Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 2493HM On the way out

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the Badcaps forum for a while trying to find a solution to my Samsung 2493HM's intermittent death. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a solution to my exact problem. I'll list my observations below:

-Screen suddenly goes black, this includes a loss of HDMI speaker output. This occurs both with video/audio from PC and PS3. The power light remains lit solid when this happens.

- If I leave it unplugged for a period of time it will work again for a period. I had it sitting unplugged for a few weeks and it worked flawlessly for a day and a half. Once it packed up again, a short cool-down was giving me 5-10 minutes use (or nothing at all)

- After leaving it powered on with a black screen, sometimes there will be a series of intermittent pops. These follow no obvious pattern and range in loudness.

- Occasionally after the screen blacks out there will be a loud screech and the screen will burst back to life. If I give the screen a good tap on the bezel I can force it to do this the odd time.

- A quick inspection of the power supply board by my not-quite-untrained eyes didn't reveal any bulging caps. I did notice what appeared to be burn marks around the edge of the logic board, but I'm no expert, so that may not be the case.

At any rate I'll crack it open again and take some decent photos. Thanks in advance.

Re: Samsung 2493HM On the way out

Originally posted by Ta10n View Post
    At any rate I'll crack it open again and take some decent photos.
    1) Post clear focused top down view photos of all your boards following my sig file below exactly.

2) Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      1) Post clear focused top down view photos of all your boards following my sig file below exactly.

2) Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?
      Pictures are attached. Let me know if more views or closeups of anything would help.

I have a multimeter, but I don't know how to use it. I may be able to get one of my electronically inclined friends to help me with this part.
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a multimeter, but I don't know how to use it. I may be able to get one of my electronically inclined friends to help me with this part.
        1) Get one of them to show you how to measure DC voltage.

2) Measure each pin of the 3 connectors (circled in red).

3) Measure each pin on the 3 connectors when the monitor is working. This is your reference.

4) Do the same when the monitor is not working.

5) Report both.
        Attached Files
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Alright, finally some progress. I've got results from the two connectors going to the logic board. My electronically inclined friend doesn't like to mess around with high voltage stuff (and I don't blame him), so measurements are from the logic board side.

We also swapped a blown cap on the logic board, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Working-Not working

--- ---
          5.3v -N/A
          2.3v -0.1v
          2.9v -0.1v
          0.6v -0.2v
          4.4v -0.2v
          ---

--- ---
          N/A -N/A
          N/A -N/A
          5.4v -0.5 - 3.9v
          5.4v -0.5 - 3.9v
          5.4v -0.5 - 3.9v
          GND -GND
          GND -GND
          GND -GND
          N/A -N/A
          N/A -N/A
          N/A -N/A
          GND -GND
          GND -GND
          GND -GND
          5.2v -5.2v
          3.2v -3.2v
          --- ---

The fluctuating 5v seems to be tied to the speaker popping when the display isn't working.

Comment

Here is a scientific test for you - with it all set up and working try warming one board at a time with a hair dryer to try and get it to go off quicker. When /if you find a board that that does that try and narrow the heating down to different sections of that board.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

My electronically inclined friend doesn't like to mess around with high voltage stuff (and I don't blame him), so measurements are from the logic board side.
              All those connectors I circled in red are on the cold side.

We also swapped a blown cap on the logic board, but that hasn't fixed the problem.
              I didn't see a blown cap on the logic board at first glance, but I do notice that L903 has a crack at the top. L903 is an inductor.

Which cap was bad on the logic board?
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

All those connectors I circled in red are on the cold side.
                Oh, I meant the proximity to high voltage components. Neither of us has particularly steady hands.

Which cap was bad on the logic board?
                Picture attached. We we're taking a closer look at the burn marks on the logic board when we noticed the big one in the center of the frame wasn't straight. Turns out it had popped and was leaking from the bottom.
                Attached Files

Comment

Just to check did you put the new one the right way round - polarity matters..

Any joy with the hair dryer?
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                    Just to check did you put the new one the right way round - polarity matters..

Any joy with the hair dryer?
                    Yep, double checked and everything

Still need to try the hair dryer trick, I'll probably attempt that tonight.

Comment

Working...
                    X