Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG - 49UB850V-ZD - No Video/Audio. Standby LED 3 Blinks. At My Wit's End!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG - 49UB850V-ZD - No Video/Audio. Standby LED 3 Blinks. At My Wit's End!

Evening All,

Having some trouble with an LG TV that failed a couple of months outside the warranty period.

Link to the model here:- http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UB850V

Before I start, I should say that although I've fixed a few simple things in the past, I know nothing about TVs other than what I've picked up trying to troubleshoot this and I'm not the sharpest when it comes to electronics or circuit diagrams so please bear with me if something simple goes way over my head

I have looked through as many threads, Youtube videos and repair guides as I can find but can't see any that seem to be the exact same issue. This thing is driving me up the wall so would really appreciate any input at all.

The Problem:-

Tried to turn the set on as normal one day and found it essentially dead. No Video. No Audio. No Backlight. No steady LED standby light on front of TV.

On pressing the standby button on the remote (or the joystick on the back of the TV), the standby LED blinks on-off 3-times and then stays off permanently until you disconnect & reconnect the power from the mains.

On the power board, there is a debug LED (LD701) which blinks amber on-off 5 times, repeatedly. This happens around 30 seconds after an attempt to turn the set on using the standby button.

What I've Tried:-

Firstly, I managed to find an LG service manual for a similar model that looks close enough for the instructions to be relevant. PDF attached.

Tried turning the set off from the mains for 12 hours and back on as sometimes suggested by LG support. No difference.

Checked the power board visually for any bad capacitors/resistors but can't see anything that looks bulged/burnt/damaged. I realise something could still have failed without any obvious signs but my soldering isn't great and I didn't think taking the big caps off the board to test them outside the circuit was a good idea before I'd checked the voltages.

Checked all the voltages on the 28-pin connector that joins the main board to the logic board as suggested by the service manual. Readings:-

3.5v = 3.54v (Standby & Power On)
    12v = 11.79v (Power On)
    24v = 23.7v (Power On)
    SLCK, SW & YSYNC = All 1v (Power On)

Also spotted a row of test points for what I'm guessing are the LED circuits at the top of the PSU board so tested them as well in case anything jumped out.

P210 = 48.8v
    EL85 = 0.8v
    EL86 = 0.82v
    EL87 = 0.8v
    EL82 = 0.82v
    EL83 = 0.8v
    EL84 = 0.82v
    EL79 = 0.76v
    EL80 = 0.81v
    EL81 = 0.85v
    EL78 = 0.78v
    EL77 = 0.78v
    EL76 = 0.8v

Not quite sure what values these should be at so these readings didn't really tell me much.

I tried the flashlight test to see if I could pick up any image at all on the screen. Saw nothing - completely black.

Tried the hairdryer trick (Don't have a heat gun sadly) on the BGA mounted components on the Logic board (took off the heatsinks first) as a lot of people reported this had solved similar problems. No Difference.

Next Steps:-

I was pretty confused at this point as the LG manual seems to indicate you should replace the Logic board if you have no power but the main connector voltages all test OK. On the other hand, threads & videos (especially ones related to the flashlight test) were suggesting it would be a failed backlight in this situation.

As I thought I'd probably destroy the TV for good if I took the screen apart to start following guides on how to test the LEDs, I said I may as well change the Logic board as LG suggest, and the engineer at the parts supply website I ordered from in the UK also thought that was the most likely fault.

I swapped the new logic board in today and the issue is still there. The only difference it has made is that the steady red standby LED now comes on as soon as the mains power is connected. It still blinks 3 times and then stays off when you try to take the TV off standby.

I've attached photos of the set as it currently stands with the new logic board. They seem to have got compressed a lot in uploading but I think you can still make out the details - if not, let me know and I will try to find a better way to upload.

I'll be very grateful for suggestions on what to try next. I was hoping the new logic board would be the answer but it didn't cost much so I'm not too cut up about the fact it didn't work. The TV will only go in the bin if I don't fix it so I'm happy to start disassembling the screen and de-soldering at this stage although if swapping a board would fix it I'd rather do that and play it safe.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hermes07; 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM.

Re: LG - 49UB850V-ZD - No Video/Audio. Standby LED 3 Blinks. At My Wit's End!

Sorry to pester but anyone have any thoughts/ideas at all on this?

Not going to be economical to send for repair so it will only go in the bin.

Comment

What does the black and white connectors on the Psu do when the set tries to power up ? Seems to me like the Led driver isnt running. Also what voltage have you got across the main caps ?
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

With the back off do the leds flash briefly when you power up?
        Can you give the DC voltages on P801 & P802 when you power up. They may initially be high and then drop quickly so if you have a max min on your meter would prove useful
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Hi,

Revival of an old thread, but was there any resolution to your issue? I'm having the same issue with an LG 50UF8300 set. Went through a bunch of the same checks as you (connections, capacitors, etc). Through i narrowed it down to the t-conn or logic board as the voltages seemed to check out on the legend listed on the power board.
          Initially, the TV powered on, LEDs would illuminate, but no picture. Sound was there. Replaced the tconn board, same symptoms. Power on, LEDs illuminate, sound OK, but still no picture.
          Recently replaced the logic board, and now the TV tries to power on, red standby light at the joystick will flash 3 times. And now similar to your initial symptoms, the debug light (LD 701) will flash in 5x groupings. Ive tried to look up what this blink code means, but am not getting anywhere.

so in summation:
          TV picture went out. LEDs light up. sound OK
          Replaced Tconn board. TV still no picture. LEDs light up. sound OK
          Replaced logic board. No picture, no sound, and no LEDs. BUT standby light flashes 3x and debug light (LD 701) flashes in groups of 5.

No obvious blown capacitors and voltages seem to check out.

Im a mechanical engineer, so my electrical background is limited. Just trying to go from most common to least common problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

So this means the replacement Main Bd. is either bad or the wrong one for your set. Your original Main Bd. is good. Put back in the original Main bd. and verify you are at the point where you started, TV power on, backlights on, no picture with audio. With the TV disconnected from the ac. remove the LEFT FFC from the T-CON Bd. to the Panel. Power on and see if you have half a picture. Unplug the TV from the ac and reconnect the LEFT FFC and remove the RIGHT FFC to the Panel. Power on and see if you have half a picture. Report your findings.

Comment

Ok, so i put the old (original) logic board back in and did as you said. When unplugging the FFCs, the side that is unplugged goes solid white and the side still connected stays black.
              Volume, input changes can be heard, but no visual cues on either side. This is true for both sides. Attached a photo of dichotomy.
              Attached Files

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by besetbyall View Post
                  hi,

revival of an old thread, but was there any resolution to your issue? I'm having the same issue with an lg 50uf8300 set. Went through a bunch of the same checks as you (connections, capacitors, etc). Through i narrowed it down to the t-conn or logic board as the voltages seemed to check out on the legend listed on the power board.
                  Initially, the tv powered on, leds would illuminate, but no picture. Sound was there. Replaced the tconn board, same symptoms. Power on, leds illuminate, sound ok, but still no picture.
                  Recently replaced the logic board, and now the tv tries to power on, red standby light at the joystick will flash 3 times. And now similar to your initial symptoms, the debug light (ld 701) will flash in 5x groupings. Ive tried to look up what this blink code means, but am not getting anywhere.

So in summation:
                  Tv picture went out. Leds light up. Sound ok
                  replaced tconn board. Tv still no picture. Leds light up. Sound ok
                  replaced logic board. No picture, no sound, and no leds. But standby light flashes 3x and debug light (ld 701) flashes in groups of 5.

No obvious blown capacitors and voltages seem to check out.

Im a mechanical engineer, so my electrical background is limited. Just trying to go from most common to least common problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

any luck on this set?

Comment

May have bought a bad tcon?

Comment

They have a few differrent panels for these
                      and hence a few diff boards

post pics of the main boards showing part numbers please.

could still be mainboard bad or tcon or badpanel.

Comment

My last try was going to be the Main Board.

My first try was the T-conn, with no change.
                        Then the Logic board with slight change, but no picture still.

I did as andrew suggested above and got the results shown in the pictures.

Now my debate is the Power board.
                        Take a change, replace, and hopefully get a working set finally.
                        Or just invest in a new TV.
                        With the trouble shooting though, I now have a spare Tconn and logic board.
                        PNs:
                        Power Board - EAY64029601
                        Logic Board - EBT63972503

Comment

Try heating the capacitors on the powerboard a little with a hair dryer, see if tv responds.

Comment

Working...
                          X