Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS-16JB1 1.0 (Problem with KBC or BIOS?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS-16JB1 1.0 (Problem with KBC or BIOS?)

Hello all, how do I know if a laptop has problem with KBC or BIOS?

When I turn it on, fan spins for 1-2 seconds then shuts off, have to disconnect all power to trigger power on. The stepdown IC provides 5V and 3.3V, but I'm getting 0V in BIOS pin 1,5,8. I downloaded BIOS from MSI website and flashed it and it still got the same symptoms.

And I recently read that there's an EC ROM inside KBC and can be read with a programmer like this one.

KBC is KB9028Q
    Last edited by orientalsniper; 07-24-2018, 12:53 PM.

Re: MS-16JB1 1.0 (Problem with KBC or BIOS?)

Id look more into why the bios isnt getting its power, If its responding to the power button the ec is at least partially working, Since the bios isnt getting power it shouldn't be a bios fault. Poke around what switches the power for the bios or the regulator that provides it.

Comment

Hello, sorry, my bad, but the laptop turns on by itself when I plug power adapter, the power button has 1.3V. When it turns off I can't turn it on with power button unless I replug power adapter.

VREG5 and VREG3 have their own 5V and 3.3V, so I assume LDO IC is good.

EDIT: I can't trigger power button, but there's a battery reset hole under the laptop (check image), if I press it, the motherboard reboots (led's on and fan spins up again).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by orientalsniper; 07-25-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

The power button voltage is low, check the ribbon cables and power button for corrosion,liquid damage ,and the connector on motherboard .
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Id agree it looks low, so far only seen 3.3v at switches on laptops. I have had a few that if you hold the power switch for 20 seconds or more it will power off. Check that the kbc is getting the right power, the hp-pavilion-17-f103nr seams to use the same kbc, the schematic shows the power pins.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello to you both, KBC is getting 3.3V in all power pins 9, 22, 33, 96, 125, 111, 124, 67

I don't see corrosion in either power button or ribbon cable.

Owner said laptop had issues powering it on, but once it powered on, he could use it normally. And sometimes it booted up into BIOS setup screen when starting cold.

Comment

Btw, I attached a schematic that is very similar to the motherboard I'm repairing, same KBC and BIOS chip.

EDIT: I'm getting 0V in RSMRST# Is it supposed to be high or low voltage?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by orientalsniper; 07-26-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Read this:

FIRST RESET SIGNAL ON COMPUTER CIRCUIT

RSMRST#
                When the Power,Bios,Ec are OK, the RSMRST# will go Hi. In the other word,this pin go Low only when the systemreset.If BIOSdata is error,RSMRST# won’t go HI.
                When SIO(EC) get +V_RTC
                thecrystal will work.
                1. RTC have to be oscillating(32.768KHz).
                2. RTCRST# have to be high.
                3. RSMRST# have to be inactive (high).
                4. PWRBTN# have a trigger.
                5. LOW_BAT# have to be inactive (high).
                If this 5 present, then EC will recieve SLP_S3# / SLP_S5 from ICH/PCH, in the old ICH or some deferent circuirity SLP_S3 and SLP_S5 will generate directly from ICH,or both EC and PCH having this signal also.
                When All+V?S/+V? powers are ready, PWR_GOOD will tie to high to turn on CPU powers(+VCCP and +VCC_CORE).

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                  If BIOSdata is error,RSMRST# won’t go HI.

So my problem is with BIOS? Does anyone have a BIOS dump for MS-16JB1 1.0 (GE72VR 7RF)

Comment

looks like the msi site has the bios on it, looks to be the right size. Id make a backup first.
                    https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/G...pache-Pro.html
                    Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-05-2022, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IDislikemakingLogins View Post
                      looks like the msi site has the bios on it, looks to be the right size. Id make a backup first.
                      https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/G...pache-Pro.html
                      No, its this one https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/G...-Pro#down-bios
                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by orientalsniper View Post
                        Btw, I attached a schematic that is very similar to the motherboard I'm repairing, same KBC and BIOS chip.

EDIT: I'm getting 0V in RSMRST# Is it supposed to be high or low voltage?
                        Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X