      [They wouldn't put both the NRSY logo AND a series name if they were trying to fake being NIC brand.]

~~~

There will be a NIC logo on NIC brand NRSY series caps.

It's easy.... No NIC logo then it's not NIC brand.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Even with good general purpose caps of the same rating, your motherboard should still be able to POST if it did POST last time with the bad caps, unless something wrong happened in the repair process.

The generic caps can even be temporary until better caps can be purchased.
        My gaming PC:
        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
        ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
        PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
        G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
        TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
        WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
        ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
        Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
        Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            NIC Components is a good Japanese brand.
            They are a smaller company so one hears about them less often.
            Ramsey still uses Nic caps on their kits 10uf and lower capacitance. I didn't know that they were a Japanese brand or if they were good caps though good to know.

They always use high quality caps on their kits (Panasonic, Chemicon, Nichicon, etc) so it's good to know that they still are using good caps.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
            X