Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFI-AK74-SC successful ghetto recap!

Well kind of not nearly 100% perfect...
    This board and Thunderbird 1 GHz cpu, I got for free, along with an Enlight case.
    It wasn't stable. At the time I hadn't learned about bad caps.
    It had run consistent for me for a short time, but soon I noticed not shutting down, BSOD, lockups playing videos, and strange NIC behavior in several PCI slots.

I discovered a handful of small G-LUXON 1000uF 10V caps around the slots and 1 at the cpu area were bulged. A-ha!

Since the board was expendible, and I had a donor Gigabyte socket A board with a dead PS-2 jack...I did a real ghetto recapping session. I desoldered 4 1000uF caps that appear to be still good from the Gigabyte and proceeded to hastily desolder the bad caps from the DFI.
    I discovered my 23-30W Weller iron wasn't hot enough. So, in my impatience, I fired up the 140/100W Weller soldering gun!

Even it took some time! But I developed a technique to pop them out without messing up the vias. I popped the replacements in reverse manner in no time.

I did fire up the mboard/cpu on my desk, and it came to life and soon shut down.

In my happy place, I got careless and installed a cap into an unused spot at the AGP slot! !#$#%%$#@ It was supposed to be at the middle of the AGP slot.
    I got another cap and soldered it in the right vias. But left the extra one in place because I feared more degradation of the mboard from further work.

Tried powering again, and still no joy. Then I remember this board will shut down to protect the cpu if the fan or temps were out of range. And I had issues in the past getting rpm data.
    A reset of BIOS and this time it came to life!!
    Relief!

Everything seems to function, the extra cap doesn't appear to be harming anything, and the rpm data is missing though. I suspect certain fans won't play well with it, a Thermaltake Volcano-6 HSF worked fine last time. But too loud IMO.
    So I replaced the 60mm with a 80mm Evercool.

I installed Win 2000.4 and it's been stable for the last 5 hrs.
    That Sparkle 230W psu is so darn noisy on my desk!

This was my first recap lucky it was successful. Will take a more professional approach on my next mboard. Now where's that bad Powerman I have?

“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Re: DFI-AK74-SC successful ghetto recap!

LOL, solder gun! Making dead stuff work is what its all about.

Comment

If you come across a Globalwin Cak488, I'd suggest it as a heatsink upgrade, if you really use aluminium atm, it should reduce temperatures by 50% it's also automatic thermally controlled fan with a clever adapter that prevents deadzones.

Too bad you own a Volcano also (big but very very stupid), I have one I think it's the Xaser special edition one, man it's the worst heatsink I ever owned, the grade of copper Thermaltake use to achieve such poor performance I wonder, I bought one out of interest despite owning 3
      Globalwins already, LMAO the extreme poor cooling performance and need for ear
      bleeding fan speed/noise to keep it within acceptable temperatures even for idle

http://www.pcbulb.com/product/socket...cak4/cak41.jpg

CAK38-II also a good choice with a good 60-80mm adaptor and a good fan such as
      one with golfball/dimple effect blades for higher cooling without higher noise.
      Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

I am using a GlobalWin CPU cooler at the moment. I must agree that it is great! The model I have is the CAK4-88T. Great cooler for AMD K7 and Intel P4-478 processors! I have the U.S version with the nice LED's.
        To me LED's mean nothing and is useless for me, however I picked it up for Aus$15. What a bargain!
        Thing is that the LED's seemed to have died now, they do not light up at all.
        Oh well! It's not like they did anything!

Here are the specs for the cooler if anyone is interested:

http://www.globalwin.com.tw/products...4-88t(us).html

Comment

Hahaha, I agree, the design of the Volcano 6Cu is pretty bad. A waster of copper...the slug only makes contact to the rest of the heatsink at its edges! And that 7000rpm fan!
          Luckily I didn't buy it on its own, it came along with a used Palomino XP-2100+.

I also have the standard Volcano 6 aluminum. Not much difference in performance with the 6Cu.
          I got it, along with another used generic socket A cooler, and 2 new Arctic Cooling 2TC HSF's part of a bulk purchase for $15.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=15&disc

The Thermaltake Volcanos have been stripped of their noisy fans and 80mm quiet fans grafted to the top. Good enough for low wattage Athlons/Celerons/P3s. About 38-42C.

I am using the 2TC for my hotter overclocked T'bred. I had to move its thermistor in order to get the fan to spin faster though. I think its performance is marginal...48C idle, 51C peak. At least it's quiet. But I'm uncertain if I can overclock further. That GlobalWin looks like a winner. I may seek it out if I get that Barton core.
          ;D
          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Working...
          X